C3 - 2005 - SX - Radiator Fan Problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pavao
My Cars: 307 HDI 1,6 2006
C 3 Citroen 1,4 2002

Re: C3 - 2005 - SX - Radiator Fan Problem

Post by Pavao »

Hallo there ,my C 3 Citroen 1,4 2002 VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] 26527309 has cooling fan Probleme it spinns only at slow speed
s after reaching 3 bars at the displayen enginelight symbol starts blincking and biping
So the fan not working in max speed ,next ac cuts off all bars permanent on and car in limp .
Fan supply 14.2 Volt and first 2 controlwires of the 3 have 13 volt
ozvtr
My Cars: Citroen C2 VTR
Citroen C3 SX
Citroen C3 in bits

Re: C3 - 2005 - SX - Radiator Fan Problem

Post by ozvtr »

If I am reading you correctly, it sounds like you have more than one problem. And your fan is the least of them!

Make a list of the individual things that are unusual. Don't run them all together and assume they are connected.

Typically the "engine" light only blinks if there is a fueling problem, usually an over fueling problem. Too much unburnt fuel going through the catalytic converter will destroy it. It could be a faulty injector or O2 sensor but more on that in a minute.

If all the temperature bars light up (suddenly and not gradually), there is a fault in the temperature sender circuit. Usually it's a faulty sender unit. It's the green sensor on top of the thermostat housing. Check that the green electrical connector is secure and the wiring is good.

You need to get a LEXIA or OBDII scanner on the car and see what it can tell you. Particularly find out why the engine light is blinking.

You might need to start a new thread, here on the forum, as the majority of your problems are not to do with the fan.

If you disconnect the green electrical connector of the temperature sender on the thermostat housing, while the engine is running, the thermo fan should run at full speed after a few seconds. It wont switch on straight away, just wait. If it runs at full speed, there is nothing wrong with the fan circuit. If it doesn't run at full speed...yes, there is a fault in the fan circuit.
Even in the hot climate of Australia the thermo fan doesn't need to do much to cool the radiator. The engine cooling system does a good job. So usually the fan doesn't run much and then usually at low speed. HOWEVER, the air conditioning is a different story. The fan (also) runs proportionately to the "high" side of the aircon system. The greater the load (heat) on the system, the faster the fan runs! So with the aircon on, the fan can run very fast.

I cant understand what you are saying about " ac cuts off ", so I cant answer that one. Sorry.