C4 engine fusebox help needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

C4 engine fusebox help needed

Post by admiral51 »

Hi all
My 2005 C4 has been giving me a kicking again :(

I am 99% sure i now need a replacement engine fusebox just not sure which one i need so any help appreciated :)
I have already done the blower bridge ( not shown in pics) but the pictures show the fusebox before that bridge ( 15 months ago) :)
Something i did not pick up on was the fact that the inline 40 amp fuse is actually replacing fuse #13 the BSM :(
Well it has now melted that fuse and the connectors to the fuse holder are burnt black. I replaced the wiring and fitted a new inline fuse and even after a BSI reset i am getting strange faults, brake lights on all the time, wiggle the connector and brake lights off, air bag lights on and when it starts foot on brake pedal display goes blank and engine cuts out.Wiggle connectors so brake lights stay on and runs fine, except foot on brake pedal and wipers come on lol
VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
DSC_0291.JPG
DSC_0294.JPG
I can talk to the car with my clone Lexia but only via Diagbox which detects Vin but will not talk to all ECU etc, Lexia3 is other option but i need to input RPO number and i do not know where to find that, thought it was on sticker on drivers door pillar but needs to be a 5 digit number and cannot find one there ?
And is a replacement BSM as Citroen call it a plug and play or something above my pay grade :oops:
As always putting my faith in your capable hands to stop SWMBO going into a mega rage :rofl2:
Last edited by admiral51 on 10 Jan 2021, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C4 engine fusebox help needed

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Part is 6500CK Colin. It doesn’t need coding or programming, but make sure you follow the battery disconnection and reconnection Procedure.

BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks Marc any ideas what a new one costs from Citroen, 2nd hand is going to be risky as it is a 14 yr old car, not going to waste good money, would like to get a new one and then chase back the wiring bypass issues :)
Can i be cheeky and ask if you know where the RPO number is located or does your status allow you to tell me what it is lol
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Colin, your RPO is located on the driver door pillar where the tyre pressures are. Ignore the letters, just the numbers, and in your case your RPO is: 10371. Lexia is fine for your C4 as it's a 2005 model.

Part 6500CK is currently £290.14 inc. VAT from Citroen, although Eurocarcare have new ones in for £162 inc. VAT plus shipping:

https://www.eurocarcare.net/bulbs-fuses ... e-box.html

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks Marc ordered from the link hopefully it will sort the issue out
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Talk about good service ordered part yesterday at 10 am arrived this morning at 9 am .
Fitted in under 20 minutes, BSI reset procedure followed and every thing works as it should :)
Taken fuse out from the heater blower bridge wire and it actually works as Citroen intended, no longer need to switch blower off before turning ignition on :lol:

I paid £170 ish for it all in, main dealers wanted just shy of £300 and when removed it had something rattling around in it.
Car has also been in for service at my local garage, £400 for oil/fuel/air and pollen filter, oil change and brake fluid change plus replacement of the near side inner steering rack joint that had been flagged as advisory for 4+ years on the MOT :)

Fuse box issue in first post happened 6 days ago, 2 days before it was due for its service so no fault of the garage, just hoped my re wiring had solved the problem but have a very happy SWMBO right now so thanks for all your help.

@Marc thank you so much for the help and advice, will be taking it for a drive tomorrow and then putting it on the Lexia again to see what faults if any are recorded.

Colin
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Excellent news, and I’m sure Mrs Colin will be equally pleased 😀

Marc
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Some history of PSA expecting standard-size blade fuses (0.25" blades) to handle high currents, and being unhappy delivering currents of 25A and more. Connectors and fuseholder contacts can overheat and oxidise, and finally burn out, often without blowing the fuse. For 40A and above, maxi fuses are preferable.

Some additional aftermarket in-line blade fuseholders are no better, despite often being described as 30A, some with thin wires attached, others relying on more 0.25" connections.

Blower motors are well-known for very high start-up currents. Even when running, full speed current can be 25A+, and start-up current much higher than that. It is good practice not to leave the fan speed control on High when quitting the car, to save wear on both IGN switch, connectors and fuses when the car is started up again. Far better just to turn down the speed to something lower for start-up.
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think the more modern PSA heater control systems with climate control all start on low speed and then gradually increase - it's one of the reasons why there are so many failures over time where the air puller motor bearings get damp and start to seize. The low start up current is insufficient to get the fan turning, so bridging the plug to get full current is the only way to kick start it off. Ultimately the blower motor needs replacing. It's another reason (when I remember) that I switch the A/C off towards the end of a journey to allow the warmer air to dry out the internals of the air ducts and channels - to try and prevent moisture forming and collecting in the system.

But on your point about the current - I've just recently completed the rear light cluster earth modification on our C3 as the earth pin socket had started to melt and was giving us bulb out warnings randomly for all the rear lights (at least we know there are bulb warnings now). I had to bypass the earth completely and used thicker earth wire, direct from the light cluster common earth printed feed, direct to the body earthing point. PSA failed miserably here with insufficient earth wire thickness for the earth serving all the rear lights.

Pics here:

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... lit=melted

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Well i am 100% sure it was the fusebox, have done 3 diagnostic sessions on it, both Lexia and Diagbox and everything is clear apart from P0136 downstream oxegen sensor that has a single intermittent fault at 1421 rpm @ 29 mph.
I cleared this fault, ran engine and then did another session and same fault even though car had not moved ??
Car has just been serviced and it is a little throaty compared to before but that may just be me lol
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

index.jpeg
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

myglaren wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 17:37index.jpeg

Blinking awesome :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

P0136: Downstream oxygen sensor signal: Coherence with the atmospheric pressure -
Voltage of sensor higher than 298 mv after 3 seconds in injection cut-off. (On releasing the pedal)
Immediate forwarding of the fault (so that's why the fault is coming straight back on).

Conditions of Activation of the Fault: Engine running
Conditions for disappearance of the fault: 3 starts and then stops of the engine without the fault being present.

Downgrade Modes:
  • Deactivation of the adaptation of the downstream oxygen sensor
  • Deactivation of the diagnostics on the catalytic converter
Symptoms:
  • Switching on of the warning lamp possible
  • Down-graded emission control
Suspect Areas:
  • Check the continuity of the electrical line between the downstream oxygen sensor and the engine mangement ECU
  • Check the heater element of the downstream oxygen sensor

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks Marc for that explanation, and there was me thinking it was just a normal Citroen glitch that would disappear #-o

Would i be correct in thinking that sensor is part of the catalytic converter and can be sourced for pennies :rofl2:

Will be taking it to work and back for the next couple of weeks ( 35 mile each way ) to try and give it a bit of run to get it up to temp rather than just running it around town and managed to get 46.7 mpg on the round trip today, my right foot is a lot lighter these days :lol:

Will leave the diagnostic check until the weekend, give it a proper chance to sort/throw up any faults .

Again thanks for all your help

Colin
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'm just doing some editing on the Forum , but will get back to you later regarding this - the sensors can be tested on a scope or with live data on Diagbox - but I'll get a part number L8R for you.

Marc