How bad an idea is this? Pug 406 Coupe...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

User avatar
van ordinaire
Donor 2017
Posts: 2585
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 14:45
x 240

Re: How bad an idea is this? Pug 406 Coupe...

Post by van ordinaire »

Sorry, where's the fun it that? Still at least it has smidgen more character than a Corolla: the car we'd all buy - IF we were sensible.

User avatar
Zelandeth
Donor 2016
Posts: 3647
Joined: 17 Nov 2014, 00:36
x 358

Re: How bad an idea is this? Pug 406 Coupe...

Post by Zelandeth »

Haven't forgotten the Cherokee idea either...but I know roughly where I stand with them, 406 isn't a car I know intimately though, hence asking for ideas.

Having said that, this is me...so I'll probably end up going looking for a bright red 406 Coupe, momentarily get sidetracked by the shiny Ford Probe (yes, I know they're awful, but they do look like a space ship and have one of the loveliest exhaust burble at idle of any car), and end up buying a late 80s Proton 1.5GL...because I'm me, and let's face it...my automotive purchasing follows the plan about as often as the weather forecast is accurate.

User avatar
Michel
Posts: 1798
Joined: 29 May 2017, 13:50
x 347

Re: How bad an idea is this? Pug 406 Coupe...

Post by Michel »

van ordinaire wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 22:25
Sorry, where's the fun it that?


Cruising 4-up at 90mph to Nice in smoothness, quietness and climate controlled comfort while still doing 45+ mpg.

User avatar
Michel
Posts: 1798
Joined: 29 May 2017, 13:50
x 347

Re: How bad an idea is this? Pug 406 Coupe...

Post by Michel »

Zelandeth wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 23:20

...end up buying a late 80s Proton 1.5GL...


Oh come on Zel. Use your imagination. Buy a Hyundai Stellar or Pony if you're after far-Eastern tat.. or a Nissan Cedric!

Gibbo2286
Donor 2020
Posts: 4702
Joined: 08 Jun 2011, 18:04
x 834

Re: How bad an idea is this? Pug 406 Coupe...

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Michel wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 23:54
Zelandeth wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 23:20

...end up buying a late 80s Proton 1.5GL...


Oh come on Zel. Use your imagination. Buy a Hyundai Stellar or Pony if you're after far-Eastern tat.. or a Nissan Cedric!


I took a Hyundai Stellar px and used it for a runabout for nearly a year, it was over 100k miles black and horrible to look at but really gave good service, never missed a beat, economical and reasonably comfortable. Drive train was mostly Mitsubishi.

Current Hyundais are pretty good cars, my daughter and her husband in the States have one each and can only sing their praises.

User avatar
Michel
Posts: 1798
Joined: 29 May 2017, 13:50
x 347

Re: How bad an idea is this? Pug 406 Coupe...

Post by Michel »

Gibbo2286 wrote:
09 Oct 2018, 10:30
Michel wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 23:54
Zelandeth wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 23:20

...end up buying a late 80s Proton 1.5GL...


Oh come on Zel. Use your imagination. Buy a Hyundai Stellar or Pony if you're after far-Eastern tat.. or a Nissan Cedric!


I took a Hyundai Stellar px and used it for a runabout for nearly a year, it was over 100k miles black and horrible to look at but really gave good service, never missed a beat, economical and reasonably comfortable. Drive train was mostly Mitsubishi.

Current Hyundais are pretty good cars, my daughter and her husband in the States have one each and can only sing their praises.


Hyundais have always been decent cars, if a little dull. I'd happily have one. I was looking at a Santa Fe 06 plate before I bought the Skoda.

User avatar
van ordinaire
Donor 2017
Posts: 2585
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 14:45
x 240

Re: How bad an idea is this? Pug 406 Coupe...

Post by van ordinaire »

Michel wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 23:50
van ordinaire wrote:
08 Oct 2018, 22:25
Sorry, where's the fun it that?


