On your Bike

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Re: On your Bike

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

DPD use similar vehicles in Newbury (at least, that is where I have seen them).

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Anyone fancy investing in a nice little combination :?:

Story link here.

Regards Neil

Peter.N.
Donor 2020

Post by Peter.N. »

I remember when the AA men had those and used to salute you. The red one is nice as is the dog.

Peter

Dormouse
Donor 2021

Post by Dormouse »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
03 May 2021, 10:17
Anyone fancy investing in a nice little combination :?:

Story link here.

Regards Neil
the chair is on the wrong side but I would use one locally. Especially if it could carry my golf clubs.

Dormouse
Donor 2021

Post by Dormouse »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 08:24
I used to deliver grocery orders on a saturday with the small front wheel/big basket version of this. The shop was on the high street near the shore and everywhere else was uphill! Those were the days! Getting back was a dawdle. There was one short hill where you couldn't cycle up and you had to push it. Hated those orders with a passion but one of the ladies on that round always tipped thruppence and a drink of milk or American Cream Soda. Figure out when that was then!

Dormouse
Donor 2021

Post by Dormouse »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 11:04
A lot of the big companies are very much developing last mile vehicles.

This is an interesting video, a decent run through of its features, plenty interesting elements (flax fibre composite body, special tyres etc , and an airfield somewhere in the UK, and no doubt an enterprising start up.

Bit more than a cargo bike but an interesting development. I enjoyed finding out about it and did the 20 minutes or so. A lot of these vids are a bit wordy, but I was interested enough in the story to listen.

Regards Neil
4 hub motors and a big battery and you have a good cargo Quad. Can't wait for the Ice Cream version of this 60 year old "invention" though trikes were more common back then

Gibbo2286
Donor 2020

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Peter.N. wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 10:42
I had a friend in my youth that used to deliver for the butchers on a bike similar to that - it did have a saddle though. :shock:

Peter
In my first job when I left school I collected spares for the workshop from all around Birmingham on a Gundle errand bike.

Interesting with a Ford 10 van petrol tank and a huge Wolseley flywheel. :)
https://bicyclz.com/gundle-trade-bikes- ... rmingham/

Dormouse
Donor 2021

Post by Dormouse »

Gibbo2286 wrote:
03 May 2021, 11:44
Peter.N. wrote:
29 Apr 2021, 10:42
I had a friend in my youth that used to deliver for the butchers on a bike similar to that - it did have a saddle though. :shock:

Peter
In my first job when I left school I collected spares for the workshop from all around Birmingham on a Gundle errand bike.

Interesting with a Ford 10 van petrol tank and a huge Wolseley flywheel. :)
https://bicyclz.com/gundle-trade-bikes- ... rmingham/
That looks like my beast. Built like a tank! Often rode it down the steps of a short cut vennel. Couldn't kill it and boy did I try sometimes.

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Big up the UK Bike Industry :-D

Electric Bikes
Designed in Lancashire and tested over the hills and roads of Northern England.

Ribble Cycles appeared in the Electrek news for this.

Ribble’s newly unveiled Endurance SL e Hero has an impressive weigh-in of 10.5 kg
Ribble achieves that lightweight design with a combination of the minimalist Mahle EBM X35 motor and e-bike system as well as an ultra lightweight carbon fibre frame. The carbon fibre doesn’t end there though – it continues into the handlebar, stem, and wheels as well.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

10.5Kg is getting seriously light for an e-bike but still on the weighty side for us featherweights!

Development of e-bikes is happening very rapidly, just as it seems to be the case with e-car developments...

An e-bike is not for me at this time but if/when I become unable to ride long distances at reasonable pace on a non-e-bike then I'll be first in the queue to get one...

The good thing is they are keeping those cyclists who otherwise couldn't riding strongly and that can only be a good thing :)