Help! Xantia newbie suspension problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hi again Morg -
GSF is always at hand - just click on the home button upper right - then choose online shop [;)]
Their parts cost won't disappoint you [:)]
Did the warning lamp come on during your brakes mishap ?
- as this is meant as a warning !
I'm not sure it's a good idea to try sort everything in one go.
By sod's laws - you always end up in a bugger problem - needing more parts and/or tools [8)]
And then the time factor kick you from behind [xx(]
1) locate that leak you have first off. Then try repair it - if it's a split rubber hose (common). Rigid (steel) pipes you can not repair by common means - it's replacing.
2) if the pump is ticking constantly when engine idle - then replace the accumulator sphere located down on engine block.
3) jack up the rear on safety stands - then lube up all moving joints in the rear HC linkages. First using any lubing spray - then a dab of grease over the joints.
Dirty LHM would not be a shortterm problem - postpone untill nice weather conditions.
Replacing other spheres on car - than the accumulator sphere on engine - I highly recommand to postpone also - as riscs are related piping needs replacing because of such sphere jobs. And then you bang head on into time deadlines - possibly when it starts raining [:(]
When you're ready for fluid replacing - a description may be found here : LHM fluid service
Also you find here how to depressurise the system pressure for the acc sphere replacement.
Try scan the other Tips & Tricks found on the citroenz forum - if you need bits of info on the work.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

>>The keyfob does absolutely nothing at all. It is as dead as the Monty Python parrot!<<
OI Morg! the parrot was only poorly-ill not dead! it just needed a lie down and some tlc. :-D lol..
morgaine
My Cars:

Post by morgaine »

Anders,
I found GSF thanks, the prices are great! I have been looking at a few of the posts to prepare for changing the accumulator sphere - what's the magic tool that everyone is talking about, and is there anything else I should have on hand?
I'm a bit worried in case it turns out to be the anti-sink sphere, that does sound like a nightmare, and knowing my luck something will break. I remember swapping the engine in my Supra a few years ago and managing somehow to crack the aircon pipe!
One (probably silly) question - is there just one accumulator sphere that fits all 6 - I only found "accumulator sphere" listed (rather than anti-sink spere, main sphere etc)
I will start with the leak as you suggest, and I'll let you know how I get on!
James - it could just be hibernating, I suppose ;)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Morg -
To make it clear :
The rear antisink sphere has NOTHING to do with the problem of the rear not rising.
It's ONLY there to provide a spare pressure for the rear brakes pressure - in the event of a system pressure loss.
If it fails - it causes the rear to drop - after long time parking - and system pressure then builds up on engine start.
The antisink feature itself is provided by the valve that locks the rear suspension on system pressure drop - AFTER engine is stopped.
In other words : IGNORE that antisink sphere first off - as your own suggestions on possible problems are more than likely to occur.
You're not the first to focus on this antisink sphere - but it's a time waster - considered the problems and work conditions you have.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hi,
You need an N45372 anti sink sphere from GSF and an N45304 accumulator.
Handy tip, choose your make and model and then search using plain English or abbreviations to find what you are looking for e.g. "Sink Xantia, Acc Xantia " etc etc.
morgaine
My Cars:

Post by morgaine »

Jon - many thanks, I have now found the part.
Anders - thanks again for all the help, you've been a star! I feel happier about just changing the accumulator sphere that trying to do the anti-sink so that's good news.
I have been trying to find a procedure for changing the accumulator sphere online as our local Halfords have still not got the Xantia manual in and I'm running out of hope of getting it by the weekend. Does anyone know if this is available?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Easy (ha!)
Front on ramps, check underneath to see if plastic undertray is still fitted - if it is remove it (probably with an angle grinder). With engine running put the car in low suspension, leave for around 30s, then reach (Carefully!) down the front of the engine to the pressure regulator (device the accumulator is screwed to) and undo the 12mm bleed screw (it's the only 12mm bolt on there, and sticks out of the front of the regulator) 1 to 1.5 turns ONLY (do not remove as you lose the ball bearing behind it). After about 1 minute system will be depressurised so shut off engine. Unscrew and remove the sphere (using what ever means necessary - hand / chain wrench / jubilee clip and inner tube / cold chisel - watch the radiator!). Remove the seal from PR body, lightly grease the new seal and fit it to the PR body. Screw on the new sphere hand tight only. Tighten (gently!) the bleed screw, select high suspension and re-start the engine. Will take longer for the light to go out and raise as you have had it fully depressured. Drop it off the ramps then go max - min - max suspension a couple of times, ending at max, and then check the fluid level. Check new sphere is not leaking, return to normal level, bin the plastic undertray (but bolt the wing liners back to the front cross member or they drag on the road and make an awful racket!). Have a cup of tea, then start on the anti-sink sphere. Same process, except you need to remove the pipe that goes into it first, or it breaks off. Use some WD-40 on the pipe first or it might break off anyway. As you are already suffering weird rear brake behaviour, I think you will need to bleed the brakes afterwards. Watch out for broken nipples....
Enjoy(!)
mark_sp

Post by mark_sp »

changing accumulator sphere on anti-sink Xantia:
This off the top of my head so if its not entirely correct I'm sure someone else will spot it. The big question is wether you can get to the sphere from the top or the bottom. Top is easiest as the car does not have to be on ramps. The following assumes that you can do the job from the top.
with engine running and handbrake on set suspension to minimum height.
allow car to sink and let it idle for another minute.
switch off engine and take care not to move steering wheel.
undo pressure relief valve one turn max, its a 13mm bolt head sticking out of the unit the accumulator sphere is attached to, it points towards the front of the car. you will hear the pressure being released.
unscrew sphere, you will need a sphere removal tool of some sort, one of the pleiedes units is good or maybe a chain wrench. be prepared for some fluid loss as the shot sphere will be full of fluid.
fit the new sphere using a new seal hand tighten only.
close the pressure releif valve - don't overtighten it.
restart engine and allow it to idle , wait for "stop" message on dash to clear.
set height back to normal.
Finally check the LHM level.
Hope this is of use.
Mark.
morgaine
My Cars:

Post by morgaine »

Thanks guys, you've all been great. You have made being a new Cit owner a lot happier experience!
I will let you know how I get on!
morgaine
My Cars:

Post by morgaine »

Hooray - a happier Xantia!
The accumulator sphere is swapped and the height corrector linkage is reattached (the piece of wire the last owner had tied it on with had broken(!?!). The car's now going up and down much more happily (after a lot of Citaerobics!) and will go to Normal position at last.
The bad news is that the LHM leak would appear to be on or around the anti-sink sphere. I need to get an under-car wash done so I can see exactly where from - there's so much LHM splashed about I can't tell. Then I will wait till I don't need the Xantia for a few days and get the sphere and the linkage swapped together. I really don't like the look of the pipes by the sphere!
Cheers all who helped diagnose the problem, my Xantia has apprciated the TLC!