Car News-Global and Domestic

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Car News-Global and Domestic

Post by myglaren »

Another 'aerodynamic' brick.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Maybe Europe don't realise that China are already more than foot-in-the-door in the European Car market. Maybe the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth, will increase in proportion as their market penetration grows.

I am unfamiliar with this manufacturer Aiways, but it is forging its presence in Europe. Aiways is set to sell the U5 all-electric SUV in nine European markets – with Spain and Portugal joining Belgium, Denmark, Germany, France, Italy, the Netherlands and Switzerland.

Aiways partners with Astara for sales and distribution in Spain and Portugal
Aiways U5 available early 2022, closely followed by U6 SUV-Coupé
Aiways grows European presence to nine markets; more to follow
Aiways to launch one new model per calendar year in Europe

Story
https://media.ai-ways.eu/2021/la-liste- ... -portugal/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 17:48 The video lasts 30 odd minutes and mind blowingly boring....no one will be able to stand all that
Regards Neil
Can't argue with that!! and I have to agree with Steve's succinct summary!! Definitely getting closer to buying a Hebredean Island!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote: 18 Nov 2021, 17:58 Another 'aerodynamic' brick.
Hyundai's sidekick KIA have a similar concept thing at LA Auto....

More Aerodynamic from the side, get a decent flow of draught through there with the doors open and no b-pillars :-D
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

What is impressive about Ai-ways mentioned earlier with their entry into the European market is that they are a start-up Automaker formed only in 2017, and already in a position to to enter the old continent with their products. Maybe the car making business doesn't really need the extended timescales to transition desired by the more laggard players.

More about Ai-ways here from their own horses mouth. I wouldn't say their cars are distinctively different or anything other than another unremarkable SUV style EV, whatever VFM techy gubbins they have on board.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

When Car companies become Tech companies and cars themselves are computa's/artificial intelligence and networks on wheels, come on its par for the course...occasionally a server goes down and locks everyone out of their cars... :-D

Story is a couple of days old now, so the worldwide teacup storm has subsided a little and the systems are up again!
https://electrek.co/2021/11/19/tesla-su ... nect-cars/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

As the Beano used to remark

Titter, Titter
https://electrek.co/2021/11/24/kia-unve ... y-in-mind/
The PHEV version of the Niro will come with a new feature called “Greenzone Drive Mode,” which automatically switches to electric power during opportunities for more efficient mobility based on navigational cues and driving habits.

For example, green zones can be residential areas, nearby schools, or even hospitals. The vehicle can also recognize a driver’s most visited places and register them as green zones.
Dear KIA,

you have already found the "solution" to this particular problem, and its not more software and sensors on a car with a combustion engine,

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

What does the UK automotive industry need :?:

New manufacturers with a bit of "energy and ambition" manufacturing in the UK. So a bit of talk like this is welcome particularly if it turns into action. Active talks with half a dozen more, for a decent shake up and move away from crumbs from the Stellantis or BMW table industry we currently have would be welcome.

Rivian would be an excellent addition.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Power struggle at VW leaves Diess with less control

Quite a dull sort of story, bit of boardroom amateur dramatics, but reading it my take is VW have effectively just taken their foot off the accelerator, started driving more conservatively, and settled for a distant second place in this seasons Championship. They are already a few laps off the pace, and I can see Diess looking for a more competitive drive with a different team. Still he's nominally still in charge of Group Strategy but not its implementation...providing he doesn't upset anyone by trying to make progress.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Nissan’s Barcelona plant is now closed

The discussions with Great Wall to take over the factory reported on the thread here have failed to reach a successful conclusion and Great Wall have withdrawn their interest. Wonder if Great Wall have received a better offer from the UK :-D They do make some interesting affordable EV's like the well received "good cat".

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos- ... 021-12-13/

The Barcelona plant, amongst other Nissan Vehicles, used to make the e-ENV-200 Electric Van based on the Leaf. Nissan UK should have been building and selling the van version alongside the Leaf but that never happened. It would seem unlikely that the replacement van offering from Nissan will be coming off the production line in Sunderland either.

Nissan's new van in town is the Townstar. Small van design appears to have reached its peak. The Townstar isn't strikingly different from any other small van. They will produce electric and ICE versions. The all new bit is that it will be made on a new platform developed by the "Alliance", and more than likely will be built in France.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Way back I bought two Ebro (Nissan Spain) vans at auction, they had been through several times without a bid as non runners they were like large Transits with petrol engines, paid £200 for the two.
When I got them home I discovered that the shown mileage of under 20k on each was genuine, got them running gave them a service and mot then sold them on for £1750 plus VAT each. Got to have a few wins in life.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 21 Dec 2021, 17:58 Way back I bought two Ebro (Nissan Spain) vans at auction, they had been through several times without a bid as non runners they were like large Transits with petrol engines, paid £200 for the two.
When I got them home I discovered that the shown mileage of under 20k on each was genuine, got them running gave them a service and mot then sold them on for £1750 plus VAT each. Got to have a few wins in life.
Nice one Gibbo!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

We know full well that Honda baled out of Swindon United Kingdom earlier this year. Honda have been one of the reluctant and token participants from the land of the rising sun in electrification, with only the cute but too expensive Honda-e in their electric stable. They do appear now to be arriving late to the party.

In the retreat to Japan, they must have taken stock fairly rapidly and joined hands with their old friends in China, and are to build a 120,000/yr EV factory with their joint-venture partners Donfeng in Wuhan. Wuhan is car city in China and Stellantis in the form of the joint venture Donfeng Peugeot Citroen have been making cars in Wuhan since 1992.

https://www.electrive.com/2022/01/06/ho ... -in-china/

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 07 Jan 2022, 10:31 We know full well that Honda baled out of Swindon United Kingdom earlier this year. Honda have been one of the reluctant and token participants from the land of the rising sun in electrification, with only the cute but too expensive Honda-e in their electric stable. They do appear now to be arriving late to the party.

In the retreat to Japan, they must have taken stock fairly rapidly and joined hands with their old friends in China, and are to build a 120,000/yr EV factory with their joint-venture partners Donfeng in Wuhan. Wuhan is car city in China and Stellantis in the form of the joint venture Donfeng Peugeot Citroen have been making cars in Wuhan since 1992.

https://www.electrive.com/2022/01/06/ho ... -in-china/

Regards Neil
Will they call their next model a Honda Covid?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Over on the Electric Cars what's available? thread I posted a "Citroen" announcement about a price reduction to fit in with the new Plug in Grant caps for the Citroen e-berlingo electric and the e-space tourer electric, and to ditch ICE versions for the UK market. viewtopic.php?p=706748#p706748

Of course Peugeot also have their equivalents the e-rifter and the e-traveller, and made a similar announcement re ditching ICE versions for the UK Market. https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/latest ... -mpv-range

How long before Stellantis actually get round to cutting out the obvious duplication and do the rational thing and kill of either Peugeot or Citroen or indeed both and take pride in the new brand name Stellantis. Yes a century or so of tradition, a century or so of brand loyalty. Didn't bring home the bacon in the 21st century for Kodak or FW Woolworth.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey