Soot on rear doors Expert 2.0 HDi (DW10CD)

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jsoap
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 2.0 HDi 130 (DW10CD)

Re: Soot on rear doors Expert 2.0 HDi (DW10CD)

Post by jsoap »

Now that I've set up logging,I'm getting a better picture of what's going on.
Reading around other forums, my assumtion is that normally regens should happen at 6g soot, and approx 300 mile intervals and that the DPF pressure should be less than 300mbar
I missed the regen on the first run because the Bluetooth went to sleep - however it was a shout 15 mile run and the soot level was only 1.5g. Soot apparent on back doors. Next run was 110 miles on the motorway and the regen started after about 50 miles - soot level again was only 1.5g, however I could see that the DPF differential pressure had peaked at nearly 400mbar. The soot level went to zero in one minute, and the regen carried on for a full 30 mins. The temperature at the DPF was reported at 550 deg during this time. Soot on rear doors, but noticably less than seen before.
Next trip was 110 miles, and the regen started at 85miles when the pressure peaked at 410mbar, soot was 1.6g - again this burned off in 2 minutes, and the regen carried on for 30 minutes as before (had to take a detour to keep running). This time there was no soot on the the doors.
My thinking is that the DPF is somewhat clogged - probably due to the previous owner doing 25 mile commutes, which would suggest that regen cycles were not completing. So hopefully my longer trips are slowly clearing out the DPF - fingers crossed.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It is so important that these are allowed to regenerate as failed attempts will ultimately result in a blocked filter. Once it gets to near 70-80% full regeneration will have no effect. There are several programmes the engine ECU will invoke if it cannot regenerate - dependent on soot levels and distance travelled, length of journey etc. to try and get a complete regeneration - but if the regens are constantly interrupted then it will soon have the light on and will go into reduced power mode.

Glad it seems to be clearing for you.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
jsoap

Post by jsoap »

Have been monitoring the regens for the last month and it appears to be working ok, the there is still some signs of soot on the back door.
However last week I started to notice black smoke coming from the exhaust. Previously there was some white smoke and diesel smell at startup, which disappeared after the engine warmed up. Now at startup, at idle there is grey/black smoke, and a cloud of black smoke when accelerating.
I was away from home at the time and decided to keep driving, since the van was driving ok and there were no error codes. Driving slowly and avoiding sudden acceleration and the engine light came on - error code P0299. Cleared this, and it came back 130 miles later. Since then I did another 300 miles and no error code.
I've updated Diagbox to 7.76 and it can see the ECU, so any advice on where to look would be appreciated.
jsoap

Post by jsoap »

Took the van to a local independent who took the DPF off and we could see that the a segment of the core was cracked.
So now with a new aftermarket filter fitted, and the ash/additive in the DPF reset to zero - no sign of smoke from the rear.
The DPF pressure when stationary is about 30mb at 2k revs, however once I start driving this climbs to 400mb peaks after about 20 mins, sometimes jumping up and down with steady revs. Shortly after this the regen kicks off, even though there is only 0.2g/l soot in the filter. The pressure then drops back to normal again after about 2mins.
Done this twice now - 20 miles between regens - no fault codes.
jsoap

Post by jsoap »

DPF is broken again so back to square one again.
Had another look in the engine bay and there was some signs of smoke. So took off the rubber injector cover, and there is smoke coming out of one of the cover mounting holes. Putting my finger over the hole, I can feel pulses pushing air/smoke out. I have no idea why anything should be coming out of this hole
man.jpg
jsoap

Post by jsoap »

It appeared that the garage had managed to tighten down the injector bolt cover too tightly and cracked the manifold. So I was seeing exhaust pulses from the EGR.
So the manifold was replaced with one from a Ford Kuga with 50k on the clock, showing a light black film
By way of contrast this is a pic of the old manifold.
2019-09-01 16.45.22.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I wouldn’t be taking it back to that garage again if they don’t know the correct torque settings!

Marc
jsoap

Post by jsoap »

I know, it's not as if they need to be more than finger tight. But that's the way it happened and at least he felt guilty enough to only charge £150 for fitting the supplied parts.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Fair play!

Marc
jsoap

Post by jsoap »

The aftermarket DPF was replaced with a genuine Peugeot version - and the regens were happening every 50 miles. No fault codes and no performance issues.
After 450 miles I decided that I should get the local dealer involved. They took it for a run, ran the diag and told me there was "no fault found" - despite reading an average 164km between regens (in fact this average is high because the average is calculated over 10 regens).
When I got home I realised that the diag at the dealer indicated that a regen was in progress and that the average was now 121km.
The next run out I got a P1490 risk of blockage after 98km, followed 43km later by P1477 DPF blocked. So the new DPF is now blocked after 800km.
I contacted Peugeot customer care with the details, including my reluctance to go back to this dealer. Unsurprisingly after 4 weeks they suggested that I go to a dealer.
Since then I've replaced the DPF pressure sensor, and tried to do a forced regen - which fails because the 2 error codes come back as soon as the process starts.
Any ideas would be appreciated.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi - sounds a bit of a nightmare - My information for fault codes P1490 and / or P1477 on a DW10CTED4 engine suggests cleaning or replacing of the particle filter (which I know you have had replaced) but also included a software update to the Engine Management ECU. Now I don't know whether there was a Technical Service Bulletin for your particular engine - but it is the same family and a slightly later engine. It also had something to do with a check of the flow of circulating air.

Marc
jsoap

Post by jsoap »

Yes, Diagbox confirms that if you have P1477 then replace the filter. As for s/w update I had that updated by another dealer after the aftermarket DPF failed, last September. The forced regen process indicated that I needed to clear the codes, and then run the flow of circulating air actuator tests first. I did this and it reported a pass, though it triggered the fault codes again.
I do wonder if the eolys is being injected into the diesel - resevoir vol = 1620ml, current addditive remaining 1072ml. So the ECU estimates 548ml over 83,000km?
jsoap

Post by jsoap »

Just looking at the figures for additive
548ml / 51k miles = 10.75ml/1k miles
tank vol 1620ml/10.75ml = 150,000 mile capacity.

Yet when I check the service schedule for my VIN on servicebox it states -
"Check of the particle emission filter additive level - 60,000 miles and then every 20,000 miles"
I've got some historical data that indicates that each fillup the ECU is adding 4-5ml per 50l of fuel - I have seen a reference to 8ml per 50l for Eolys Powerflex, but nothing official
jsoap

Post by jsoap »

After a little more digging around I found the info from the manufacturer Solvay https://www.solvay.com/en/brands/eolys-powerflex

Eolys PowerFlex® ..
Recommended fuel treatment rate of 3 to 5mg Metal catalyst per kg of fuel (ppm Metal)
Vehicle-on-Board volume of 1.2 to 1.9 liters for a 250,000km autonomy (for fuel consumption of 7 liters/100km)

So my projected usage seems to be in the right area i.e. 1.6l for 240,000km
At 7 litres/100km this comes out at 4.76ml/50 litres, which is what I'm seeing
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Just for info, on this model, the amount of additive filled at the factory is 3.4L

Marc