Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

A first-hand experience of the importance of the 12V battery to the Leaf from 2021, and maybe a case of the traction battery with plenty of charge it, not doing what I imagined it would be set up to do, and keeping the 12V battery topped up. Maybe it needs to be in drive and actively being used for the traction battery to do the "alternator replacement job" of keeping the 12V battery topped-up. I certainly found a combination of circumstances to deplete the 12V battery, while the traction battery probably had 8 to 10 kWh available.

The circumstances were I had managed to leave the car unlocked, lights turned on, maybe even with the car in the "on" position with the car in "park". Not entirely sure, but after maybe a 5 hour visit on return to the car, the fob didn't even activate the hazards.

The next day discovered that the 12V battery read 4.5V and the car was dead in virtually all respects, but quickly resurrected by a new 12V Battery and I haven't repeated my error since.

full tale here
viewtopic.php?p=697694#p697694

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

On the Hybrid4 the 12v charging is not engaged until you activate the driving system. If the ignition is just switched on you are running off the 12v service battery only with no auto top up from the traction battery as it depletes. As on a normal car, if you do short runs with everything switched on, like in winter, then the 12v will not fully recharge. The 12v battery works all the ECUs so, when it goes low, you get problems.
NewcastleFalcon

With Northumberland County Council bumping up their on the road charger prices up from 35p to 65p, Pod-point have become our regular charge up places at 40p/kWh for the 50kW DC Rapid chargers at Lidl, and the 7kW AC chargers at Tesco at 28p/kWh.

Tesco Extra at Kingston Park is one of those huge stores, but they only have four 7kW AC chargers. The Leaf has a 6.6kWh on board charger so on AC it only draws that charge. Will have to see if they plan rapid chargers, you think they would.

https://www.zap-map.com/location/LFXHR57/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Another day/ Another charger

Thing is, its a bit out of civilisation in the sense that "mobile phone signal" 3,4,5 G or whatever you call it is a bit patchy. So was in contact with the provider SWARCO to see if they could initiate a charge, seeing as the "App" was coming up with a network error. Surprise surprise they couldn't communicate with the charger post either.

Doesn't do a simple bank card transaction, so in 10 to 15 days when the RFID card arrives, may stand half a chance of starting the electricity pump without having to rely on apps and signals...or will it be just the same in that the RFID card needs to send messages to HQ over the mobile network for the thing to work?

The diligent follower of the thread may think "I thought the Falcon was the only EV owner in the country that didn't have a smartphone but yet he has started warbling on about apps". Have to report that Chez Falcon does now have one of those things, but it isn't mine :-D We have benefited though seeing as we can now access, App only Pod-point chargers. Pod-Point is now the cheapest on-road charging round here at Lidl and Tesco, and is now our go-to on the road charge-up provider.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Isn't Technology Wonderful!
Unfortunately in the rush to get to the next New Thing, people are never considered. It is not a new "thing"- history is littered with technology outpacing ability and common sense. The people at the cutting edge just don't seem to think about anything other than themselves. Integrated Approach! No chance. Phased introduction! Haha.
Don't get me started. A Dormouse on its hindlegs is a fearsome beast!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Interesting right enough. Just goes to show that the rush to all electric can have unintended consequences - cars or homes.
NewcastleFalcon

Currently the best on-road rapid charging deal south of the border for the EV Motorist.

40p/kWh at Lidl Outlets with Pod-Point Rapid Chargers.
BB Leaf filling up at one of the many LIdl<br />Pod-point Rapid Chargers.
BB Leaf filling up at one of the many LIdl
Pod-point Rapid Chargers.
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

A full list of electric charging points that are coming to Darlington and Teesside
There will be 136 new chargers for electric vehicles (EVs) installed in 36 public car parks in Darlington, Middlesbrough, Hartlepool, Redcar and Cleveland and Stockton-on-Tees as part of a £2 million pound scheme to improve green infrastructure in the area.
NewcastleFalcon

Going to have to use these a little more often Pod Point at Lidl stores have just banged the price up from 40p/kWh to 50p/kWh.
Tesco's 7kW posts 28p/kWh
Tesco's 7kW posts 28p/kWh
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I haven't tried Neil but I'm told our local Co-op is still letting you charge for free at the pod-point charger.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 22 Dec 2022, 11:32 I haven't tried Neil but I'm told our local Co-op is still letting you charge for free at the pod-point charger.
Round Here Sainsbury's at Heaton look like their 7kW post is still free
https://charge.pod-point.com/address/sa ... /drew-robb

Tesco have a huge carpark at Kingston park but currently only four 7kw chargers. Haven't seen ASDA do anything round here, or indeed Sainsbury's, apart from a couple of 7kW posts at their Heaton Store. Morrisons have a couple of rapids at newer/larger stores.

This one at Craster is also one of the last free ones...maybe NCC have forgotten about it!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 22 Dec 2022, 11:32 I haven't tried Neil but I'm told our local Co-op is still letting you charge for free at the pod-point charger.
Zap map has that Co-op as a pod-point Type 2 22kW AC post and free to use, but could be out of date, or are you a confirmed Tesco Customer charging up customer now!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 22 Dec 2022, 12:27
Zap map has that Co-op as a pod-point Type 2 22kW AC post and free to use, but could be out of date, or are you a confirmed Tesco Customer charging up customer now!

Regards Neil
Not since they started pricing it Neil, charge at home mostly now although if I shop at Tesco I still plug in and the first fifteen minutes is free, I do a crafty second free fifteen if I have a big shop to do, I just unplug and re-plug after the first fifteen.
The Co-op here in the village is 22 kw and still free according to the PP app. but there's only one point and the shop is too expensive for me to do a proper shop, it would mean me just going there to charge and sitting in the car while it does.
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
NewcastleFalcon

Some glitch yesterday at Tesco. Maybe pod point haven’t updated the charges.

Yesterday’s 1 hr session cost. £0.00

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey