Energy Matters Global and Domestic

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Energy Matters Global and Domestic

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Tony Seba has some interesting things to say, as he looks into his crystal ball of disruptive technologies, and business models. Mind if you watch his full video he has a slide up on Dyson making electric cars, which didnt quite work out, but maybe Dyson's re focus on batteries could prove more lucrative in the end.

From a global and domestic point of view, we are heading for the age of the battery particularly its role in managing demand and supply of energy from the electricity grid. Yes I think it would be a good idea if the UK developed a battery industry, both making and recycling and not just for electric vehicles.

This is not a clickable link just a screenshot. How could I possibly recommend a 1 hour 55 minute powerpoint presentation in a less than animated style, when so far I have only managed 38 minutes myself. :-D Easy enough to find, and medals deserved if anyone sits through it all.
screenshot
screenshot
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 23 Feb 2020, 11:17 From a global and domestic point of view, we are heading for the age of the battery particularly its role in managing demand and supply of energy from the electricity grid. Yes I think it would be a good idea if the UK developed a battery industry, both making and recycling and not just for electric vehicles.
..and evidence of that and a big revenue generator for TESLA.......

Humongous Tesla Battery Plant Approved In California Is 10× Bigger Than World’s Biggest Battery Plant

Not batteries for electric vehicles but a Grid-Scale Energy Storage Facility in Monterey.

"The joint project between Tesla and PG&E to build a facility to store wind and solar power was unanimously approved by the Monterey County Planning Commission. Tesla will install a Megapack to store wind and solar power. This stored energy will be available for use during periods of high energy demand and lower output."

Anything like that happening in the UK? If its not it soon will be, and the Solar and Wind criticism of "Only making electricity when the wind blows or the sun shines" starts to become irrelevant, and the reliance on firing up gas power stations to meet peak demands starts to fade away.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

and in Hertfordshire News!

The UK had a 50 MW lithium ion grid-battery installed in Hertfordshire in 2018.

Mick the Maverick's shed perhaps :-D

https://britishrenewables.com/bsr-epc-c ... acilities/

Who Knew!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

I've been fortunate so far Gibbo. Have a free charger nearby that with my charging from 20% to 80%, on a 24kWh leaf rarely takes over 2 hours. Got a couple of external sockets at home to charge up slowly with a plug, "granny charger as they are known. Even that would take only 7 ish hours to go from 20-80%. Rejected so far getting a charging station at home which at best would mimic charging times at the public charger. As with all these Grant funded things the OLEV £500 grant towards it, (only if installed by someone "on the list"), inevitably turns into an extra few hundred pounds. If the grant was £200, installations would be £500!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Following the link in that Shell mail there is this, https://newmotion.com/en_GB/shell-energy/ , I think it's only for Shell energy customers, is it too good to be true?

I'm a Shell energy customer and although I don't yet have an electric car I might just go for it. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 09:47 Following the link in that Shell mail there is this, https://newmotion.com/en_GB/shell-energy/ , I think it's only for Shell energy customers, is it too good to be true?

I'm a Shell energy customer and although I don't yet have an electric car I might just go for it. :-D
I think that's about the going rate gibbo so they are offering £299, (They get the OLEV Grant of £500). What is not included is "modifications to the fuse box" as they describe it. What tends to be needed is a dedicated circuit with appropriately sized cabling/protection to take the current. That's where the potential for "installer BS" comes in, and a bit of upselling of upgrading to your existing electrical installation.

No doubt most domestic installations will not comply with the lastest 18th Edition of the Wiring Regs, unless they have been completely renewed in the last year or so. Not that they retrospectively have to of course, but that wont stop some installers from lobbing on additional extra work.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

A couple of comments posted by Chris here which are relevant to this thread.
c.morewood wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 14:13 This is possible due to the fact that I have solar PV and batteries....
.....I have a really good electricity tariff Agile from Octopus energy which means I can charge at about 5p/kWh during the winter. (again referral available if required £50 credit to switch and no tie in period the best provider I have ever been with)

As we have an air source heat pump,(also interest free loan) we are all electric and the year is really divided up into summer and winter using the most of the sun with the solar PV and thermal to minimise electrical cost.
We are now using about 5600Kw a year which is costing us about £700 (and about £80 for gas cooking) as far as I can project.

Last time we used that amount in a year was 2016 when we had 2 teenagers at home it cost us then £1180.
That does not take into account the Octopus referrals and the RHI and income from the PV.

I hope this is informative
Chris
c.morewood wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 19:28 I feel good about having generated my own electricity for the journey ( about 50% of the time).
Its not really the PV thats the important thing its the batteries. If you have 10 or 11 kw of bttery storage you can run a house on the Octopus Agile tarriff ( you really should look that up) it averaged 10p kWh over a day but outside 1630 -1930 I have seen prices of -5p to 9p kWh yes! they pay you on windy days or nights to use the electric. Most people are being charge 14-20p kWh. Imagine the savings over a year 15p down to 5p thats two thirds of your bill off, or about £400-500 a year if you're using 6-7000 kw a year.

I've got salt water batteries, great for the environment and you can't damage them by discharge. 10.8 kWh for £6000 although I picked them up when they were a bit cheaper and called Aquion.
It was a case of what I wanted to do after retirement and i wanted a house which would run itsself and i could guarantee it wasn't going to cost me a fortune after all the initial capital cost and a lot of that was aided by the aforementioned interest free loans from the Scottish goverment, its amazing whats out there and the help you can get.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

There is always energy news around, but Sweden are possibly the first to go for a steelworks utilising hydrogen albeit in a trial to assess the feasibility.

The EU have a Hydrogen Strategy published in July this year part of which sees Hydrogen playing an important part in decarbonising steel making in the EU.

Swedish steel maker Ovako’s trial at its Hofors steel mill, in conjunction with hydrogen producer Linde Gas, showed that H2 had no affect on the quality of steel.

How green is your hydrogen :?: Well before it all turns green which may be some time off, a bit of grey then a bit of blue may be necessary.
The Annex to the EU's draft Strategy soon to be published covers the different classifications they use for Hydrogen

Green Hydrogen is from Renewable Resources
Grey Hydrogen is Hydrogen produced from Fossil Fules without Carbon Capture
Blue Hydrogen is Hydrogen produced from Fossil Fuels with Carbon Capture
Spoiler: show
temp6.jpg
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Whatsthisthen?

I am guessing that this may well be a heat pump
Heat Pump?
Heat Pump?
the back gubbins
the back gubbins
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 19 Sep 2020, 18:25 Whatsthisthen?

I am guessing that this may well be a heat pump

ImageImage

Regards Neil
Well it is a Heat Pump and currently heat pumps and better insulation standards for new homes are the future, and gas/oil boilers are the past. That particular one CTC is Swedish.

Anyone got a Heat Pump yet?

This chap has....in the South of Scotland

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I saw a write up that Duracell are offering a battery storage set up for domestic solar panels, thought I'd inquire.

Asked on their website for where my nearest supplier was, got a phone call back from them, discussed the details, they suggest just short of four grand supplied and fitted.

That will make energy generated in the day useable at night so less bought from the grid but to sell the surplus back to the grid I would have to change to their pet company for all my energy supplies.

The guy then said if I wanted to order they would want a 25% deposit up front, I told him I don't do deposits, he says they can't do it without. :lol: but he'll ask the question. Heard no more from them.

So they don't trust me to complete the deal but they want me to give a grand up front to someone I've never had any dealings with and don't know from Adam.
NewcastleFalcon

I think the "pet" energy supplier of a fair few EV owners I have talked to is "Octopus". If they are too successful of course the shareholders will be given an offer they can't refuse and be eaten up by one of the Sharks :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 13:46 I think the "pet" energy supplier of a fair few EV owners I have talked to is "Octopus". If they are too successful of course the shareholders will be given an offer they can't refuse and be eaten up by one of the Sharks :-D

REgards Neil
That could be an interesting 'fight' as octopi have genuinely worked out how to kill sharks. As most sharks do not swim bladders they have to keep moving to get oxygenated water across their gills (even when they are 'sleeping'). In one major aquarium they had a very large tank that had, amongst other denizens of the deep, sharks and octopi. What caused the staff some concern was that they started finding dead sharks when they came in each morning. The octopus had worked out how to catch, kill and then eat sharks;

https://roaring.earth/shark-vs-giant-octopus/
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 14:47
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 13:46 I think the "pet" energy supplier of a fair few EV owners I have talked to is "Octopus". If they are too successful of course the shareholders will be given an offer they can't refuse and be eaten up by one of the Sharks :-D

REgards Neil
That could be an interesting 'fight' as octopi have genuinely worked out how to kill sharks. As most sharks do not swim bladders they have to keep moving to get oxygenated water across their gills (even when they are 'sleeping'). In one major aquarium they had a very large tank that had, amongst other denizens of the deep, sharks and octopi. What caused the staff some concern was that they started finding dead sharks when they came in each morning. The octopus had worked out how to catch, kill and then eat sharks;

https://roaring.earth/shark-vs-giant-octopus/
James, that's utterly fascinating :D Thanks for sharing!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...