Fuel additive level too low error

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mancunian
My Cars: Citroën C4 Grand Picasso II - 1.6 BlueHDI

Re: Fuel additive level too low error

Post by Mancunian »

So the 970 ml capacity of. Diagbox is fake (just to make us refill more often).

When I told Citroen my car needed a refill their answer was we do not refill. We remove the tank and fit a new tank that come already filled. We never refill additive fluids.

If that's true and is Citroen policy....is so inefficient for customer and unfriendly to the environment....
Mancunian

Post by Mancunian »

But then as long as you add 1 litre, it doesn't matter if it is not completely full this is because the diagbox is telling me is full when 970 ml had been poured in. So 1 litre is slightly more should be enough unless mechanic is super clumsy. Agree?
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024
My Cars: C8 2.2 Hdi Exclusive

Post by Rp0thejester »

My C8 took over 2 and half litres to fill, so out of the 3 litre top up I used there was excess. I would say that if fluid isn't escaping, add more
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
Mancunian

Post by Mancunian »

According to my numbers C4 uses 4 ml of additive every 60 litres of diesel. Therefore with 1 litre will be used after 15000 litres of diesel. My car consumes 6 litres of diesel every 100 km so will do 250000 km every litre of additive. (That's 155k miles!)

1 litre is enough and the control system will alert me once the litre is consumed. So will add more in.... 10 years time lol

I will add 1 litre but thanks for all opinions
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No that's not true, the additive system is designed to be topped up - so that's just not true - that's like saying once you run out of petrol you need to have a new tank fitted - so whether they haven't gone on the proper training course and nobody knows how to do it - how embarrassing and totally incompetent if that is what they have told you.

Worth reporting that to Head Office and I'd be interested to see what they say about that.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Mancunian

Post by Mancunian »

That's what he said and it was Cristal clear he was not getting confused with the bag as he told me the part number of the refill tank that my car is fitted with.

So yeah embarrassing. I can see though Citroen motivation as I imagine lots of money is made as that part will be sold with a margin in Citroen garages at the expense of loyal customer that prefer to go to the Citroen garage happy to pay more than local garage because of the quality of the service. Abuse.

I may report it, I just need to find the way to get some hard evidence.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well it's not that difficult to be honest - why if that was the case do Citroen sell the top up fluid (Powerflex, Extend, etc. in various 1 or 3 litre containers or in the case of the pouch system complete new pouches? Why would there own technical information detail how to top it up?

PSA have been topping up DPF additive tanks for the last 23 years at least on the DPF equipped vehicles.....

Time to change the dealer they're obviously incompetent and don't deserve to have the Franchise. They need reporting in my book.

The actual additive fluid level check is part of the scheduled service at 64k miles then every 16k miles. Provide the VIN here and I'll show you the extract for your vehicle (please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff).

The only thing I can think of is that if you have a pouch based system, then obviously they will not refill the pouch as these are designed to have a new pouch put into the housing, but for reservoir systems it would not be logical, as the new tanks are only supplied empty and have to be filled up in aftersales! :roll:

Stress! :hb:

Marc
Mancunian

Post by Mancunian »

Thanks for your reply.

They wouldn't own any information on how to top up. However you know many people go to dealership even if cheaper elsewhere. But I see your point, it looks like topping up is standard practice. Then I agree, it might have been a misunderstanding or an incompetent dealership.

Thanks yeah would be very interesting to see the extract for my vehicle, here is the VIN:
VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Thanks!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Dealers do have the information readily available to them as franchised dealerships. They have to go on extensive and expensive training courses to qualify on systems and technical procedures and readily have access to service documentation and procedures in every dealership. I have much the same info that they do.

Here's the summary and I've highlighted the check:

Click Image to Zoom
service sched.PNG

Marc
Mancunian

Post by Mancunian »

Thanks for your messages.

I have now booked on Wednesday a top up of my additive tank in my local garage.

They warned me thought saying that I should have replaced the DPF!! because in their experience is likely to fail soon after the additive level goes too low due to mileage. I told them the mileage and they confirmed it should be replaced

My car has 107000 miles. Any advice when DPD filter needs replacement?
More importantly, what is the healthy range of pressure differential across the filter? (It would be good to know the normal pressure differential for various engine rpm, so I can monitor with my diagnosis box if I am in healthy parameters and detect when not)

Thanks!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You are getting close as if you look at the servicing schedule it should be checked at 112k miles then every 16k miles. However we have seen vehicles going past this figure - it will depend on the type of road conditions. Lots of short journeys in traffic may reduce the life if the filter slightly, but they are designed to factor in average conditions.

In any case you could opt to have the DPF cleaned instead of replaced. There are places that do this now, but you will also need to tell the engine ECU that the DPF has been replaced if having it deep cleaned, otherwise it will not know and still flag you a warning when the Cerine deposits reach the amount in grammes that I talked about previously.

As for the monitoring, I can't see that helping too much as this level will fall and rise according to the particular time you undertake the test. Once he filter has regenerated the pressure will fall again and gradually build back up until it regenerates again.

Marc
Mancunian

Post by Mancunian »

I got the tanked topped up with PAT fluid and counter reset for 40£. I bought 1 litre and it tourn out there was a bit of left overs! 50 ml something like this.

Marc,

In terms of differential pressure monitoring, to be effective I agree the readings need to be compared in similar conditions E.g idle to idle or for equivalent rpm.

Cheers 🥂
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024
My Cars: C8 2.2 Hdi Exclusive

Post by Rp0thejester »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 16 Jul 2023, 22:34 You are getting close as if you look at the servicing schedule it should be checked at 112k miles then every 16k miles. However we have seen vehicles going past this figure - it will depend on the type of road conditions. Lots of short journeys in traffic may reduce the life if the filter slightly, but they are designed to factor in average conditions.

In any case you could opt to have the DPF cleaned instead of replaced. There are places that do this now, but you will also need to tell the engine ECU that the DPF has been replaced if having it deep cleaned, otherwise it will not know and still flag you a warning when the Cerine deposits reach the amount in grammes that I talked about previously.

As for the monitoring, I can't see that helping too much as this level will fall and rise according to the particular time you undertake the test. Once he filter has regenerated the pressure will fall again and gradually build back up until it regenerates again.
So from what I can deduce from that is....get diagbox and remove EML before MOT.....
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
Mancunian

Post by Mancunian »

The garage did that so I didn't have to use my diagbox
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Mancunian wrote: 28 Jul 2023, 21:59 I got the tanked topped up with PAT fluid and counter reset for 40£. I bought 1 litre and it tourn out there was a bit of left overs! 50 ml something like this.

Marc,

In terms of differential pressure monitoring, to be effective I agree the readings need to be compared in similar conditions E.g idle to idle or for equivalent rpm.

Cheers 🥂
That won't necessarily be effective either as there are other factors used by the system to determine when and what level of regeneration assistance is used, and the change in differential pressure also depends on the following parameters:
  • Fuel consumption (fuel with additive) (quantity of additive present in the filter)
  • Vehicle driving conditions (activation of post injection)
  • Exhaust gas temperature
  • Speed of the exhaust gases in the particle filter

Marc