Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric Vehicles-Infrastructure

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Why on earth didn't the Ramsey's wait for the Electric Infrastructure to be developed to such an extent that should you wish to, you could drive from the North Pole to the South Pole in a pretty bog-standard Nissan Ariya. At least it would have given them a chance to have a good attempt at it.

Hang on a second, what was that on the news tonight :?: Looks like they have only just gone and done it.

The FCF as ever were in on the ground floor before they set out
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 17:00 Initial pre-setting out video for those who want to view it
Spoiler: show
https://youtu.be/VwmRwF04WjM
and news that they have finished the journey.
Couple finish pole-to-pole electric car challenge
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c51zd0p1j6po
Interesting stunt, and plenty column inches and blogs/videos of the trip lying around the internet if you want the nitty gritty. 10 months and 18,000 miles later they have just completed the journey. As ever though our very own Bargain Basement electric thread goes a little further than that publicity stunt, 4 years and more than twice the Pole-to-Pole distance covered in full :-D here...
Bargain Basement electric
42 pages of inspiring content and counting viewtopic.php?t=63910
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Had to abandon after a couple of minutes, too hard to listen to. Was attracted by the tower as I have been in it. Jim gets a mention too (or rather Paggers).
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

This was a feature on Sally Bundocs early morning BBC business briefing this morning, sounds interesting and hopefully does not go the same way as other recent uk battery start-ups.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mar ... harge.html
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The BT Group has made good on its promise to repurpose street cabinets into EV charge points by kicking off a pilot to demonstrate the concept actually works.

The first installation location will be in East Lothian, Scotland.

The plan is to retrofit existing cabinets, currently used for providing broadband to households. These are set to be decommissioned during the full-fibre roll-out.

Since they are already hooked up to a power source, the thinking is that engineers can retrofit a device to split the existing power supply, meaning that the current broadband can keep running, and a new charge point can be made available. A battery backup will mean that households shouldn't experience any disruption during installation.
Full article at The Register
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

myglaren wrote: 08 Jan 2024, 13:38
The BT Group has made good on its promise to repurpose street cabinets into EV charge points by kicking off a pilot to demonstrate the concept actually works.
Full article at The Register
Good idea in theory, but aren't most BT boxes a distance from the road, like other side of path, and mostly on corners.?
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Good point Stu, during my BT (GPO) apprenticeship I worked on a good many cabinets and pillars and I don't remember a single one that was ideally placed for a vehicle to connect to. Maybe they intend to include a sunken cable with socket alongside the road? :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

And also, do they have the necessary electrical supply capacity to charge an EV? I am of the belief the electrical demands made on the installed equipment in these cabinets is quite low so there will be no huge electrical infrastructure supplying them. It's a bit like the plans to use street lights. They all have mains feeds but their capacity is very low as the lights themselves take a surprisingly small amount of power, even the old sodium ones...

Sounds to me like a good old case of PR spin. Sounds good in theory and good to splash across the media on a slow news day...

In other amazing, earth-shattering news, it's trying to snow here... Shock, horror...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I was pondering the supply issue Jim but decided that my knowledge of the insides of the cabinets is too ancient to have any relevance. Certainly in the time I was working on them they had no need for mains power at all as their prime purpose was to link main exchange cables and trunk cables carrying telephone circuits together. Thus a 1200 pair main exchange cable could be interlinked to a number of local area distribution pillars to feed various local streets. I daresay the provision of power supplies may have been necessary for the digital age with repeaters etc installed, but like Jim I cannot see them being able to sustain car charging at any decent level without new feeds being installed. That being the case the only use the cabinets offer is as a housing and as Stu pointed out most of them are not placed suitably!! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Sloppysod wrote: 08 Jan 2024, 16:17
Good idea in theory, but aren't most BT boxes a distance from the road, like other side of path, and mostly on corners.?
Certainly all the ones near me are not placed anywhere where they would be useful.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Indeed, as suggested, they could be used house the control gear for slim EV charging pillars placed in suitable locations... None I know of locally are positioned in suitable locations but as a central control location suppling a few pillars it could work.

It's still likely a lot of digging up of pavements and roads will be needed to install the mains feeds although they could conceivably drag them through the existing telecomms ducts...

Next, they'll be suggesting old telephone kiosks as they all have power. Yes they do, and as you well know Mick, only of a very small capacity and unmetered, originally to run a light and now, more often than not, to keep a defib. nice and warm.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There is an abandoned Virgin box at the back of my house that would be ideal for me.
Not that I am ever likely to buy an EV.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Surprised you think they'll need to dig up footpaths in the day of the mole
Impact Moles
Impact moles are part of the new no digging trench less technology. Moles work by the displacement of soil enabling the installation of service under roads, yards and lawns where digging is not possible or reinstatement cost and the visual appearance of a trench line across a road or yard would not be acceptable.
Impact moles can pull ducts directly in behind them, when ground conditions may collapse behind the mole.
Moles can be fitted with a special ramming cone enabling the pushing of steel ducts under difficult and cohesive soil types. Where the depth of the cover is not suitable for soil displacement.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 08 Jan 2024, 18:15 Surprised you think they'll need to dig up footpaths in the day of the mole
Interesting stuff Eric. Clearly not reached these parts as the ongoing installation of our fibre infrastructure is all being done with old-fashioned trenching...
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

They've been used around here Jim but also many trenches dug by the fibre company Gigaclear.
This I saw too
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/technol ... r-AA1mCRd6