Open-Top motoring....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Open-Top motoring....

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Its a white Mercedes with a ragtop and probably goes vroom vroom.

Here it is
DSC07281.JPG
merc3.jpg
DSC07283.JPG
DSC07283a.JPG
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

Yes, they are all going back to rag tops, the folding roof phase has long gone, pretty good idea but way to much to go wrong, and takes up way to much boot space, my old meg 2 CC wasn't to bad the rear shelf (roof off) folded back against the rear seat, plus were the spare wheel would of been there was a round dip in the floor mat where you could store things "roof off" under the blind, one of the big custom changes owners use to love doing was making a new boot floor minus the dip, pointless if asked me as you are taking away storage.
I now have a meg 3 CC and the boot is awful, the dip has now gone by Renault Design, ok! but to add insult to now misery they have made the rear shelf a solid plastic ledge which now sits (roof On) across your boot wing to wing, 3/4 way up, massively reducing your boot space, terrible Idea, not surprised not many people own them to be honest, the one big plus of the old Mk2 was that massive boot with the roof on, the got rid of the Karmen roof (possible due to them going bust I guess) and now fit a webasto (Eos) roof to it, and it is so clunky and hefty now I sold my old Mk2 with over 170k on it not roof leaks side rears dripped, but that Karmen roof still opened lovely and silently and super smooth, and that was on a 2004 car, this one I now have is no were near the same quality.

But to be fair the roof quality of my wife's 308cc compared to the 307 we don't think is as good either.

It was a good sales idea at the time and sold a fair few vehicles, but it made them heavy and slower, less MPG, they went wrong quite often, touch wood all ours never have as of yet, but working in VW dealership the amount of EOS roofs with issues compared to the rag top Golfs was quite astounding. I think if you look after them lube them take care of seals etc and most important USE them more than once a year then they should be fine simple thing like don't open it on a slant as more importantly close it on a slant as the roof wont sit right on the screen and then leaks, keep an eye on drains keep em clear, the 308 cc as did the 307 have a really silly one bottom of the rear screen its a tunnel which allows water to run off the rear screen along the top of the boot lid and down inside the rear pillar comes out corner of the rear boot lid, problem all the detritus, leaves, dust all wash into this "tunnel" and block it, water then over flows over the boot seal (which is not the best in that corner) and into the boot, I clean it out once a month with a cable tie and push the crap out and then run water through them the 308 seems to be worse than the 307 for it, rag tops don't seem to have the same maintenance and store in a smaller space, the folding "tin top" transformers look has passed, to expensive on all counts.
Just Remember;Where ever you go, There you are !
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The rag top as you might expect on that Mercedes is automated. Not "push button" of course completely out of fashion. Yet another thing requiring interaction with the large touch screen and sliding to select. You can do it up to 37 mph and it takes 15 seconds. you tube link

In simpler times...the little red MG, another spot today manual rag top.."not so much to go wrong..." touchscreenless...might have a radio not quite so fast or expensive.
little ng.jpg
little mg 2.jpg
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

The Audi TT rag opens up to 30mph as well, you have to ask yourself why though, who in their right mind would want to open a roof @ 30mph.

I remember the MG Roadster the new one were awful to button down the roof once back on the car both men and women would break thumb nails on those rear button trying to pop them back on and at the very least make your thumbs ache as those cloth roof were really taught so you had to pull and manoeuvre it until the press studs lines up, getting it off was a little easier but again because that roof was so taught when new you could easily break finger nails trying to un-pop them, wow, how long ago was that I was a teenage apprentice then.

No roof position sensors or window sensors on them was there, mine stopped working on my Meg because my boot lid button was playing up, No ECU's on the MG it was just you!

Much easier apart from the nails thing, if I remember rightly the used one were only a little better, leave it in the sun for half and hour it was much easier to get off, I suppose the canvas would of expanded a little. Everything on motor cars these days is far to complicated although the push button age has made roof removal 100% easier with out even getting out of a the car now or reach across to lock them down as it is all done for you in under 30 seconds, But I do feel in general motor vehicles have become over complicated now, the amount of control unit, ECU and simple connector issues that put your car into limp or even off the road is incredible. To be fair most driver these day hasn't much of a clue who the technology works in their cars most can't even see the difference between the electric hand break and auto hold, most just let their car roll a little so auto hold grabs it then switch off without activating the the electric hand brake, it's quite scary some time especially with city breaking you would be surprised how many people think it works at 40mph at the end of a slip road and book the car in to be checked because it didn't stop at the junction, they think they don't need to brake the car will do it for them. Scary!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've never seen the sense in open tops in the UK much prefer the saloon with air-con. :)
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

