Relay 2.2 DPF cleaning keep vehicle moving

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Relay 2.2 DPF cleaning keep vehicle moving

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Never had to use a cleaning kit, but JLM do a solution:

https://shop.jlmlubricants.com/en/clogg ... dpack.html#
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
LittleOldSuzi
My Cars: Peugeot 207 1.6 HDi

Post by LittleOldSuzi »

That is for the DPF but it gives me an idea. Somewhere in the shed I have a turbo cleaning treatment that dissolves the carbon of the turbo veins, if it dissolves it there it should dissolve it in inside this injector pipe. Update to follow.....
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

It seems to me that the JLM kit in the link is for DPFs that haven't been able to regenerate properly, usually because they haven't been taken down a motorway often enough. It won't be able to shift the unburnable residues left by the Cerine in the Eolys fluid as used in PSA vehicles. For that you need to be able to backflush the DPF. In other words it's really for non-PSA vehicles.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

This is an in-position cleaner - much like the garages use today (even Halfrauds offer this service) and is a light or deep clean. Should work for all DPFs, but like anything will depend on the level of clogging.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

LittleOldSuzi wrote: 15 Nov 2019, 15:59 That is for the DPF but it gives me an idea. Somewhere in the shed I have a turbo cleaning treatment that dissolves the carbon of the turbo veins, if it dissolves it there it should dissolve it in inside this injector pipe. Update to follow.....
Yes I just looked at the title of the thread - and forgot it was to do with the additional injector - ignore my last links and posts so it doesn't go more off topic than it has! :-D

Marc
LittleOldSuzi

Post by LittleOldSuzi »

OK I have spent a good few hours on this and I admit defeat, you can't clean these damn things.

The part number on it is 9676829580 which is quite hard to find. Some sellers list the more common 9816547280 as a replacement part. If someone could check the parts list I would be most grateful.

Thanks....
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It has subsequently been replaced with a later part to that which was fitted. The new official replacement part is: 9816547280, so yes that one you have is now the correct replacement. :-D

Marc
LittleOldSuzi

Post by LittleOldSuzi »

The easy way to replace a DPF cleaning injector

I prefer not to remove the exhaust, primarily because I only have axle stands and I am not convinced you can without a ramp. Anyway, on to the easy way...

Firstly jack the drivers wheel up and slide under to work on the battery tray. The fuel pump that runs the injector is fixed to the underside of the battery tray with a single 10mm bolt. Disconnect fuel line to the injector and release the 4 hose and wiring hooks, undo the 10mm bolt and the pump simply falls away and hangs under its own weight. That's it, your done underneath the van.
Battery tray bottom.jpg

From on top, remove the battery and then the battery tray, this is held in by 4 13mm bolts and just lifts out. You will now see all the extra bits they put on the vehicle for the emissions control mounted onto the exhaust heat shield.
Heat Shield.jpg

Following the wiring loom off the vehicle and onto the heat shield you will find the glow plug connector (covered in red protective sleeving), then the green and blue wires for the before and after temperature sensors and finally the single connector for before and after pressure sensors (this pressure difference is how the ECU judges DPF blockage levels). Unplug them all and unclip the wiring loom and pull it back out of the way. Now undo the 2 8mm nuts that hold the pressure sensor to the heat shield and let it hang free.
pressure sensor off.jpg

Now the heat shield is free simply undo the 2 10mm bolts and pull it out revealing the injector right in front of you.
injector in place.jpg

The injector nut is 22mm and now everything is clear you can easily put a soldering torch on it just a minute and she will pop right off. Unlike from underneath, you can now get all the leverage you want on the nut and I dare say it would shift without heat but it is easier with and so I did.

Good luck all....

Can you clean the blocked injector?

No you can't and for those that care here is why.

This part is technically and vaporiser. Fuel is pumped into the glow plug chamber where it vaporises in contact with the glow plug. The vapour being larger by volume it is then jetted out of the open port and into the DPF filter where it combusts to raise the DPF temperature during regeneration.

Seems simple what goes wrong?

In my opinion, every time the pump and glow plug are turned off the vaporising stops but the tube is still full of diesel vapours that get turned into carbon inside the tube. Tiny amounts but you can't stop it happening and over time the blockage occurs. Sadly it gets worse because the fuel pump keeps trying and the glow plug is still on and so the process accelerates and when I took my glow plug out I found its imprint it carbon inside the chamber. The carbon had even started to block the fuel supply line.

