Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Re: Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

Post by Gibbo2286 »

An interesting video but I disagree on many of the points made.
Hydrogen, it's not going to happen for the private motor car the whole of the petrol sales forecourt system would need to be upgraded to take the very high pressures required to store it and the tankers to carry it also, for HGVs with transport bases and their own storage it might work, if they can get to the stage where it can be produced 'green' in sufficient quantity instead of as at present 'grey' i.e. largely from fossil fuels. JCB as mentioned is of course not a road vehicle it's a site machine probably suited to being not far from its on-site fuel storage.
HGVs with battery swapping technology can work for huge vehicles and long distances and cheaper than diesels to fuel and maintain.
The environmental costs of producing EVs are not so different to producing ICEs and the cost of extracting oil and shipping it around the world is continuous long after the vehicles are built.
Lithium is mined with less environmental damage than drilling for oil and it's not going to destroy large areas of the oceans with 'spills.
More cobalt is used in oil refining than in batteries which are in fact moving away from it........................ :wink:
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The FCF has a number of relevant threads with plenty of discussion/news on elements raised in the video. I would recommend having a peruse and making your own mind up, take an interest and post up new developments as you come across them. I think I have come to my own conclusions, admittedly with my own confirmation bias of course. :-D
The most significant thread I would say is number 1.
1. I-Spy a fuel Cell Vehicle (or an H2 pump)
viewtopic.php?t=71214&hilit=hydrogen
a challenge and hardly a post made!
2. The Hydrogen Thread
viewtopic.php?t=62501&hilit=hydrogen
20 pages, and the place for all hydrogen news and developments.
3. e-fuel, synthetic fuel, bio-fuel still alive?
viewtopic.php?t=67289&hilit=hydrogen
Yes Porsche's Chilean escapade included.
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

:rant2: I do find the 'BEV vs ICE vs whatever alternative you might have' argument as to what is the future somewhat laughable. 'Dancing on the head of a pin' springs to mind. There is no such thing as a 'green' car - they all screw the planet in some form or other. Some do it better than others, some do it in ways unseen - but they all do it. I don't really have much time for the 'My car wrecks the planet slightly slower than yours' argument. If you want to be 'green', don't own a car :twisted: :rant2:

.....and now the weather forecast :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

I'm happy to stay "Red or Blue or any damn thing but Green' as Johnny Cash may have said, for the time being! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It's amazing what one finds in a pub car park these days... Apart from Mick that is :lol:
20230711_141915.jpg
Big, hefty ones too... 63 and 75KW

These are at the Kings Arms in Paggers... Mick tells me they serve a very good pint of Timothy Taylors Landlord there too :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

If you have an ev you soon become familiar with Zapmap. Yet another clumsy but still useful desktop website version, but maybe the app works like clockwork on those smartphone things

Here's familiar territory for you Jim as an example
https://www.zap-map.com/live/<br />Milton Keynes
https://www.zap-map.com/live/
Milton Keynes
and some details about the Kings Arms Osprey Chargers. One of the first to up their prices to £1/kWh, and on the Falcon avoid unless desperate list. Come down now to 79p/kWh, higher than many. Home charging is around 30p/kWh.
Kings Arms Chargers
Kings Arms Chargers
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent! That Zapmap looks like a most essential adjunct to EV ownership!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

1690135346536.png
NewcastleFalcon

Reminded me of other over the pavement danglers here
Garages Gallery Ancient and Modern
viewtopic.php?p=763133#p763133

In certain aspects the electrical vehicles infrastructure is still in the age of dangling over the pavement petrol stations in the 1930's. Solutions to the charging wire trailing over the pavement seem to defy a bit of creative thought, with tunnelling under, or putting one of those cable covers across the path both frowned upon. Of course the petrol infrastructure never solved this "problem" either and the fuel station in the house/flat/high rise block was never a pre-requisite to owning and driving a petrol car, and the same will be and currently is true for owning and driving an electric car.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

myglaren wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 14:07 Image
I can't help thinking the user hasn't quite understood the purpose of the gantry!! #-o
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Indeed, a dismal failure if ever there was one.
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

myglaren wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 14:07 Image
:rofl2:
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 14:40 Reminded me of other over the pavement danglers here
Garages Gallery Ancient and Modern
viewtopic.php?p=763133#p763133

In certain aspects the electrical vehicles infrastructure is still in the age of dangling over the pavement petrol stations in the 1930's. Solutions to the charging wire trailing over the pavement seem to defy a bit of creative thought, with tunnelling under, or putting one of those cable covers across the path both frowned upon. Of course the petrol infrastructure never solved this "problem" either and the fuel station in the house/flat/high rise block was never a pre-requisite to owning and driving a petrol car, and the same will be and currently is true for owning and driving an electric car.

Neil
I've got a feeling that with the uptake on electric vehicles that phone/media companies will take advantage of it. Why not get phone, broadband and car charge on the same package??
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 27 Apr 2023, 09:21 My Zoe was all alone on charge at Tesco yesterday, I've never seen more than three cars using the five chargers available yet we keep hearing "You have to queue." from the naysayers, sneaked a free charge again two fifteen minutes sessions.
Bit of electrical infrastructure news on the TESCO/Pod Point front.

The evidence of the last couple of visits to 2 different Tesco's to the electric drinking trough has revealed that the days of the "free 15 minutes" are now the "free 5 minutes". Pod Point on their app still quote that you need to confirm a charge in 15 minutes, but the machines cut out at 5 minutes now.

Is it the same in deepest Gloucestershire Gibbo :?:

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Not sure Neil, I pop it on charge every time I shop and it's switched off when I return so for how long it's charging is a guess although it usually adds about 20 miles to the range.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)