Energy Matters Global and Domestic

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Energy Matters Global and Domestic

Post by CitroJim »

bobins wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 13:57 On a related tangent, I remember a documentary about 'global dimming'. All the pollution we've chucked up into the atmosphere is actually helping to filter out (and reflect back out into space) some of the sun's energy and helps to keep the global temperature down a gnats. If we cleaned up the atmosphere, then the temperature could go up. #-o
As Bart Simpson was reputed to have said... You're dammed if you do and dammed if you don't...

Proves the old adage... For every action there's a reaction...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I guess even hydro electricity may have some downsides, but still plenty of water flowing over Niagara long after Tesla and Westinghouse tapped it for its energy back in 1895.
Of the mix of energy products on offer in the 21st century, give me less oil and natural gas and coal, and more wind solar, tidal and hydro, geothermal, ground source and air source heat pumps, and a big yes in our collective back yard for uk industries to develop on the back of the change.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I predict that in the future the UK will return to coal when all the rest become less useful.

There is reckoned to be enough coal under the UK to supply all our energy needs for 300 years.

I think they will find ways of using coal in a cleaner way, digging it out without the need to send miners underground and dealing with the CO2 disposal.

But not in my lifetime. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 28 Oct 2020, 17:55 ]

Of the mix of energy products on offer in the 21st century, give me less oil and natural gas and coal, and more wind solar, tidal and hydro, geothermal, ground source and air source heat pumps, and a big yes in our collective back yard for uk industries to develop on the back of the change.

Regards Neil
Not sure about ground source as that would still be depleting the planet's potential energy. We don't have an idea of the 'downwind effect' of turbines but I think the effort should be on energy which comes into our ecosystem, eg solar or stellar or maybe radiation we havn't identified yet. At least that way we have a chance of living without depleting our own resources and the more efficient we can become at recycling that energy the healthier future our planet will have. :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

State With No Electricity Orders Everyone To Drive Cars That Run On Electricity
1603933600782.png
SACRAMENTO, CA—Gavin Newsom, governor of the state with the highest people-to-electricity ratio in the nation, banned gasoline cars yesterday via executive order. The order takes effect in 2035, meaning by that time, everyone in the state with no electricity will only be able to plug in their cars to the power grid that does not work.

"Everyone, plug-in those cars!" Newsom said proudly in a room lit only by candlelight, since, you know, the whole electricity thing. "Other states run on backward, outdated fossil fuels. We are the state of the future, so we will run solely on electricity. Which, you know, we're working on. We could have power by 2035. You never know."

There was an awkward silence.

"SCIENCE!" Newsom said, regaining his momentum and drawing applause from the reporters gathered.

By the year 2035, the move is expected to completely eliminate all gasoline car carbon emissions, smog, and California residents.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 09:31 I predict that in the future the UK will return to coal when all the rest become less useful.

There is reckoned to be enough coal under the UK to supply all our energy needs for 300 years.

Maggie may have done us a favour in 1984 then :wink: She effectively preserved the remaining stocks of coal for use long into the future but I guess she did not see that at the time :) Or did what she did for that reason...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

From a resonably respected source Tony Seba and associates
100% Solar, Wind, and Batteries is Just the Beginning

"It is both physically possible and economically affordable to meet 100% of electricity demand with the combination of solar, wind, and batteries (SWB) by 2030 across the entire continental United States as well as the overwhelming majority of other populated regions of the world."
It is happening, even the prospect of "over supply".

Us humans do seem to be programmed into a frenzy of consumption. Discover a wonderful abundance of something
whether that be coal/oil/whales/herrings/cheap electricity and we will find ways of consuming more, (although admittedly, its some time since I ate my last herring, but at one time in the herring industry's heyday at Great Yarmouth you could walk across the river on the Herring boats bringing home their bounty) .

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 10:44 It is happening, even the prospect of "over supply".

Us humans do seem to be programmed into a frenzy of consumption. Discover a wonderful abundance of something
whether that be coal/oil/whales/herrings/cheap electricity and we will find ways of consuming more, (although admittedly, its some time since I ate my last herring, but at one time in the herring industry's heyday at Great Yarmouth you could walk across the river on the Herring boats bringing home their bounty) .
I vividly recall this in Whitby. Mainly Dutch seine-netters.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Well according to the environmentalists the main problem with the planet is gross overpopulation with humans.

But when mother nature does something about it (covid etc) we all do our best to fight her off. :shock:
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

But it appears that Mother Nature has chosen her weaponry well. COVID19 appears to be 'forgettable' where the human immune system is concerned, in that our resistance rapidly drops over the course of a few months. This could mean that everybody will need to be vaccinated every six months or so.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 10:44
whether that be coal/oil/whales/herrings/cheap electricity and we will find ways of consuming more,

Regards Neil

The Jevons Paradox.....

In economics, the Jevons paradox occurs when technological progress or government policy increases the efficiency with which a resource is used (reducing the amount necessary for any one use), but the rate of consumption of that resource rises due to increasing demand. The Jevons paradox is perhaps the most widely known paradox in environmental economics. However, governments and environmentalists generally assume that efficiency gains will lower resource consumption, ignoring the possibility of the paradox arising.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jevons_paradox
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 13:07 But it appears that Mother Nature has chosen her weaponry well. COVID19 appears to be 'forgettable' where the human immune system is concerned, in that our resistance rapidly drops over the course of a few months.
......and that'll be the Gaia Theory in action :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 12:07 Well according to the environmentalists the main problem with the planet is gross overpopulation with humans.

A lot depends on which direction you come at the issue from. If you want the human race to continue for as long as possible as comfortably as possible, then yes, a slowing down of the population rate increase will greatly help in that respect. However, if you want the planet to flourish, then the quicker the human population expands to an unsustainable size and then conks out, the better. 8-[
The planet was happily ticking along for aeons before humans arrived, and will happily tick along once we've all shuffled off. :-D
NewcastleFalcon

One to research
What is Hornsea 1 :?:
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Worlds' largest offshore windfarm, about 100 miles off the coast off the Yorkshire coast;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornsea_Wind_Farm
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!