Cruising 4-up at 90mph to Nice in smoothness, quietness and climate controlled comfort while still doing 45+ mpg.


Sorry, where's the fun it that?

User avatar
Zelandeth
Donor 2016
Posts: 3647
Joined: 17 Nov 2014, 00:36
x 358

Re: How bad an idea is this? Pug 406 Coupe...

Post by Zelandeth »

Had a brief run out in a friend's Lexus LS400 today...

Yep...that's now on the potential list for the future. Seriously huge amount of car for what they're changing hands for nowadays...

Stupidly comfy: check.
Unreasonably rapid: check.
Build quality that makes the thing feel as though it's been hewn from solid granite: check.
Something you don't see every day: check.
V8: Check.

Hmm...definitely one to consider.

Volvo 850R would be on the list too... though that's one that definitely would have to be a very particular spec. Got to be the one with the five pot engine, got to be that burnt metallic orange, black leather and the pale wood trim (only car I've ever seen wood that was so pale in colour). Biggest problem though would be finding one that's not utterly clapped out.

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 42155
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1238

Re: How bad an idea is this? Pug 406 Coupe...

Post by CitroJim »

Oh dear Zel, you're really heading for the dark side on a slippery slope now :twisted: :lol:

User avatar
Paul-R
Donor 2020
Posts: 4153
Joined: 07 May 2009, 16:24
x 426

Re: How bad an idea is this? Pug 406 Coupe...

Post by Paul-R »

Yes, neither of those would be cars, or even marques, that I would ever entertain.

User avatar
van ordinaire
Donor 2017
Posts: 2585
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 14:45
x 240

Re: How bad an idea is this? Pug 406 Coupe...

Post by van ordinaire »

The Volvo is the very antithesis of the marque - a sort of "antiVolvo" so very appealing but the Lexus is just well made dross, much like a M-B - but with even less character & NO class or style!

In those stakes it'd have to be a T5 (if I wanted a stupidly fast hearse - memories of the BootHill Express linger on) or an XJ380 Supercharger - just something about a blown AND injected V8 Jag that makes me come over all unnecessary.

b-t-w, saw an off-road prepared pre-facelift Cherokee last night - on the M25!

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 42155
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1238

Re: How bad an idea is this? Pug 406 Coupe...

Post by CitroJim »

van ordinaire wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 22:33
The Volvo is the very antithesis of the marque - a sort of "antiVolvo" so very appealing but the Lexus is just well made dross, much like a M-B - but with even less character & NO class or style!


Van, please don't sit on the fence - you'll get splinters in your bum! Go on, be frank and say what you really think with no holds barred :lol: :lol:

User avatar
van ordinaire
Donor 2017
Posts: 2585
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 14:45
x 240

Re: How bad an idea is this? Pug 406 Coupe...

Post by van ordinaire »

:rofl2:

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
Posts: 10719
Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
x 1057

Re: How bad an idea is this? Pug 406 Coupe...

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

CitroJim wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 05:55
van ordinaire wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 22:33
The Volvo is the very antithesis of the marque - a sort of "antiVolvo" so very appealing but the Lexus is just well made dross, much like a M-B - but with even less character & NO class or style!


Van, please don't sit on the fence - you'll get splinters in your bum! Go on, be frank and say what you really think with no holds barred :lol: :lol:

It would be even worse if it were a picket fence!

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 42155
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1238

Re: How bad an idea is this? Pug 406 Coupe...

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 23:14
CitroJim wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 05:55
van ordinaire wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 22:33
The Volvo is the very antithesis of the marque - a sort of "antiVolvo" so very appealing but the Lexus is just well made dross, much like a M-B - but with even less character & NO class or style!


Van, please don't sit on the fence - you'll get splinters in your bum! Go on, be frank and say what you really think with no holds barred :lol: :lol:

It would be even worse if it were a picket fence!


:rofl2: :rofl2: