Sad week for me.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: Sad week for me.

Post by qprdude »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 15:54 A firmware update won’t do any harm Rick. I suspect it may have gone into a funny mode because of overheating sometimes they can reset and restart as they are not very well cooled.

Or try a BSI reset

Disconnected the battery for a few minutes and the car wouldn't start when I reconnected. Plenty life in the battery and the engine cranked quickly but wouldn't fire.
After much searching for a fuel inertia swithc in the dark, I gave up for 10 minutes and tried again. Phew, it started. The sat nav/ radio and sensors are still the same. I can't even reset the clock as I get about 8 seconds before the screen goes black for another 20 seconds or so. If I had hair........
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Rick, I've put a newer procedure up here:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=61997

The timings are important - as especially in your example, the RT6 can remain on for 5 minutes before it powers down, so disconnecting for a few minutes won't cut it if you are trying to ensure the ECUs reset.

It may also account for the delay in starting you had ....
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 20:39 Rick, I've put a newer procedure up here:

The timings are important - as especially in your example, the RT6 can remain on for 5 minutes before it powers down, so disconnecting for a few minutes won't cut it if you are trying to ensure the ECUs reset.

All good stuff Marc, but the DS5 doesnt have a key . The negative battery terminal is at the back of the battery under the fuse box. The fob slot is in the meddle or the car and difficult to reach through an open window, not sure if I should try this. I need the car tomorrow morning so I certainly won't be trying it tonight. I have a feeling the showroom salesperson will be in touch tomorrow to do the swap so they will either have to accept the DS5 as it is or the deal will be off.
Rick.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, I was going to do an update for the keyless system (Paul did remind me). For these systems, just press the Start Stop button without pressing any pedals. That should switch ignition on only. But when reconnecting battery, ensure the fob is not within 2-3 metres of the car perimeter until the time of reconnecting the battery has lapsed.

Marc
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 21:03 Ok, I was going to do an update for the keyless system (Paul did remind me). For these systems, just press the Start Stop button without pressing any pedals. That should switch ignition on only. But when reconnecting battery, ensure the fob is not within 2-3 metres of the car perimeter until the time of reconnecting the battery has lapsed.

If the salesperson hasn't contacted me by tomorrow afternoon, I might give it a go. Can't try to reload the firmware, as the unit keeps shutting down.
Rick.

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Thats bloody typical Rick, a Citroen kicking your ass just as you are leaving them. I have defected from citroen for my daily too, now having a seat leon. Its surprisingly comfortable, noticeably better than my mates mk 5 golf on which its based. I still have a french though, the pug 407 coupe is still here, that car feels special every time I get in it, and has superb comfort, rivalling the c5 I owned when I met you. Its staying put now its running perfectly, and 35mpg average is quite acceptable for a big heavy 2.7 v6 hdi auto in my opinion. I think the only BMW I would consider would be a 525 or 530 diesel auto, and it too would be older than 6 years old!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Good to hear from you Davie. Could only afford the 520 I'm afraid. We still have the wee Renault Clio we bought 11years ago in Inverurie! It has done just under 6000 miles now, so virtually new! Long time since the meet up in Kemnay. Hope you are keeping well and the back is not playing up!.

PS. Maybe I should have kept the white C 5 x7 you liked!
Rick.

Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

qprdude wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 14:57 Disaster has struck! Mt DS5 sat nav has gone on the blink just as I'm about to trade for the BMW. The deal is more or less done, deposit paid and I'm awaiting a new mot and machine polish. Last week, the RT6 had a couple of moments but today, everything comes on and after about ten seconds it shuts down. Radio goes off, sat nav tries to show a map, then cuts off too. Reverse camera works but no audio warning. I had the system updated last year, to accept UK postcode search and everything worked fine until now. I have the firmware update cd provided by the Citroen main dealer but I'm hesitant to try to reload as don't want to totally brick it. Another week and I'd have been home free!

Just trade it anyway, presumably they already checked the car over before agreeing a trade in price, at most they will walk round it, last one I traded in they didn't even do that, just asked where it was parked and took the keys. If they spot anything after it's handed over then it's their problem "it was fine when you drove it to them" :^o
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Very tempting, but the garage is just round the corner from me, I'm getting a short warranty and they are pretty fair with their trade in price at £ 600 above book, and everyone else I've tried. It's just not in my nature. I'll tell it's playing up and see what they say
I'd be happy to give them the firmware disc and £50
I suspect from research, it's going to cost a lot more than that.
Rick.

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Im like you Rick, I would have to own up. Since I bumped the 07 plate c5 I had then I have tried a lot of cars for my daily, and havent found a suitable one until I got my Leon. Then I went and wrote it off hitting a deer and doing £3500 worth of damage to a £3100 car, 6 weeks after buying it. I had to go buy another, and ended up a few quid better off, with a newer, less mileage, higher spec car! My health has good days and bad days now, overall worse now than it was then, but I just have to glory on and do what I can without moaning (too much haha)
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Andy F
My Cars:

Post by Andy F »

myglaren wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 14:08 Certainly the Picasso counts :)

Strange that you mention the SAAB is a rough ride.
Youngest daughter had two, a 900 Aero and a later 900 ragtop (just as they changed to 93).
Her elder sister also had two 93 ragtops.

Although not in the Citroen league regarding suspension, I found all four quite comfortable and decent rides.
The leather seats in the newest three were exceedingly nice.

Perhaps rough is a bit strong, it is comfortable but it's certainly not wafty! It has the aero suspension and painted on rubber wheels so just a bit less compliant than I would have liked, sticks like unmentionable stuff on a blanket though on a smooth road though. Despite having more power than the xantia I find I have to drive it slower on rougher roads as it gets bumped around more. I do enjoy the SAAB but I miss having an LHM Citroen!
1999 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 Estate
2001 Citroen Xantia 2.0 HDi 110 LX
1999 Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi 90
1983 T25 VW camper
1994 Mini 1275 35th Anniversary Edition - sold
2007 C8 2.0 HDi 136 Exclusive - sold
Previous AXs
1987 11RE
1987 11TRE
1995 Dimension
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

I had a Saab 93 before my C5 x7. Wasn't to bad mostly, and as you say, sticks to the road like brown stuff to a blanket. Quick too, decent gearbox, comfy seats but I couldn't get to like the dash. A bit too busy for me, and the handbrake used to nip my
fingers when released!
Rick.

qprdude

Post by qprdude »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 03 Apr 2019, 20:39 Rick, I've put a newer procedure up here:

Went to have a look at a BSI reset today Marc. It's not possible to get at the negative terminal without stripping air inlet, fuse box positive terminal and removing battery. There must be a way but I can't find it. The terminal is hidden at the back of the battery , behind the fuse box and under a bit of bodywork.
Rick.

qprdude

Post by qprdude »

The latest.
The nav/radio unit was removed for investigation. The main processor is kaput. New one ordered from France. So far £1148 to remove unit find fault, order new unit, fit new unit and recode the chassis number.
I think this may have tipped the balance as far as citroens go.
I know any modern car can have electronic problems but some people can get a perfectly decent second hand car for the price of my sat nav repair.
Rick.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Rick, did you do all that just to part ex for the other vehicle? I would of just got a second hand one of the bay and VIN coded it with Diagbox. A bit late now, but would of suggested it earlier if I had an idea of your intention. Sorry to hear about the cost!

Marc