Garages Gallery-Ancient and Modern

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Garages Gallery-Ancient and Modern

Post by Peter.N. »

Yep, that's how I remember them. The north coast of Scotland looks very much like that now.

Peter
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It was a lot cheaper than that when I started driving.
cheao fuel.png
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I spotted a Citroen DS on this chap's drive. As a matter of courtesy I popped round to his garage at the back to ask his permission to take a few pictures. Never mind a "Barn-Find" this was a Garage-find, and all in perfect working order.
Had a lovely conversation and I am full of admiration for the reconstruction from the original box of bits he bought it as. If you cant do it yourself, you find people who can. He got four diffs remanufactured and sold the other three. All the aluminium body panels were made from the sheet metal. It was originally a 1937 car.

Nice Garage
This was a box of bits,  totally rebuilt and up on the top of Hartside this morning.
This was a box of bits, totally rebuilt and up on the top of Hartside this morning.
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
MattBLancs
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2.2 HDi Exclusive 173 6speed (daily family practical wagon),
Peugeot 406 Coupe SE 2.0 137 5speed (& originally auto), (former daily off the road for some TLC)
Peugeot 206 GTi-HDi 1.6 110 5speed (my wife's daily)
Peugeot 306 HDi Dturbo 2.0 90 5speed (long term project to reinstate inner wings, former daily. Too sentimental to let it go!)

Post by MattBLancs »

That's fantastic, would love a project like that some day.

I wonder how it'll go on for getting road legal - if that's planned in I suppose. Could end up a Q plate I guess unless you could find enough evidence (in a box of bits!!) to prove the age. In fairness if I'd had the joy of creating that back out of next to nothing, I'm not sure I'd care too much about it having an age related plate. :)
NewcastleFalcon

MattBLancs wrote: 27 May 2023, 20:50 That's fantastic, would love a project like that some day.

I wonder how it'll go on for getting road legal - if that's planned in I suppose. Could end up a Q plate I guess unless you could find enough evidence (in a box of bits!!) to prove the age. In fairness if I'd had the joy of creating that back out of next to nothing, I'm not sure I'd care too much about it having an age related plate. :)
It is road legal Matt, and has a reg number, and for X day it is appropriately KXS nnn. As well as doing the heritage track stuff down at Goodwood etc he does several road rallies including "the Flying Scotsman".

I'll put up what it is shortly as it was some unlikely course of events which led me to coming across that, and having the conversation I did today!

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Steve's post here reminded me of this. I like a garage with a petrol hose over the pavement!
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 12 May 2016, 23:27
There was a Shell Garage in our village which was bang on the pavement of the "High Street" so the tubes went over the top of the pavement so pedestrians could walk underneath, and used to dangle down and be tied up at the roadside.

The very garage....probably in the 1930's, although the tubes were still dangling in the 60's when I was walking past!

and another dangler from France
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 08:54 Came across this fairly ordinary French garage while reading round the E10 fuel debate. I do like the fuel hoses over the pavement arrangement. The page translates pretty well in my browser.

https://sortiedegrange.com/quel-carbura ... -ancienne/
Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 24 Jul 2023, 18:30, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

They used to be very common in the villages around Whitby, not in the town though where the garages/petrol stations were more developed.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

We had one in Olney until quite recently. I'm sure I've posted a picture of it... Can't readily check as I'm currently away from home and posting using a small phone...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024
My Cars: C8 2.2 Hdi Exclusive

Post by Rp0thejester »

:rofl2: :rofl2: small phone or just can't see what your typing?? There was a place in Highgate that had the over reaching fuel lines, I think it's gone now unfortunately
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Rp0thejester wrote: 24 Jul 2023, 20:19 :rofl2: :rofl2: small phone or just can't see what your typing??
Both... And in addition I don't know what I'm doing anyway :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Useful in an A to Z, fuel station spotting game, and rarer than the Q8 brand (say it out loud Kuwait).
FaLcon Original<br />In the pretty mundane but  small interest in the Brand Name category
FaLcon Original
In the pretty mundane but small interest in the Brand Name category
A useful reminder too, to potential new posters of the existence of the "Garages Gallery Ancient and Modern Thread".
Pretty easy to contribute to I think, and plenty of interest in its previous pages...remember it does include the domestic garage too although not all will have the same sort of interesting content as this one...

Falcon Original 27th May 2023

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I remember Q8 well from yonks ago but have not seen any in ages... Good to know they're still going...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 10:51 I remember Q8 well from yonks ago but have not seen any in ages... Good to know they're still going...
Q8 no longer have a presence in he UK in the Filling station business, selling off their stations to Pace Petroleum. Of course 100 points on offer for a contradiction with a Q8 branded forecourt photograph, with their logo which I didn't realise until today was a representation of a Dow. Still in the filling station Business in Europe I believe.

Q8, Diddenuewenerstrooss, Hesper-101
Jwh at Wikipedia Luxembourg, CC BY-SA 3.0 LU <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by ... lu/deed.en>, via Wikimedia Commons

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

An old Garage we saw coming out of St. Maws in Cornwall complete with a rainbow...
20231022_102014.jpg
It still has a British Leyland sign on it!
20231022_102019.jpg
And some old petrol pumps...
20231022_100739.jpg
Also in St. Maws
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 23 Oct 2023, 05:25 And some old petrol pumps...

Also in St. Maws
and the suggestion has become a reality...well done! Looks like the AA Village sign and the pumps have seen better days! and it looks like the AA sign has gone :-D
It has gone!
It has gone!
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 30 Sep 2020, 10:14 I see St Mawes in Cornwall is on your route Mick. St Mawes has appeared on the FCF on POTD Petrol Pump Day in 2016 Worth a snap out the window as you cruise along the seafront! It was there in 2016 when google street view passed by, cant confirm its still there.
clicks three FCF thread boxes
Garages Gallery-Ancient and Modern
and
I Spy AA Village Signs
and of course
Nice places to stop off at
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey