DS5 Reverse Camera

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: DS5 Reverse Camera

Post by mickthemaverick »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 19:05 I do use my eyes and ears when reversing, but that small child was short enough that they were below the glass in the tailgate, and impossible to see (and they had come in from my blind side while I had my head turned to reverse in). It was only when they got further away from the car that I was able to see them. Once I had parked the car I went and had a strong cup of tea to calm my nerves. THAT was an experience I have no wish to repeat (or for anybody else to go through).
I'm sure you do James and I certainly didn't mean to imply anything else, its just that I am concerned that the addition of more and more technology will eventually lead to someone reversing into something and on the insurance claim writing "it didn't appear on the screen so it's not my fault" :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The main thing I have found with my Civic is problems reversing in the dark. Visibility is poor, the windows are small and the reversing lights too close to the centre of the car with a poor spread of light.

I take my car to my son's house in the evening so he can use it to travel to work. I have to reverse it in to his drive outside the four garages and his is second one from the left. There are always two cars on my right and one on my left, one black, one maroon and on the other side a dark grey one. Oddly, the mirrors seem to have a somewhat restricted view too. There is a gap about a foot wider than my car to get in. Compared with the C5 I find it quite difficult. The C5 had an infinitely better field of view all round. This is the first car I have had that has reversing sensors and they can be quite misleading. I usually take them with a pinch of salt.
I could of course just drive nose-in and let him reverse it out but I absolutely hate reversing out and will go to great lengths to avoid it.

Never driven a car with a reversing camera but have been a passenger in Bencowell's Genesis and have to say that the all-round cameras in that were impressive. Particularly when it reverse parked itself.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

I have to agree Steve that when working properly the cameras are a very useful aid. I had one with the self parking facility on my 2007 Prius and while it did do the job pretty well I could reverse park it better and a lot quicker than the system. As I mentioned my main concern is that drivers become too dependant on the aid such that when a failure occurs, be it technical or environmental, they are unable to do the job themselves! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
earlam
My Cars: DS5 HYBRID4

Post by earlam »

Neilied wrote: 11 Oct 2019, 10:31 How easy would this be to fit myself.
I have a camera part number
9804632980. Was told it would fit my 2012 hybrid 4 can anyone help
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: DS DS5 2.0 180BHP Prestige 2016
Citroen Berlingo Multispace 1.6 90BHP XTR 2014
Both in black, we could start an economy brand undertakers

Post by NotAnInterestingName »

I'd bet it's likely that this is a shared part with many other Citroen/Peugeot models. Probably worth scouring ebay etc for a scrap one.

I can confirm that the standard camera on my 2016 DS5 is pretty brilliant. Good clear picture in pitch black surroundings, although I do have spectacularly bright reversing lights - they're probably as bright as some headlights.
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

There are good and bad LED bulbs, some are no better or even worse than standard ones.

These are my reversing light bulbs, have had them 18 months and still working perfectly...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000385340552.html

You need the "1156 BA15S P21W" option.

No MOT issues (tested twice), no complaints - obviously they're only on when reversing so dazzle really isn't an issue unlike for side or headlights.
Mares
My Cars: Citroen DS5

Post by Mares »

Hi, your link is not working, can you repair it because I would like to take a look and maybe consider buying them as well?
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

Link works here, just tried it on two browsers. Try a different browser or device.
Mares
My Cars: Citroen DS5

Post by Mares »

Ok, now it works.

Is it simple just plug-in replacement, no modifications required? I have 2011 DS5 with old reverse camera, not sure if these bulbs will improve brightness on old camera view?
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

Yes, just a plug-in replacement. You won't get any blown bulb warnings, and will have reversing lights like headlights.

It will definitely improve the camera. Whether it will be good enough is an unknown. I do know that my later camera is definitely clear as day with these light bulbs, but the older camera may be less good but may or may not be adequately good.

Definitely worth a try though. Having decent reversing lights is an all round advantage anyway, regardless of the camera.

Let us know whether the old camera is or isn't adequate with these bulbs.