Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Re: Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

Post by mickthemaverick »

Not much good if you don't have the app available!! :?
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

There's this from a motorway services website:
Government Intervention

In March 2021, Transport Minister Rachel Maclean told Electrifying.com that the British government would be spending nearly £1 billion on improving the electric vehicle chargers on main roads. She said every motorway service area would have at least six rapid chargers by 2023, and that there would be 6,000 chargers across the major road network by 2030. These would be available to all road users with a contactless payment card, and the companies provided them would be contractually bound to provide a service that works at least 99% of the time, and to provide a 24 hour customer support line.

Lots more on that site here:
https://motorwayservices.uk/Electric_Ca ... int_Brands
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Just been to Toolstation which is adjacent to this petrol station and see that they have installed some charging bays.
IMG_20230401_101018507_HDR.jpg
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

That's a Fastned trademark site. Netherlands company, expanding in the UK.

https://fastnedcharging.com/en
temp2 1.png
"Sunderland City Council with Fastned has introduced six fast charging stations – four 50kw fast chargers, two 175kW enabled for 350 kW."

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

First time we have used the Pod-Point Chargers at TESCO Kingston Park, but the price for the 7kW Charger is now 44p/kWh up from 28p/kWh. The last few times previously we used the chargers in spite of showing on the Pod-point app as 28p/kWh we got our sessions gratis.

There isn't a rapid 50 kWh charger at Tesco Extra Kingston Park but looks like they are now 62p/kWh elsewhere

Gibbo's Lydney Store. the AC charger which at 22kW is now 49p/kWh.

Tesco Extra Newcastle https://charge.pod-point.com/address/te ... tyne-qz1y0

Tesco Lydney https://charge.pod-point.com/address/te ... reet-ww6wp

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 18:08 It occurs to me that this price increase based on charging speed is a bit of a con. Surely generating energy costs the same per kW no matter how fast you consume it? So basically they are charging people for the time they save by using faster chargers on the basis that many people will be prepared to pay more for the same thing if it happens to be more convenient!! :shock: :-D
The faster chargers do have a higher initial capital investment, and ongoing maintenance and repair, heavy duty cables and bespoke connectors. The slower ones you use your own cable and plug it into a "Type 2 Socket" nothing particularly clever about them and should be pretty reliable.

ChargeplaceScotland as of the website today still do 50kW DC rapid Chargers at 30p/kWh in the Borders and as you get closer Edinburgh it would seem like Dunbar (East Lothian) the other Day 40p/kWh. The 7kW post in Kelso was 15p/kWh last time we used it.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Just as a reference for ongoing economic benefit of EV, I have put this spreadsheet together. I can feed in whatever the raw prices are so I have used today's prices for this example.:

Click on the image to enlarge
Own work - spreadsheet available if anyone wants it!
Own work - spreadsheet available if anyone wants it!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 18:12 First time we have used the Pod-Point Chargers at TESCO Kingston Park, but the price for the 7kW Charger is now 44p/kWh up from 28p/kWh. The last few times previously we used the chargers in spite of showing on the Pod-point app as 28p/kWh we got our sessions gratis.

There isn't a rapid 50 kWh charger at Tesco Extra Kingston Park but looks like they are now 62p/kWh elsewhere

Gibbo's Lydney Store. the AC charger which at 22kW is now 49p/kWh.

Tesco Extra Newcastle https://charge.pod-point.com/address/te ... tyne-qz1y0

Tesco Lydney https://charge.pod-point.com/address/te ... reet-ww6wp

Neil
But you don't have 'confirm' on the app until you've been plugged in for 15 minutes and if you're crafty you can unplug and plug in again for another free 15 minutes.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Took a round trip to Gloucester then on to Worcester and back to Ross on Wye today had to charge at Morrisons in Ross, a geniepoint charger, a bit of a hassle to get registered. :(
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 19:06 Took a round trip to Gloucester then on to Worcester and back to Ross on Wye today had to charge at Morrisons in Ross, a geniepoint charger, a bit of a hassle to get registered. :(
In our pre-smart phone days I had one of those hassles at a geniepoint in Gosforth. It was sorted out well on the phone, and effectively on those chargers I can use my bank card as an "RFID" card as they linked it into my previously set up Genie Point Account. Don't use geniepoint often now as they are up to 75p/kWh now.

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 18:51 Just as a reference for ongoing economic benefit of EV, I have put this spreadsheet together. I can feed in whatever the raw prices are so I have used today's prices for this example.:
We are going through a bit of a different phase now, and its all a bit unpredictable. I would not bank on personal motoring to be any cheaper one way or the other according to what power unit is in your vehicle. Electricity will not stay the same price over the next 5 years, neither will Petrol or Diesel. I haven't a clue which way that equilibrium will shift. The detached hybrid works well for me so far, and residual values on both BB Leaf and BB Micra are currently better than anticipated when I took the plunge. :-D

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Does that mean the BB Micra is worth two cases of wine now? :-D
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 20:06 Does that mean the BB Micra is worth two cases of wine now? :-D
At least!

It was the Clio though which was the original 6 bottles of wine car Mick I paid £100 cash for the Micra!. At the last WB and Sons Auction there was a Clio exact age, the same colour but a two door with no MOT, and "needed an alternator belt", and a bit rough around the edges. Had some decent tyres on it so I thought I might bid on it for a spares car. Some mad person paid £410 for it.
The BB Clio (4 Door) is at least twice as good as that one!

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Aah! I had them mixed up in my mind #-o
Two cases of Whisky is probably nearer the mark then! 10 year old Glenfarclas of course!! :-D
Last edited by mickthemaverick on 03 Apr 2023, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

BFTW
BFTW