OK lets be clear, if you really want to, or need to, you can clean out the glow plug chamber. You can then drill a hole in the chamber in line with the injection tube and then put a drill bit down the tube to get the carbon out. Finally you just need to spot weld the hole you drilled in the chamber. I have neither the welder nor the time/motivation but it is possible if you choose. To be fair you could do it in 30 minutes with a welder and the part is £180 so it may be worth it, your call....
dannys1984
My Cars: 2014 Citroen Relay

Post by dannys1984 »

Hi,

I know this is a fairly old post but my 2014 Relay has come up with the DPF cleaning keep vehicle moving. I was driving for a while low gear high revs but now the engine management light is also come on. I can clear the engine management light with my little code reader but then the DPF light comes back on then the management light! I've bought a new DPF fuel vapour valve and came across this post. @littleoldsuzi Was this last post for a 2014 Relay?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Bear in mind not all Relay vehicles are the same or have the same systems. Those with the Ford Puma engines don't have a DPF additive reservoir - they use a fuel vapour injector as described above in the main post , whereas the Peugeot Citroen engines have an additive reservoir and no fuel vapour injector.

So the main post is only relevant to Ford / Fiat based engines.

Marc
dannys1984

Post by dannys1984 »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. It is the 2.2 ford engine I believe. My mechanic managed to get it off with a bit of heat and elbow grease. All back on but still the same fault P1490. I purchased a diagnostic machine to see if my cheapy wasn't able to clear it correctly but it just won't go away. Today I've sprayed the dpf with DPF100 (normfest £50 odd quid job from euros) but I don't think the dpf is blocked. If I clear the fault with my cheap reader it drives as normal for about 10 seconds then the management light comes back on. Any ideas?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Sounds like it is the particle filter that is blocked as the regeneration conditions are not met - you should have a bit more of the code, but this should do as this is the only one I can see with P1490:
Fault Code: P1490 92
Description of Fault: Particle filter : Driving conditions for regeneration of the particle emission filter not fulfilled. Detection of a particle filter overload: The difference in particle filter pressure is above a maximum threshold:
The soot load is greater than 9,59 g/l
The time of appearance of the fault code is 5s
Conditions for Fault to clear: Driving for 5 minutes with several full load accelerations for 10 seconds
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:None, however warning light for Particle Emission system will remain lit.
Symptoms:
  • Jerking/stalling
  • Lack of power
  • Starting problem
Suspect Areas:
  • Tappings for the differential pressure sensor of the particle emission filter
  • Catalytic converter / Particle filter

Marc
Doo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2000 Range Rover V8 4.0
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2
2007 Citroen C4 1.6hdi SX
2012 Berlingo Multispace e-hdi XTR (nice drive :-)
2016 Suzuki Burgman AN650 Executive
I miss my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo....

Post by Doo »

LittleOldSuzi wrote: 15 Nov 2019, 14:59 OK it is off and there is a really easy way to do it. After days of struggling I took the battery and tray out and it is right there. Took 10 minutes to get the battery and tray out the way, another 10 to free the heatshield and wiring, heated it up with a soldering blow torch and she can off fine. Pictures to follow.

I have cleaned the first inch but it is still blocked, what is the best chemical to dissolve this carbon?

Thanks...
I had to remove wife's engine to change the clutch and the timing belt, timing chain, water pump, glow plugs, partridge in a pear tree :? And the injectors will NOT budge!! I am about to set off to borrow a slide hammer...

I digress. I was advised to use oven cleaner (Mr Muscle or equivalent) to get the carbon off. I suspect you might find it will soften the yuck you are having (not) fun with.

Good luck :)
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
lozaust
New User
My Cars: citroen relay
renault scenic

Post by lozaust »

hi I have got the same problem on my 2015 relay going into limp mode i have replaced the fuel vaporiser,
but the fuse for the vaporiser keeps on blowing just wondering if anyone else has come across this and can help
thanks

hi did you sort the problem out ? even after replacing the valve the fuse in the engine compartment keeps blowing just wondering whether you cam accross this problem thanks in advance.
Last edited by myglaren on 23 Mar 2022, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Posts merged.
dannys1984

2014 2.2 Relay P14BE limp mode

Post by dannys1984 »

Hi,

I'm getting a P14BE on my diagnostics machine. Everything points to 5th injector but this has been replaced. I was looking at the little auxiliary heater that connects to the injector and wondered if these ever go faulty. Could this bring up the fault?

I have set the diagnostics machine to tell the van it has a new dpf which temporarily fixes it but usually comes back after a few hours of driving.