Painting and Polishing

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Painting and Polishing

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Another case of Clearcoat peel and paint fade

Is it inevitable once it starts?
nf own work
nf own work
REgards Neil

Timmo

Post by Timmo »

Not a lot that will stop it sadly!

white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Untold thousands of cars here in Spain suffer lacquer bubbling and peel from UV/sunlight (as well as yellowed headlights).
Most metallics seem to rely on a clear topcoat.
Annoyingly, it has become standard practice on many flat colours too, because (I guess) it enables factory - and repairers - not to have to bother to achieve a finished gloss with the colour coat.
Fortunately, XM's Polar White is lacquer-less, and any repair work has been kept that way.

Stickyfinger
Donor 2016

Post by Stickyfinger »

3m Trizact Pads on a DA sander are your friends with that Micra....a new clear coat is also needed. IT MUST DRY for 48 hrs BEFORE a new clear coat...DO NOT WET Sand....summer is good but try to spray when cool/not outside.

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Thanks Alasdair,

Ah. Just deciphered the DA Sander..................Dual Action sander of course....bit of oscillation as well spin/ straight line abrasing.

So whats lying around the house already-one of those triangular shaped things, which you can get triangular shaped abrasive "papers" from Aldi/Lidl for next to nowt which attach in a velcro like manner to the sole of the sander. Has a bit of oscillation about it I think. Yes thats the tool I was thinking of to attack the micra with should I feel the need.

I presume the 3m Trizact Pads would make short work of the rough clearcoat. Nothing is currently peeling all the paint/clearcoat defects are solidly attached to the metalwork underneath. Not sure if it was a factory paint defect for that particular car, or some other cause, but it isnt like that mercedes bonnet at all. I guess when I get out with my little lidl sander I may find it well and truly isnt up to the job :-D

REgards Neil