On your Bike

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: On your Bike

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 07:59 Neil, that's a magic bike :)

Not at all sure what a mercury vapour tubes in in the context of radio... The only mercury vapour tubes (valves) I know of are mercury vapour rectifiers but they were never used in small domestic radio, only in high power transmitters... Smaller ones, known as 'Tungar Rectifiers', were used in some battery chargers but I never knew of them being used in a small radio...

I must do some research ;) Thanks for giving my brain something to do today!
Jim, I have put a bit of info up on your "radio's and audio thread" link here

viewtopic.php?p=669758#p669758

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 10:21
CitroJim wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 07:59 Neil, that's a magic bike :)

Not at all sure what a mercury vapour tubes in in the context of radio... The only mercury vapour tubes (valves) I know of are mercury vapour rectifiers but they were never used in small domestic radio, only in high power transmitters... Smaller ones, known as 'Tungar Rectifiers', were used in some battery chargers but I never knew of them being used in a small radio...

I must do some research ;) Thanks for giving my brain something to do today!
Jim, I have put a bit of info up on your "radio's and audio thread" link here

viewtopic.php?p=669758#p669758

REgards Neil

Excellent :D Thanks Neil!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

morning all, how did we all fare over the festive period?? did you get any good miles in?? did you get any cycle related gifts??
been an odd one down here, A lot fo people milling about, Los of mud everywhere! and a slight chill, managed a couple of rides of the usual local loops, as ever, Really must try a little harder this year to up the milage!!!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I did very few bike miles over the festive period Timmo... I did ride once on Christmas Day and did a couple of virtual Zwift rides but that was all as I've been so busy doing work on Daffodil...

I got a good cycling related book for Christmas, Ned Doulting's Tales from the Tour :) Not started it yet, I'm just finishing a book called 'From Spain to Norway on a Bike called Reggie' by Andrew P. Sykes. His account of riding from the southernmost point in Europe to the most northern.... It's a great read :)

I did run every day and now on Day 112 of my run streak and nearly 43 miles into my virtual LEJOG which started on the 1st January :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Timmo wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 07:23 morning all, how did we all fare over the festive period?? did you get any good miles in?? did you get any cycle related gifts??
been an odd one down here, A lot fo people milling about, Los of mud everywhere! and a slight chill, managed a couple of rides of the usual local loops, as ever, Really must try a little harder this year to up the milage!!!
Load the thread up with a few more of those Cornwall blue sky pictures Timmo when you start getting out and about on the bikes.

Over on the electric vehicles thread I put up a piece about how the Scottish Govt are bending over backwards to encourage switch to electric. This is the bit about e-bikes. Cant find an equivalent scheme being offered elsewhere in the UK.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 28 Dec 2020, 15:40 The interest free electric vehicle loan is funded by Transport Scotland and can help you purchase a new electric bike
loans of up to £6,000 are available to Scottish residents to cover the cost of up to two new ebikes, a new family cargo or ecargo bike or an adaptive bike or ebike
I would have thought if you live in Scotland and are thinking about having an electric bike, now is the right time to take the plunge. I hardly think the incentives are going to become more generous.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Wow! Go the Scottish government! £6k sounds a lot in the bike world, but really doesn't go too far! Had a go on an electric cargo bike some years ago, made by Arrow in think it was, Cracking bit of kit, mildly under braked though! 😁😮 There is a lot of logic in one, I could do most of my running around and weekly grocery shop with one, hell, I used to do it with an old bike I cobbled together and the girls sit in trailer when they were too big, - took some effort to get going mind!
I'm the bike trade emails that float around, a couple of shops have started putting inplace ebike charging stations for commuters, free to use! Great idea personally, would certainly promote your store over others!

No bikes in this but a new years eve beach walk with the wife girls and hound!
IMG_20201231_131922.jpg

'58 C2 Code
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

Planned to between Xmas and NY but too much snow and ice plus temps of 2-3c not tempting 🤔
Maintenance time... these pads went in mid Oct 😀
Rear wheel / rotor /caliper issues, hopefully now sorted and tubeless now - well assuming they're still up when I get back later...
Attachments
Now I know what the squealing was...
Now I know what the squealing was...
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

That's some good work there oldun! Do you ride a lot of Gritty paths by chance? I'd look to put a set of 'sintered' pads in there, much better suited to UK winters 😀

'58 C2 Code
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Been a bit too cold and snowy to get out much... Did go out and try the MTB in the snow, a surprising amount of grip!
IMG_20201229_115825451.jpg
Went out with the boys a couple of days later, and did some bike sledging, amazingly you can ride up and down slopes you can barely walk on!
IMG_20210101_124713487.jpg
IMG_20210101_125459846.jpg
Richard W
NewcastleFalcon

Excellent Pictures Richard....Idyllic with the snow. sun, and clear blue skies gorgeous.....yes and a nice bit of shadow work too :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

Timmo wrote: 04 Jan 2021, 12:12 That's some good work there oldun! Do you ride a lot of Gritty paths by chance? I'd look to put a set of 'sintered' pads in there, much better suited to UK winters 😀
Grit, mud, sand... the Chase has the lot 😀
They were sintered....
Problem appears to be after I changed wheels, had to use the adaptors supplied as mine is QR dropouts. For whatever reason the disc mating face on the Mavic is 3-4mm inboard and not enough adjustment on the caliper mounting.
Cut the centre from an old rotor to space out and appears to be OK.
Tyres are still inflated so some good news 👍
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

For sintered that Extremely good going!
Impressed with the work around, I've had to space calipers over before, but a lot of newer bikes have post mount rear brakes, somewhat limits movement,
Well done with the tubeless, makes a significant difference to rolling resistance and rotational weights, and for my part being a Little heavy... I can run Normal pressures! 😅😅

'58 C2 Code
quintet
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2.0 hdi Peugeot 307

Post by quintet »

I got back on my bike in order to get to work after my car broke down again this morning, not the sort of bike journey i appreciate.
Music keeps me going.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

A nice story on the BBC website about a couple converting people's pushbikes to electric for them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55533981
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

I've an eccentric lady I'm the village that covered an old steel Raleigh step through with a Chinese ebike kit! Hub motor so powerful it stretched out the fork drop outs! Things bloomin Lethal! She spend a year riding around with the e-brake levers not fitted so the motor didn't know to cut out! 😵 She had a motor go on another if her bikes, was a genuine ebike this time, she got another kit and spliced it into the original after a chat about it, dropped it in for a service, unrestricted kit! Was hitting just under 45kmh up hill still accelerating with all 100+kg of me on it on a test ride! 😱😱 She also has one of these - https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/pedicab-europe.html
The main drive goes to a freewheel on the middle point with another on the other end that transfers to the rear motor, she had spun the cogs off in reverse, based on a motorbike, I popped down to have a look at it and diagnose the problem, was a bit of a shock when she opened the door to her home build garage type thing, was told 'it's a trike',

'58 C2 Code