C5 hydraulic tank exploded

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: C5 hydraulic tank exploded

Post by Mandrake »

Surely this is a major design flaw if the reservoir can explode due to innocently jacking up the car without setting the suspension to maximum ?

No prior Citroen's suffered from this problem. Makes me glad I don't have a C5... :roll:
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

A completely different system on the X7, even from the MK I & MK II C5s. There are no front strut return pipes on the X7 like on the earlier models, fluid is returned via the front rigidity accumulator. So a lot of fluid under intense pressure potentially being forced back through this unit to the tank under the weight of the car if dropped down uncontrolled.

Even the modified vented LDS cap released as a replacement part, is insufficient to allow this amount of pressure to be released. A completely backward approach, agreed.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

When I had four new tyres fitted a couple of months ago I just loosened the cap myself and tightened it up afterwards. Saves a lot of hassle if things go wrong.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
crapday69
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 eHDi VTR+NAV

Post by crapday69 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 13 Mar 2019, 19:23 A completely different system on the X7, even from the MK I & MK II C5s.

Apart from the aforementioned problems, is this a better system than the old.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well, to be honest, I believe not.

The newer X7 struts, as 8 mentioned earlier, not only have no leak back pipes on the struts, but the struts themselves are bonded rubber to metal. So any weeping or fluid is going to come from the top of the bonded boot, requiring the whole strut to be replaced.

On the earlier MK I & II C5s, the strut has a significant number of replacement parts seals and the like that can be replaced. With these newer ones there are NO spare parts, the whole thing has to be replaced.

I’ve never had a strut replaced ever, until the X7 where I recently had to have a front one replaced at a cost of £400 (that’s getting the strut cheaper from Poland) and fitting at main dealer.

Having said all that, the newer system has an additional sphere ( 2 rigidity spheres at the rear, 1 at the front, so 7 in all) over the 6 spheres on Hydractive 3+ on earlier systems. But with 4 spheres at the rear, you still need a bit of weight in the rear to get a really damped ride at the rear as you are riding on 4spheres in non-sport mode.

Marc
crapday69
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 eHDi VTR+NAV

Post by crapday69 »

I had to get a front strut replaced on my Xantia years ago. Tony over at Citroen services (now Cam Autos) in Rutherglen, Glasgow. He took a good one from a scrap Xantia, but after doing mine, he said he will never try that agin and just quote with new ones. I take it, it must have been a b++***d to get off without damaging it.

Anyone used Cam Autos incorporating Citroen services. I always found him very reasonable. A lot cheaper than a main dealer but a little more expensive than a local garage, but with years of Citroen experience I think its well worth it.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 13 Mar 2019, 19:23 A completely different system on the X7, even from the MK I & MK II C5s. There are no front strut return pipes on the X7 like on the earlier models, fluid is returned via the front rigidity accumulator. So a lot of fluid under intense pressure potentially being forced back through this unit to the tank under the weight of the car if dropped down uncontrolled.

Even the modified vented LDS cap released as a replacement part, is insufficient to allow this amount of pressure to be released. A completely backward approach, agreed.
I'm obviously missing vital bits of information re this unwanted reservoir compression phenomenon - is it limited to struts without leak-off pipes (which my car does have) or does it just mean there's further risk to other components (ie front rigidity accumlator)?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The cause of this problem is very simple. The LDS pump is incapable of priming itself. This means that (when it is first set up, and (later) when the system is de-pressurised) it has to be under pressure for the pump to get the LDS fluid moving around. The only way to do this is to pump a little air into the reservoir (about 0.5BAR) to get the pump working, and then it will work (even with the reservoir cap loosened).

The LHM system was far better, as it was not a pressurised system (in fact there was a breather pipe to allow for the changes of LHM fluid in the reservoir), so there was a far lower chance of the reservoir failing under load.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Given that the pump needs this priming pressure (what a crass arrangement), surely to goodness it would have been possible to design a pressure cap that would permit the necessary 0.5bar pressurisation, but would allow a large and sudden volume of air to promptly escape, if the car was dropped back on to its wheels. Quite simple stuff, I would have thought . . . like a light spring on a diaphragm or plastic ball.
Chris
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The cap has a very simple design. There is just a diaphragm in the top, that will let air in but not out.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

MikeT wrote: 14 Mar 2019, 11:52
GiveMeABreak wrote: 13 Mar 2019, 19:23 A completely different system on the X7, even from the MK I & MK II C5s. There are no front strut return pipes on the X7 like on the earlier models, fluid is returned via the front rigidity accumulator. So a lot of fluid under intense pressure potentially being forced back through this unit to the tank under the weight of the car if dropped down uncontrolled.

I'm obviously missing vital bits of information re this unwanted reservoir compression phenomenon - is it limited to struts without leak-off pipes (which my car does have) or does it just mean there's further risk to other components (ie front rigidity accumlator)?
This has nothing to do with the initial pressurisation / priming of the tank James. Mike is asking about the LDS tank explosion phenomenon (correct me if I'm wrong Mike).

The problem on the X7 Hydractive 3+ system and the tank issue is thus: (and I'm not including all the other technical interactions that happen).

Assume car is set on NORMAL driving position.
As the car would normally travel on the road, the strut pistons move according to the amount of pressure in the cylinder. As the car rises and falls normally, fluid is drawn from the LDS tank, and expelled as the car rises and falls over dips and bumps.

Now when the car is raised to the mid high or high positions using the electronic control, the LDS return to the integrated hydraulic block reservoir is blocked by the exhaust electrovalves. So on normal suspension, the exhaust electrovalves will be locked to the normal height setting. So if you raise the car on a post , wheels hanging, fluid is drawn into the system as it would if if you went over a hump in the road as the car lifts off - or in this case under the weight of the wheels pulling the pistons down. The weight of the wheels pull the pistons to their maximum travel.

So as the exhaust electrovalves are not set to keep the car at maximum height, when the car is often lowered back to the ground (very quickly in some cases), the pistons are forced back very quickly and all that excess LDS fluid is forced back under pressure of the car weight, back through the valves and into the tank.

If you were instead, to raise the car to high position first, then the exhaust valves would be locked into position at the highest height setting thus preventing all that fluid returning back to the tank, maintaining the car at the highest height level. So this would allow a controlled return to normal position when the manual control is set back to Normal.

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

My post was to explain that, if Citroen had not used a system that needed the pump to be primed for it to work, the reservoir would be able to 'breathe' and so a rapid change in fluid levels/pressures would not result in the reservoir splitting.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If the LDS tank was airtight it would not allow fluid to flow from and then back to the tank.

It is completely different in that this system does not require the pump to be constantly operating - it can quite happily maintain the pressure and fluid in the system until it needs to make a large compensation or correction. The extensive use of intake and exhaust electrovalves maintain and control the pressure very efficiently - the issue arises when the system cannot take account of an intervention (not so much in being lifted off the ground), but when being returned under extreme pressure when it cannot control the return of the fluid.

Consider also that when the car is on a lift, it is highly likely the BSI will have gone to sleep after a few minutes as the doors will be shut. So that also means the suspension ECU is asleep and the E Valves set at the last known height setting. They cannot adjust if the system is asleep.

Is it ideal? Probably not for Joe Public after a lack of communication - but Citroen wanted to simplify the system as 'worry free', 'reliable', 'maintenance free' to sell it. But now we are aware we can take preventative measures. Not that it will be a worry for Citroen any more of course.....

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The problem is that the reservoir can 'breathe' in, but (due to the simple valve in the cap) it cannot 'breathe' out again. I never said it was airtight, and I did say that (once the pump had been primed) the LDS system would work with the cap loosened.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Sorry, but that is the reason why there was a modified cap containing a valve James - to allow excess pressure to escape. The problem is, that in the case of rapid and extreme pressurised fluid return, the valve is insufficient to cope, so causes the tank to explode.

Marc