On your Bike

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: On your Bike

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

The cafe cropped up on a random image gallery of A Lambretta Club of Great Britain Coast to Coast Rally 2018 I came across in a Lambretta half hour after seeing a few yesterday and posting them up on POTD and the Classics thread.

viewtopic.php?p=695650#p695650

As well as the scooters, Lambretta is a "brand" so as you might expect has a range of merch and is also into e-bikes.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

An EV with a Biological Range extender, as pointed out by one of the commenters on this article
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën AX XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Post by Skull »

That sounds excellent =D> .....
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
NewcastleFalcon

Having fun on their e-bikes North Uist<br />Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing Series 4 Episode 1
Having fun on their e-bikes North Uist
Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing Series 4 Episode 1
Pauls bike looks like one of these

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Any of you managed to catch the Tour of Britain as its passed by? I was working with Sustrans in penzance for the opening weekend doing Dr Bike checks and adding some dry humour to the day! 😁
IMG_20210904_080044.jpg
Team Cav parked right behind our gazebo, obviously for a bit of local knowledge... 😬
Team cav
Team cav
IMG_20210905_094752.jpg
IMG_20210905_094734.jpg
IMG_20210905_095443.jpg
Was a bit slow on the reactions as just wondered out the back of the gazebo, Cav on his way to the start!
Cav
Cav
View from our spot, - the bike us deliberately badly put together for an activity with the you guns whilst their bikes are being looked at! 🤪
View
View
Great weekend, Saturday was very quiet till4pm, then manic for the last hour, we were the last to pack down out of the stalls, Sunday was a lot better, great buz when the teams started arriving, appears they all followed in convoy from where they stayed over night, Unfortunately, the local team, Saint Piran haven't been able to perform with the bigger teams as hoped, but a valiant effort none the less!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
NewcastleFalcon

It came through our region yesterday from Carlisle to Finish at the Angel of the North.

Of course just to make it difficult the route took them down to Ullswater and then over Hartside pass to Alston...it would have been quicker and less hilly from Carlisle to Gateshead just going along the A69 via Hexham :-D
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My son has taken my car to Loch Lomond and complained at slow progress due to thousands of cyclists, probably that lot.

The irony being that he is going downhill racing.
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Went out with the club for a ride this morning, stupidly decided to 'ride to a ride' as often try, 8 miles from home to the start, then an xc loop by one of our resident Nutters! 🤪 Appeared very much to be an anticlockwise version of this
Impossible_staircase.svg.png
Was great to see all the guys and girls again, 16 of us today, great to hear the ride banter too! Got home to find the phone didn't track it to much annoyance, but watch had, think the altitude side has gone a little wonky though claiming over 8k ft of up and down! 🤯😁

'58 C2 Code
NewcastleFalcon

This article is about a bike show Eurobike 2021 in Friedrichshafen, Germany and electrek's take on the 20 most interesting electric bikes at the show.

What caught my eye though was a description which made the distinction between electric bikes, and other bikes.

So what collective term do you use to describe "un-electric" bikes, push bikes, pedal bikes....

Simple you have electric bikes and you have acoustic bikes :-D

thus was the phrase that caught my eye.
While 2019 saw closer to an even mix between electric and acoustic bikes, Eurobike 2021 was absolutely the year of the e-bike as electrically-powered two-wheelers dominated the show.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Been having trouble with the rear (disc) brake on my MTB - no retardation and squealing like a stuck pig as soon as you pull it on. Net search threw up that it was likely that the O ring between the two halves of the caliper was leaking, and indeed on inspection the frame around the caliper was damp, with dust stuck in the oil. So ordered up some O rings (e-bay, not available from Shimano!) and a bleed kit, and set to today to split the caliper and change the O ring. Not too hard, although the Torx bolts holding the caliper together were very shallow, and a real challenge to get enough purchase to get them out. It looks to me like the salt has got in and corroded one of the caliper faces, so not sure if it will work or not. However, what amused me was the the fluid is mineral oil - this is dyed a gentle pink shade, but I'm pretty sure LHM would be just as good :rofl2: Will see how it goes but if it's still leaking I may get a stone and try and hone the sealing face, or just put some gasket sealant on it, otherwise it's a new caliper, not a disaster, you can get them for £30.
Richard W
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

