HELP-- LDS fluid all overthe place!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: HELP-- LDS fluid all overthe place!

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, good luck - don't forget the wellies and suitable attire Roger:
Mac.PNG

white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

What the LDS tank has to withstand (if you don't remove the cap) is essentially simple.

If you lift the car and let the wheels dangle, fluid is sucked out of the tank, to fill the suspension, with the restrictor valve in the cap allowing air in.

But, if you leave the cap on tight, and then quickly drop the car back on to its wheels - as a tyre-fitter might do - a large volume of fluid rushes rapidly back into the reservoir, and the valve cannot cope with this sudden rise in pressure - and the tank can split.

So the recommended procedure for putting the car back on to its wheels is to return the car to the ground with the cap off with the suspension still on highest, and only then refit the cap, and then reset the car to Normal height. This last will be a controlled and gradual lowering, which the tank and system should do without damage.

rmunns

Post by rmunns »

My situation is that the car is in LOW setting with all 4 wheels ON the ground, with the tank's cap OFF.

So - when I jack up to all 4 wheels off the gound, the level of fluid should just drop?

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes understood Roger, so like I suggest, the system was probably well - pressurised and obviously the cap hadn't been opened for some time. Fingers crossed you’ll be ok from now on.

Had this been the typical situation that the procedure linked to is designed to prevent and as Chris mentions, I suspect you would of split the tank with that amount of pressure in the system. So critical for future tyre fitters to be made aware of the requirement - so get a few stickers printed off.