bad connection near ECU

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: bad connection near ECU

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The reason I mentioned it was not to confuse you, but to point out a possible cause of your problem. I don't know if the Xsara Picasso had the same problem as the earlier Xantias, but if it does there is a way to resolve it. If the ignition switch has been burnt out you would need to replace it (and consider adding the starter relay mod that was needed by those early Xantias).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
lcwin
My Cars: citroen xantia, C5

Post by lcwin »

Xantia-V6 , when you turn the ignition switch from ON to Starter position the contact slides across different contact pin. The contact pins usually oxidize with age . During the Switch transition from ON to Start there is a could be a disruption that causes a total supply cut due to oxidized contacts..
Craqck pot just give my suggestion a try. Nothing to lose . Just a jumper wire to start and see if it works. Cost you nothing before going on a expensive wild goose chase....
craqck pot
My Cars: citroen picasso xsara 08 (1.6 derv)

Post by craqck pot »

Someone asked before for a photo, so I have uploaded a photo in the red ring of the terminals that if you disconect and reconet there seams to be a clicking noise comeing from around the ECU located in the blue ring of the photo and everthing back working again

But the car has not done this error again; so I have not had chance to try bypassing the starter motor
Attachments
engine bay.JPG
lcwin

Post by lcwin »

Craqck pot all your electrical wiring is contaminated with sand and dirts. The connectors junctions and wiring should be properly shielded from the elements to prevent electrical problems. I guess thats where your problem probably lies. Go get a good quality contact cleaner and cleanup all joints contacts etc. But be warn if you start cleaning up you might encounter intermittent electrical issues, so its better to get a friend that is expert in wiring to help. Good luck.
lcwin

Post by lcwin »

My Citroen C5 have the same problem like yours. After driving for an hour if I stop for petrol . The starter sometimes don,t spin or click and the display all off with the clock reset to zero. The immobiliser fault sometimes pop up. It wil start afterwards. Now I put in a Push Start button hahaha...bang up to date with a blue glow Switch wired in parallel to the ignition key switch. So far so good no recurrent issues. Another peugeot 206 also have this problem and after opening up the innard of the key barrel we discover the contact transition point is the culprit. Go give it a try like I say you got nothing to lose just an hour spare time to wire it up