They are brilliant, I always loved a car with a sunroof especially the fully retractable ones, then I hired a Megane CC on Rhodes Island and was hooked, drive into work lid off, home from work lid off does not even have to be sunny. if it rains you don't get wet unless you slow down to under 10mph, even when some moron who sadly thinks he is soaking you and I say he as 99% of the time it is a man usually in a van or people carrier (modern mini bus), by putting on his washers either in front of you or as he passes, hasn't the intelligence to understand aerodynamics, he empties his washer bottle and it all goes over the top of me, not a drop on me, and gets rather annoyed as you pass him laughing with his people carrier full of children.
I find it hard to understand these days why people buy convertible's and very rarely take off the roof unless it is cracking the slabs which is not often, it is a press of a button and 20 seconds of your life for a much more enjoyable ride home, even if less people do let you out at junctions with the roof off it, it almost reminds me of my motorcycling days with the open air all around you.
There is a guy in a Lotus which hardly ever has its roof on passes me every day even in winter on the A55, slows as he passes if my roof is on and shakes his head at me, thumbs up when it is off as he passes, I think he works at one of the dealerships on the industrial park next to us. The only time my AC is used is in winter. The wife 308cc is even better with heated seat and air scarf you can drive it in 5 degrees and still be warm in it.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've been to your part of the country for holidays.......it rained every time. :)
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

That's why Liverpool and Birmingham built reservoirs there!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

@Gibbo, Yes it does a lot of the time to be fair, people say us Welsh have webbed hands and feet through inter-breeding well it more to do with the constant rain helps us paddle around, owning a Convertible in these conditions can and is challenging, many a time I have left work in sunshine (no really no lie) and got half way home to find it raining.
About 2 months back lovely day, left work at 5 to blue skies and a bit of white puffy cloud, Got to Colwyn Bay passed by the Lotus with a wave, just passing the Old Colwyn turn off I thought Oooo those clouds look ominous few minutes later it was Torrential you could not see the end of your bonnet, OH, me no roof, lotus 3 cars ahead no roof, no layby, got home rather wet, not bad on the A55 but when you got to the slip it was that heavy it wasn't going over you, it was soaking you, I never knew 20 seconds was SUCH a long time when I getting that roof on...... It Felt like hours!
Next Day I bottled it left roof on, Lotus passed me with a wave and a rain hat on, fair do's.
But yes it's challenging at times.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Back in the 1950s we had a week at Clarach Bay, back then it was just a field with three or four caravans, it rained the whole week until we were due to leave on the Saturday, then the sun came out, we spent all day in the sea and I got horribly sunburned, too sick to drive home (In the Ford Prefect), fortunately I was using a mate's caravan so able to stay the extra night.
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

Well Back in the 50's pre Global Warming/Climate change or what ever it is called these days, we had summer in one whole day in Wales, now we have 24 hrs of summer spread over 3 months, oh the joys of modern life, so to catch the sun you have to be quick, is is usually out when we are in work, and very rare out at weekends apart from every other Saturday morning it makes an appearance when we are IN WORK!!!!!! 12:30 it's long gone, back to grey and overcast and oh yes not forgetting the wet stuff.
And then we end up with a hose pipe ban, HOW?
But I suppose as Paul-R said it all goes to Birmingham and Liverpool, so most probably the Sons of Glyndwr pulling the plugs out of the reservoirs, that will put pay to English water Ha! OH we haven't got any ether now, yea never thought of that, Ah blame climate change.
BUT the best thing about your Convertible it also makes a great row boat, get that roof off and the oars out and you are off, passing all the submerged tractors.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

Well if you are considering a convertible you may as well do it in style!! :-D
BFTW
BFTW
Details here
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I had a customer with an Interceptor, a disappointing car really, the guy was an estate agent, he too turned out to be disappointing, sold time share properties to his family friends and neighbours then disappeared when they all turned out to be worthless and the money lost.
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

My elder Brother had a Jensen Interceptor, not the convertible, he also said it was disappointing, it broke down a lot that I do remember, he did say years later he bought it because it looked good but it was one of the most unreliable cars he had ever owned, worse than the Triumph stag he had for a while, now that is saying something.

Now here is something I always wanted to own.
ALFA SPider.jpg
However when you speak to anyone who has had one they grimace slightly, and tell you about subframe mounts issues that it constantly suffers from, there was one in the Garage opposite us the suspension centre and he said they are a nightmare he has 3 that turn up far to regular, for rear tracking issues and subframe mounts.
But Still a crackin looking 2 seater.
ChrisRobin

Post by ChrisRobin »

But, If you really want to do it in style......
For Sale 2012 a mere £42K
For Sale 2012 a mere £42K
You can buy this from a dealer by us for a mere £42,995, 35k on the clock and it has a reversing camera, what more could you ask for from a 2012 car, explains why my wife paid £7k for her 2012 308cc it doesn't have a reversing camera.