How to Replace the Internal MicroSD Card - RT6

This unit is the eMyWay system, also referred to as RT6, RNEG2, or WIPNAV+ for the Peugeot platform and made by Magneti Marelli.
Main Features: The eMyWay colour satellite navigation has high resolution mapping, Bluetooth Telephone & Audio Streaming supported profiles, USB support for Media files & CD

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Rob F

Re: How to Replace the Internal MicroSD Card - RT6

Post by Rob F »

Hi, thanks for the very helpful information on this topic. I have a problem with the RT6 fitted in my 508SW (2014). recently it suddenly just started rebooting every few minutes, most times would only actually work for about a minute and then go back to starting up mode, occasionally it would stay on for a few minutes. I came across this thread and decided it was likely the SD card might be the problem. My previous firmware was 2.80, I purchased the 2.86 version from Peugeot thanks to this forum giving me the part number for it (as the dealer had no idea what I was asking for!). I followed all the instructions, made my USB to save original settings, replaced the micro sd card and put in the new disc. At first I thought it wasn't going to work but eventually went through the process (took about an hour and half). It seemed to finish and I got a screen come up with the time and date etc so all looked good. Then a message saying something like 'no audio for the aux' and then over the top of that a message to say it was checking the media - seemed to be looking at the CD again but then it switched off. It keeps rebooting, giving the same messages and then switching off again - so very much like before the upgrade. None of the controls for it seem work so I cant even even eject the CD. Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I would suggest trying to install the firmware via USB instead of the CD. Apart from installing faster (typically 30-40) minutes, it can avoid media issues with the CD or the CD lens.

If you have the original CD, you can load it onto your PC and extract the files directly to a freshly formatted FAT32 USB of sufficient capacity. When the vehicle is started, insert the USB and it should offer you the update option. Did you keep your mirascript-extracted data separately? You should keep that safely stored elsewhere so that you can reinstall the user and configuration data back tot he RT6 after you have installed the firmware again.

Also, make sure you know you have a decent USB flash memory key as if these have been subject to a lot of use, they also may be a cause of failure.

Finally, if after reinstalling the firmware you are still getting system crashes and reboots, either the firmware has not installed, the internal MicroSD card is not compatible or you may likely have a problem with the hardware. Sending it off for a repair may be an option:

viewtopic.php?t=60781

Or a replacement second hand unit (make sure you match the part number exactly from your old unit as they are not the same).
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Rob F

Post by Rob F »

Thanks Marc for getting back to me. Have you any suggestions how to get the CD out of the unit so that I can copy it. The CD cannot just be pulled out and when the unit boots up briefly it doesn't allow any controls to work so cant eject it?? I have got the mirascript data safe on a USB, will have to get another USB to copy the disc onto once I can get it out :/
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think a long press on the CD eject button (for at least 10 seconds) resets the system.
If that fails it may try and read the CD 3 times, after that, it may spit the CD out. The issue now on CD is that this is the first device it will read to try and boot from if it has an issue.

Marc
Rob F

Post by Rob F »

Thanks. I have tried holding eject button for much longer than that and no good. It seems to continuously examine the cd until it switched off and then reboots and does it all over again. Seems like none of the controls work, have tried pressing every button on the radio controls, all the buttons in the centre console and the steering wheel controls. I took the cd unit out of the RT6 and looked for a way to manually get the cd out but it seems that there is a mechanism holding it in.
If I could get another copy of the firmware and put that on a USB I presume that I could disconnect the ribbon to the cd unit to stop it reading that first and see if I could get a successful update via USB which might then allow the controls to work so that I could eject the current cd. It would cost another £16 for another cd from Peugeot, do you think that might work? I dont want to be throwing more money at it if the idea is flawed.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No don't bother with another CD. Check you PMs. I'll send you a link to the firmware files that are in a zip file. Extract only the zip file contents to the clean USB (don't leave the zip file on the USB) and insert the USB. Leave it connected and eventually, after it tries reading the CD several times, it may then look tot he USB and see the files and start the update from there.

Marc
Rob F

Post by Rob F »

Hi Marc, thanks very much. I have downloaded the file to my hard drive, need to sort out a USB tomorrow after work and give it go over the weekend. Will let you know what happens.
Shanners80

Post by Shanners80 »

Finally loaded the 2.86 firmware on to my 308. After several attempts with a flash card which didn't work. I burnt the iso image to a CD. Install process took about 1hr and a bit. I got to the main screen and it said checking media then started beeping. Then it asked me if I wanted to update so I said yes. Then the next time the display popped up it was in Czech.
Rob F

Post by Rob F »

Hi Marc, thanks for your help but I cant get it working. I copied the software onto a brand new USB. The unit kept trying to read the CD that is still stuck inside it but I found that if I waited until the system just rebooted and then plugged in the USB it would start to read that and start to check the data on it. Because it is still rebooting after short lengths of time it kept switching off before it had finished checking. Finally after many attempts it got as far as saying 'keep engine running to do the update - do you want to continue' but because none of the controls are working I couldn't say 'Yes'! Guess it will need to go off to be looked at.
One more question though - I now have an alarm and a message telling me that the electronic handbrake is not working correctly, could this be connected or is this completely separate and just coincidence?
Thanks again
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Sorry to hear of the issues in this case.

If it was me I would open up the unit and probably disconnect the ribbon cable from the CD, then when it can't detect the CD it should go for the USB when it can't boot from the internal MicroSD.

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Rob i agree with Marc but i would also put a new Micro SD in whilst you have the unit open.
Fingers crossed that once you have the new firmware and user data installed you can put the ribbon cable back and get the cd out unless you do not use the cd so maybe leave it as it is.

Colin
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

This is post MicroSD card install Colin - Rob did that a while back. :wink:

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Yes i know but whilst it is open for the cost of them :)

Colin
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

He's already replaced it though Colin as part of this current issue... :wink:

Marc
Rob F

Post by Rob F »

Hi Marc and Colin, Thanks for all your suggestions. I did take the unit apart again and whilst the CD unit was out I found a way to get the CD out which was good so I was getting optimistic. When all put back together it started to read the USB but I came to the same brick wall when it says 'keep engine running to install, Do you want to continue?' - because the previous attempt to update has caused the controls to completely stop working I cannot say 'Yes' to that so cannot continue. So frustrating.
I then wondered if it would help if I wiped everything off the microSD card as presumably anything on there was from the attempted update as it was a new card and maybe the data on that was causing the controls issue, did that but still none of the controls for radio/sat nav will work so still cant tell it to install the USB version.
I even tried putting in the other USB (mirascript one) to see if that helped sort out the messed up update but again when it has checked the data it asks if you want to continue and I have no way to say 'YES, PLEASE DO IT'
The unit starts up with the screen showing Date (1 Jan 2000) and time (01:01) and the compass and temperature and Location satisfactory etc. - this screen seems more colourful than previously so I think the attempted update must have nearly completed but unfortunately went wrong at a late stage causing the controls to not work.
I have realised that putting the SD card in the computer to wipe it may have put one of those hidden files onto it? I could get another new one but no point unless I can overcome the issue of having no controls. I somehow need to completely wipe the memory of the RT6 but how, wiping the SD card wasn't sufficient?
I have really run out of ideas but if you can think of anything else I could try please let me know.