Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Over the Border chargeplacescotland 15p/kWh, and a pleasant backdrop Kelso Market Place. :-D
DSC03012.JPG
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

just posted this in Electric Vehicles. Probably should be here

A while back I posted a picture of a relative's Mercedes EQA. Yesterday I learned an interesting fact about it - it's driver does not trust it to do the "160" mile trip from Fife to Newcastle on one charge.
Given that it is quoted at 263 miles WLTP and most journals reckon a real range of 190/200, what gives him this range anxiety? Well, apparently, when he tries to recharge he often finds that chargers are not working or being used or, in some cases, hogged. He has tried Dunbar, Eyemouth, and various locations in Newcastle to recharge when he visits family down there and has found that Alnwick is the only place he can guarantee to find a charging point. Now, admittedly his heavy right foot driving style won't help, but he feels obliged to recharge on the route down as he just can't guarantee access to a charging point when he arrives.
[/quote]
NewcastleFalcon

Dormouse wrote: 17 Nov 2022, 11:44 just posted this in Electric Vehicles. Probably should be here

A while back I posted a picture of a relative's Mercedes EQA. Yesterday I learned an interesting fact about it - it's driver does not trust it to do the "160" mile trip from Fife to Newcastle on one charge.
Given that it is quoted at 263 miles WLTP and most journals reckon a real range of 190/200, what gives him this range anxiety? Well, apparently, when he tries to recharge he often finds that chargers are not working or being used or, in some cases, hogged. He has tried Dunbar, Eyemouth, and various locations in Newcastle to recharge when he visits family down there and has found that Alnwick is the only place he can guarantee to find a charging point. Now, admittedly his heavy right foot driving style won't help, but he feels obliged to recharge on the route down as he just can't guarantee access to a charging point when he arrives.

It's my stomping ground Dave, so I know it well and don't have too many problems. So down the A1....just off the top of my head...Haddington....new retail park just off A1 three chargers, Dunbar....Pine Marten next to ASDA as well as in town, GrantsHouse...next to A1 (Chargeplacescotland's most unreliable charger, I don't trust that one!), Eyemouth just one pot luck!, Berwick (1 Town Centre/1 Leisure Centre/ Pod-point at Tesco), Belford A1 (next to fire station usually vacant) Seahouses car park, Alnwick 2 at M&S next to A1, One at Leisure centre, One at Town C carpark, Morpeth Garage off A1 and One in Town Centre, Stannington A1 ESSO Garage( usually vacant), Northumberlandia just off A1, Tesco Kingston Park etc.

I don't mind stopping to recharge at all, but always arrive at an intended chargepoint with 20 miles to spare to allow finding alternatives. Infrastructure expanding all the time, as are numbers, but still working ok for me thus far, granted with the odd whinge about charging point etiquette in the pages of the thread :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

No mention of the rates to be charged?
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 17 Nov 2022, 12:20
Dormouse wrote: 17 Nov 2022, 11:44 just posted this in Electric Vehicles. Probably should be here

It's my stomping ground Dave, so I know it well and don't have too many problems. So down the A1....just off the top of my head...Haddington....new retail park just off A1 three chargers, Dunbar....Pine Marten next to ASDA as well as in town, GrantsHouse...next to A1 (Chargeplacescotland's most unreliable charger, I don't trust that one!), Eyemouth just one pot luck!, Berwick (1 Town Centre/1 Leisure Centre/ Pod-point at Tesco), Belford A1 (next to fire station usually vacant) Seahouses car park, Alnwick 2 at M&S next to A1, One at Leisure centre, One at Town C carpark, Morpeth Garage off A1 and One in Town Centre, Stannington A1 ESSO Garage( usually vacant), Northumberlandia just off A1, Tesco Kingston Park etc.

I don't mind stopping to recharge at all, but always arrive at an intended chargepoint with 20 miles to spare to allow finding alternatives. Infrastructure expanding all the time, as are numbers, but still working ok for me thus far, granted with the odd whinge about charging point etiquette in the pages of the thread :-D

REgards Neil
I know that and I don't have an electric car. I believe Mercedes Man is of the opinion that "He" shouldn't have to plan for that and "He" should just get a free space all to himself as and when "He" needs it. After all, "He" has travelled this road for years and it should be just there as and when "He" wants it. No amount of discussion will ever change him. Or his heavy right foot.
He does have a point about people "hogging" charge points _ I have seen it for myself.
Some people will never change no matter what they drive and will not deviate from their norm, come hell or high water. Even after overtaking in the face of oncoming traffic on his motorbike, getting away with only shattering his right ankle on the oncoming bumper, you will never convince him to change his outlook or planning, ever!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Not surprising... Lots of comment on the wireless on why it's not until 2025 and not happening a lot sooner... The feeling is that it could have been introduced almost immediately...

