Does seat foam padding exists as spare part - C5 x7

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Does seat foam padding exists as spare part - C5 x7

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Stu is in the UK but Avi is in Israel - but sounds like a good idea, although still very expensive Cutac - a new seat base from Citroen for Avi's seat would only be £497 inc. VAT (576 Euros)....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Cutac
My Cars: 2011 B7 Citroen C4 1.4 VTi
2006 Citroen C4 2.0 VTS

Post by Cutac »

Oh, right.
A seat base for the VTS costs 900 euro, making a new one would probably be cheaper if a seat base for X7 is cheaper.
atr
My Cars: Xantia 2.0l 16v 2001 petrol
C5 mkII 2.0l petrol sx pack 2007
C5 x7 saloon petrol 2010

Post by atr »

Really, thanx for your comments. I'm afraid that the offer that was made by Cutac is not applicable. as I mentioned before, no one (upholsterer) is willing to deal with it, because of the fact that the foam is bonded to the fabric and I can't even imagine that they will enter an "adventure" of fabricating a new seat. I understand that the airbag is in the back of the seat. good.
Avi
Cutac
2006 Citroen C4 2.0 VTS

Post by Cutac »

Maybe find someone abroad who would do it?
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Marc sorry to put you to more work but if we focus on cloth seats for a minute so no electric controls/ heating etc then it should be possible to swap the complete seat regardless of where the steering wheel is in relation to the seat.
I have seen a passenger seat ( LHD ) for sale delivered to the UK for £350 so fingers crossed the connectors are the same regardless of steering wheel ?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You've lost me... I'm not following you with regard to what the steering wheel has to do with the seats....

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 16:53 You've lost me... I'm not following you with regard to what the steering wheel has to do with the seats....
Sorry Marc been a long week.
Cloth seats no electronics apart from air bags can i swap the front seats round, ie put the drivers seat where the passenger seat is and vice versa on the same vehicle or are the connectors side specific ?
We look at stuff as LHD/RHD ie steering wheel position but have Citroen put a different plug left/right for production purposes ?
Cutac
2006 Citroen C4 2.0 VTS

Post by Cutac »

If you did that, your seat controls would be obscured by the centre console.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

admiral51 wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 17:17
GiveMeABreak wrote: 09 Nov 2019, 16:53 You've lost me... I'm not following you with regard to what the steering wheel has to do with the seats....
Sorry Marc been a long week.
Cloth seats no electronics apart from air bags can i swap the front seats round, ie put the drivers seat where the passenger seat is and vice versa on the same vehicle or are the connectors side specific ?
We look at stuff as LHD/RHD ie steering wheel position but have Citroen put a different plug left/right for production purposes ?
No essentially Colin.

1) There are different seats for RHD / LHD cars of course and there are different wiring looms.

2) But regardless of that and talking about either RHD or LHD, swapping seats from driver to passenger / passenger to driver would be dangerous / even fatal, as the airbag modules would be facing the passenger / driver instead of the door. The Airbag ECU determines which airbags are triggered according to impact area and to what degree.

The steering wheel and passenger front facing airbags have the same strategy and also different wiring looms for RHD / LHD cars.

Marc
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

the drivers and passenger side are different, the difference is the that there is a large portion on cloth/foam removed from the area where the heating & massage controls should be. I had thought about this and the possibility of cutting out the side where required and 'gluing' a suitable material, with a foam support over the offending hole on the other side.............another option perhaps?

Sorry about about any smelling mistakes...........too much Penderyn I think! https://www.penderynstore.com/Products/ ... 0cl-bottle
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

@Marc
Sorry i did not explain properly, if a LHD drivers seat is a passenger seat in a RHD vehicle can they be swapped from one to the other if they stay in the same position, will the connectors for air bag etc be the same, i get the fact that in the same vehicle you cannot swap them because of airbag issues being deployed wrongly, so my point about the steering wheel was do the connectors change if the seat is classed as drivers/passenger or is the wiring loom in place and the seat that is on the left has connector A and seat on the right has connector B
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

All I can tell you is that there are at least 12 types of Airbag ECU fitted to the X7, and more belt and seat harnesses than I can count. The actual airbag modules in the front seat are one for the front left and another for the front right regardless of LHD / RHD, but the wiring harnesses and ECU are certainly different for RHD and LHD vehicle’s, equipment options and build dates.

The lateral acceleration impact sensors will alert the airbag ECU so it can determine which airbags to trigger, and those lateral trajectory sensors will be wired into a particular loom - so I’m going to leave it at that Colin for obvious reasons of safety, as I can’t tell you how the ECU differs or the wiring looms.

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Thanks Marc, that answers all of my questions, even those i have not managed to ask yet :)
Now if only i knew a good upholsterer ...:)
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 08 Nov 2019, 12:39 People have a habit of sitting on the side bolster as they get in that weakens it. I have full leather and that is fine - but then I make sure I sit onto the seat directly as I get in and not on the side bolster and slide over.
Hi Marc, does this mean that the leather is probably not bonded to the foam?......... which may explain that some leather seats tend to look a bit 'crumpled' in some photos? or as stated above it is down to use and being looked after properly.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

My driver's side was slightly 'cracked' on the bolster when I first got her. I have since treated her twice a year with good quality leather cream to nourish and protect it.

I think in my case it was a combo of a 'fat-arsed Fred (or Freda) with the previous owner and of allowing it to dry out / water being allowed to sit and generally not bothering to keep it on good nick. The bolster itself is fine.

As for the foam, I believe they are bonded but after reading through the lengthy leather repair procedure, it involves preparing with some cleaner, using tweezers to separate the leather from the foam, cleaning, cutting a patch, inserting, putting some gunk on, ironing, removing mould, applying some liquid leather, more gunk, peeling off, ironing, then priming, painting and spraying some gel on!

So from that I'm assuming it can be separated for repair purposes, but impractical for larger areas.

Marc