The Hydrogen Thread

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: The Hydrogen Thread

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Dormouse wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 10:04
These cars look like they have borrowed the aerodynamic shaping from some of the pure ultra mileage vehicles in the likes of the Shell Marathon and Trans Australia Electric Challenges. Very low and light with skinny low rolling resistances tyres. Quadricycles by another name to me and probably wouldn't fare well in an NCAP type collision with a Tesla X never mind a timber lorry. Interesting though.
This is a Safety information factsheet which Riversimple have produced for the beta version of their vehicle, and the addons which the production version will have.

https://www.riversimple.com/wp-content/ ... eet_p3.pdf

REgards Neil

Dormouse
Donor 2021

Post by Dormouse »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
10 Jun 2021, 14:32
Dormouse wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 10:04
These cars look like they have borrowed the aerodynamic shaping from some of the pure ultra mileage vehicles in the likes of the Shell Marathon and Trans Australia Electric Challenges. Very low and light with skinny low rolling resistances tyres. Quadricycles by another name to me and probably wouldn't fare well in an NCAP type collision with a Tesla X never mind a timber lorry. Interesting though.
This is a Safety information factsheet which Riversimple have produced for the beta version of their vehicle, and the addons which the production version will have.

https://www.riversimple.com/wp-content/ ... eet_p3.pdf

REgards Neil
Very interesting that they actually admit than an IVA is the least onerous testing regime and that they put a question mark against NCAP testing. In one of my many guises I have been an RAC MSA Scrutineer - both Vehicle and Environmental. Now, as one of my other hats has been MOT tester and Vosa trained Vehicle Examiner, I can say that there are broad similarities to RAC MSA Vehicle Logbooking and an IVA examination. Neither are anything close to full structural assessments and do not routinely require a Structural Analysis Report and rely on individual one off examinations normally limited to visual assessment and basic criteria along with the use of proprietary parts in their normal function. Once you get into the realms of non proprietary/ non standard, a basic gauging of the materials used and their assembly is applied but not calculated by the tester. If the vehicle comes with any build or analysis reports, they will be read but not necessarily actioned upon. It is not quite that simple if you have actually done it but it is by no means close to a full Manufacturer's Engineering/ Structural Assessment.

Dormouse
Donor 2021

Post by Dormouse »

I have studied Riversimple's website further and I am intrigued by their Rasa monocoque central cage. It has to rely extensively on interlocking door crash structures and front and rear controlled crumple zones to survive. I know carbon fibre is immensely strong but there is only so much a simple piece of the structure can do on it's own. Would be really keen to see under it's skin. Their van/5 seater relies on an entirely different structure.

Dormouse
Donor 2021

Post by Dormouse »

I think I would rather have a plywood 2CV Africar than the Rasa. Or better still, the Rasa running gear in an Africar.

Gibbo2286
Donor 2020

Post by Gibbo2286 »