I suppose there will be a lot of work to decide how and whether or not a sliding scale will be appropriate and if so, what might it be based upon? Should say, a little Citroen Ami pay the same as a hulking great Tesla?

I'm hoping the VED-free status of historic vehicles does not change... I'm looking forward to the day when my AX becomes VED-free ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

It isn’t a shock to me!
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 08 Feb 2022, 22:41
Eventually prices for on the road electricity, vehicle taxation, fuel taxation, or pay as you drive road pricing are all going to catch up. The anomaly of home charging at domestic rates for electricity used as a "road fuel" will also be taken away in some shape or form.

The current phase is probably the best time to give electric a try, particularly second hand. The cheaper running costs enjoyed up to now will be eroded. I've seen them eroded in my short time so far of ownership. I enjoyed 18 months of free charging in Northumberland/ Scottish Borders, now gone in Northumberland, but still lingering on for now at some of the Borders rapid chargers with a chargeplace Scotland Card. edit. Since May 2022 now 30p/kWh
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

NewcastleFalcon

What happens when an EV (petrol or diesel) runs out of miles :?:

Hold the front page, the vehicle stops :!:

Of course prior to that you will have received plenty of warning. In the case of the Leaf it announces in its reassuring tech voice "low battery charge" when the predicted range left is around 18-20 miles, up pops the same message on the screen, and an amber warning light, and advises the driver to find a nearby chargepoint, and even pops up where they are. Of course the smartphone generation simply tap into zap map. As the video shows the car does its best to give fair warning for even the most ignorant of drivers to take action before the car finally decides my driver is thick as two short planks I'm going to stop. Even at this point the car tries to help by still keeping juice in reserve to power some essential systems in case the ignorance of the driver has reached stratospheric levels and in spite of the warnings they have not even pulled over to a safe place to await a wholly avoidable recovery from the AA/RAC or other such operator.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

Correct me if I'm wrong here Neil, I thought the EV has two totally seperate electrical systems on board. The high volt transit system and the normal car 12V system with a normal 12V battery. I believe the transit battery can be used to keep the 12V battery charged in place of the ICE alternator but basically the 12V system runs all the usual accessories so once you do run out of transit power, you still have 12V power for the hazards and aux stuff. Is that right? :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

This guy regularly runs EVs until they die. watch this one for his novel solution to the spare petrol can.

Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

mickthemaverick wrote: 05 Dec 2022, 11:00 Correct me if I'm wrong here Neil, I thought the EV has two totally seperate electrical systems on board. The high volt transit system and the normal car 12V system with a normal 12V battery. I believe the transit battery can be used to keep the 12V battery charged in place of the ICE alternator but basically the 12V system runs all the usual accessories so once you do run out of transit power, you still have 12V power for the hazards and aux stuff. Is that right? :)
not entirely true. the 12v also now has an ecu to protect its use and preserve it like the traction battery. early systems didn't.
Last edited by Dormouse on 05 Dec 2022, 11:12, edited 1 time in total.
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 05 Dec 2022, 11:00 Correct me if I'm wrong here Neil, I thought the EV has two totally seperate electrical systems on board. The high volt transit system and the normal car 12V system with a normal 12V battery. I believe the transit battery can be used to keep the 12V battery charged in place of the ICE alternator but basically the 12V system runs all the usual accessories so once you do run out of transit power, you still have 12V power for the hazards and aux stuff. Is that right? :)
I would have to look it up MIck, don't know off the top of my head. Yes the split of the functions is as you say, the 12V battery does run the usual accessories and the car's brain and with a depleted 12V battery the necessary brainwork to operate the vehicle fails.

I think the traction battery keeps the 12 V battery at its 12V or so. In a shutdown situation where it "runs out of miles" I would think that some safety margin of charge within the traction battery is maintained to allow the 12V battery powered systems to continue to function for a decent chunk of time.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Here's Bobby Llewellyn running out of charge on purpose in his first gen nice blue Leaf.
From the early days of Fully Charged...2014 and the sound quality and video work has improved since :-D

I haven't seen the Turtle yet either!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey