How to Replace the Internal MicroSD Card - RT6

This unit is the eMyWay system, also referred to as RT6, RNEG2, or WIPNAV+ for the Peugeot platform and made by Magneti Marelli.
Main Features: The eMyWay colour satellite navigation has high resolution mapping, Bluetooth Telephone & Audio Streaming supported profiles, USB support for Media files & CD

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Paul-R
Donor 2023

Re: How to Replace the Internal MicroSD Card - RT6

Post by Paul-R »

I was being cautious and hadn't seen, or at least remembered, that post.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
nigel517
Locked user account

Post by nigel517 »

Hi this is a brilliant and helpful post for everyone and many thanks for that.
I have read through the 21 pages but I still could do with some advice . .
About 4 1/2 years ago with nowhere near the current help available I fixed the sat nav problem on my daughters 2012 Peugeot 308 by replacing the sd card and reinstalling the latest software that was available at that time.
It now appears that the sd card has gone again.Blank screen , no radio etc. Ive removed it and my laptop cannot read it so I'm unsure what software version was loaded.
I do know that the latest map edition I loaded at the time was 2017-2. I'm not 100% sure but I think I had to go through several software updates to get to the latest one.
I have now read through this link that its possible I would need a dealer configuration if I update it to 2.86.
My question is in your opinion as to wether the firmware that was available in 2017 would be upgradable to 2.86 without the need for configuration.
If not I would rather install the older firmware, was that 2.77 ? and not take the risk as that worked perfectly before. .I hope you get my drift. Thanks Nigel
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Unfortunately Nigel, there is no simple answer to your questions as it all depends on what factory version of firmware was installed and what subsequent updates have been applied since then.

Windows will not be able to read the MicroSD card and will often report it as needing formatting. This is because the operating system used on the RT6 is an automotive UNIX variant so is not compatible with Windows, so this is to be expected. I would still try and use Mirascripts programme to extract your user data files as per the guide on page 1. You may find that after rebooting and after reading the USB the programme may operate.

It's also critical that for any updates that the engine is left running as any interruption can brick the system like economy mode kicking in during a file writing porcess.

Let's totally forget maps at this point as that will have nothing or little to do with your current issues and incidentally, map updates do not need to be installed in sequence you can go from an early version to the latest version (with the proviso that some later map updates may require a later firmware version prior to installing).

If you don't have the firmware version of the current system, then I can't answer your other question as to how this may impact on a 2.86 update - it's as simple as that. Some people may install an earlier firmware or go straight to the latest version. I can tell you the likelihood of requiring a dealership configuration post 2.86 update, but that does depend on the currently installed version.

I do often advise that people who have undertaken a successful update after a MicroSD card replacement should make a further copy of their user data files via Mirascripts after they have checked everything is working and setup correctly. This would provide a backup of the settings for future use and in such cases like yours where you have lost the display.

I think you have no alternative at this point but to repeat the process - but be aware there may be other issues with the unit apart from the MicroSD card. Also make sure your Micro SD card is of the same specification (although can be larger in size (16Gb)) as a later specification may not be compatible with the operating system and cause premature card failure especially for the memory cell management.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
nigel517
Locked user account

Post by nigel517 »

Thankyou for your detail reply. What I am saying is that due to a blank screen I don't know what firmware I updated it to. As my sd card cannot be read as its had it I cannot recover those details.
I pretty sure that I updated to the latest firmware available at that time circa 2017 which I believe was 2.77.
If I put that firmware on my new card ( instead of the 2.86) then from what I have read iI won't run the risk of buggering up the system and needing a dealer configuration.
Thats my thinking, and I will leave running on the old firmware.
Please could you supply a link for that 2.77 firmware.
Thanks Nigel
nigel517
Locked user account

Post by nigel517 »

Sorry another question . Does the Mirascripts download contain the basic RT6 working scripts needed to get it up and running or is it just a copying programming for the SD card.
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

The portion of Mirascripts that I used could download the configuration of the eMyWay unit in my C5 X7. I suppose if you could get a copy of this configuration file from another vehicle that has exactly what you want then that could then be uploaded. Mirascripts gets you inside the configuration so that you can change various settings such as Bluetooth echo delay and, in my case, the requirement to input a code to update the maps.

There are loads of other options that you can change which would no doubt render the unit unusable so be careful!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

nigel517 wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 09:55 Sorry another question . Does the Mirascripts download contain the basic RT6 working scripts needed to get it up and running or is it just a copying programming for the SD card.
The programme is written for specific RT* units, so make sure you get the correct version linked to for the RT6.

There are various scripts, each performing a specific function depending on the issue and the needs. It does not programme anything, but can change certain 'flags' or parameters or as in this case extract the specific User datafiles that contain the user information and configuration data for the vehicle for example.

Marc
nigel517
Locked user account

Post by nigel517 »

Thankyou Mark.,
Do you have a link for 2.77 and ir any earlier versions ?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I don't have early versions as they serve little purpose now, but I do have 2.77. Check Your PM.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

I have 2.77, 2.80, 2.85 and 2.86 as ISOs as well as 2.86 for loading onto a USB stick if you want them.

nigel517
Locked user account

Post by nigel517 »

Many thanks. I was preparing an old usb stick to put 2.77 on when I discovered a 2.85 download on that computer so I must have updated to that in the past. So I should be fine with the latest 2.86 which I have just purchased . But many thanks anyway.
nigel517
Locked user account

Post by nigel517 »

Hi just an update re my replacement sd card.
I discovered old software on my computer for version 2.85 so I am assuming that this was what I updated my old, (but now unreadable) sd card with. I therefore felt it was safe to upgrade it to 2.86b which my map supplier offered me for free. It all went well an updated. However whilst everything was now working the language is Slovakian and the miles in km. Everything else is fine. I cannot find which data to change these using mirascript, so Im stuck with it. At least the radio etc works and I have maps.
Just one question. If I repeated the process, new sd card , but used 2.80 this time would it sort the language and km out. Has anyone tried again after installing 2.86. ?
Thanks in anticipation. Nigel
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

This is the problem I warned about, but you'll need to see of you can change the language from the system menu. You'll need to use a translator as you go through the menu items.

But first see if you can use the instrument panel to change language and units. Refer to your owner's handbook, but you need to find this section:
308 manual.PNG

Marc
Beeansari

Post by Beeansari »

Very helpful instructions indeed on this thread. I have the same restart loop from the citroen logo on screen and am now in the process of replacing the SD card, and looking for firmware iso files.

Im in Australia, would there be any difference in the software as compared to European countries?If someone here can sell me the iso file I'd be grateful.
Head unit firmware
Head unit firmware
This is my firmware at the moment.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

We don't sell any software on the Forum. The Firmware ISO is the same that you can order in from your dealer if required, or I can provide a link if you would prefer to download it.

Check your Private Messages.

Marc