RichardW wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 18:20 Been having trouble with the rear (disc) brake on my MTB - no retardation and squealing like a stuck pig as soon as you pull it on. Net search threw up that it was likely that the O ring between the two halves of the caliper was leaking, and indeed on inspection the frame around the caliper was damp, with dust stuck in the oil. So ordered up some O rings (e-bay, not available from Shimano!) and a bleed kit, and set to today to split the caliper and change the O ring. Not too hard, although the Torx bolts holding the caliper together were very shallow, and a real challenge to get enough purchase to get them out. It looks to me like the salt has got in and corroded one of the caliper faces, so not sure if it will work or not. However, what amused me was the the fluid is mineral oil - this is dyed a gentle pink shade, but I'm pretty sure LHM would be just as good :rofl2: Will see how it goes but if it's still leaking I may get a stone and try and hone the sealing face, or just put some gasket sealant on it, otherwise it's a new caliper, not a disaster, you can get them for £30.
'i'm sure they all do that Sir' :-D

i find it easier to go out and buy a new bike......
Orbea Wild FS M20.jpg
Orbea Wild FS M20, very nearly £10 for each year on this mortal coil.
Bosch CX4, Fox 38's, DT Swiss wheels, Shimano 1x 12, Carbon frame, Ally swingarm.
colour matching tube strap and water bottle carrier now fitted
the Whyte Hardtail will be used for group rides, the Orbea for solo longer rides.
rode it on the group ride just 'cus! for one time only, 90% no assistance, Eco for the last Mile or so, Strava then told me it was harder than my usual efforts :lol:
2.8 tyres and a 3.6kg battery plus the motor will do that...
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
NewcastleFalcon

$5,995

When people buy stuff they don't always do total cost of ownership calculations. You can buy electric bikes which are cheaper than this...

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Looks good Old'uns!! Not ready for an e-bike yet here...

Today I investigated the bottom bracket on the road bike, started creaking so was going to try and grease it, but once apart it was apparent that it was not easy (or even possible perhaps) then when putting it back together the plastic sleeve wouldn't stay put in the bearing, a gentle tap with a socket resulted in it basically exploding...
IMG_20210927_124335686.jpg
So new BB on order, plus the tool to fit it, as this is a type I've not had before. Then I looked at the chain ring, the big one has been unhappy under high load since I fitted the new chain, and with it off it was obvious that it is heavily worn...
IMG_20210927_123534802.jpg
Ah.... trying to source a new one, but a) they are £75 and b) seem to be out of stock everywhere in silver / 50 tooth!
Richard W
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

A lot of us in the trade use lhm on all mineral systems, under true warranty terms you should always use the specified fluids - shimano mineral fluid is Red, magura 'Royal blood' is blue, clarks uses green, tektro uses red, is on e of the first things askednow when a warranty issue occurs,
Shimano stopped making spare parts best part 10 years back in favour of fair pricing on replacement units, more to do with not needing a giant warehouse to stock all the spare parts for all the different things they made. With each new model redesign would require a new supply of spares every couple of years, and old ones sitting gathering dust on the shelves. Same for stockists!
Sadly, current supply issues are not going to ease up for bike parts until late '22 at the moment, a lot of parts have been pushed back to March '23 delivery estimates! Distributors have started managing controlled shipments to buyers, the big shops could afford to buy high bulk numbers effectively clearing out the stock with in one hit, so now each shop is allocated a percentage of the Normal order quantity over the past years, one of the distributors had a container land with over 10k Sram drivetrain items, none would hit the b2b website as they were all pre-ordered and barely scraped the surface of the back orders! Utterly crazy situation to be In,

'58 C2 Code
NewcastleFalcon

Should any of you cycling chaps ever do the Pennine Cycleway following NCN68 from Derby to Berwick Upon Tweed, you may pass by Etal in Northumberland on this little section. Gorgeous little village and a River of Brown Ale today :-D
Of course back in May 2020 to amuse ourselves from our armchairs, Mickthemaverick and myself in the main filled 39 pages of a thread with completion of the Pennine Cycleway on our Virtual Bikes with a few joiners in along the way. I'd say that thread gives as much info and enjoyment as any blog account made by anyone doing it for real. Product of some active imaginations, and you will not find a better story of the Pennine Cycleway journey anywhere on the entire world wide web.
Pennine Cycleway North Northumberland
Pennine Cycleway North Northumberland
River of Brown Ale
River of Brown Ale
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey