In the News-British Carbon Fibre & other composites?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: In the News-British Carbon Fibre?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I presume the science of materials able to be used in 3-D printing is gathering pace too.

On another thread I linked to this article about Porsche successfully testing 3-D printing of electric drive and gearbox housings.

Maybe the stuff they use is "I cant believe its not metal" but it just looks like a normal metal housing.
NewcastleFalcon wrote:
03 Feb 2021, 11:14
If you follow Zel's blog you will have seen some of the excellent results of his delve into the world of 3D printing.

Well Porsche have also been having a bit of delve....
ELECTREK:Porsche is 3D printing electric drive housings that are lighter and stronger than conventional ones

In December, Porsche announced that it had been 3D printing prototype housings for electric drives that were stronger, lighter, and much quicker to manufacture. The engine-gearbox units produced using this method were even able to pass all of the company’s quality and stress tests without issue.

Regards Neil

NewcastleFalcon

Re: In the News-British Carbon Fibre & other composites?

There are a lot of uses of steel, we have evolved to depend on it, but increasingly....in the stuff I read anyway, it is getting ditched. The move to electrification is a case in point. Arrival use a composite material for the bodies of their electric vans, because it is lighter than steel, and has other properties like a no paint finish, and flexibility, and they claim totally recyclable. On a smaller scale the last mile delivery bikes by EAV, also use a composite body again for the reason of lightness.

The video starts at the Materials little section

REgards Neil

NewcastleFalcon

And Volta trucks using flax fibre composite panels and ribs in their trucks too. Everyone is going to be doing it, just a matter of time, and it will filter down to cars.
Of course the truck is in boring glossy white rather than looking like a beach mat
Of course the truck is in boring glossy white rather than looking like a beach mat
REgards Neil

NewcastleFalcon

Well a loose connection with the thread title in the name :-D

Regards Neil