The Chug Chug Vroom Vroom Chug Chug - the V6 Blues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Paulxmski
My Cars:

The Chug Chug Vroom Vroom Chug Chug - the V6 Blues

Post by Paulxmski »

Hi,
the saga continues with the XMV6 I have noticed that the chugging phenomenon is not present on startup it cuts in after half a minute or so. On Sunday afternoon I sprayed a lot of WD40 in the engine compartment and then coming home late at night it started cutting out so much that the only way I could keep going was to switch off the ignition while still moving and switch back on again whereupon it would pick up and drive ok for a mile or so then cut out and back into lowspeed chugging mode. If I can't track the problem down then it is going to be undriveable. I believe that switching off the engine whilst moving can be disasterous in terms of the steering and hp. Any ideas please!!!!
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Pop the bonnet in the dark and examine the HT leads for a leaky spark. I've seen the PRV V6 motor play up in Volvos with the same symptoms - the associated light show in the dark showed that the leads were well past their best.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If nothing visible by Arry's suggestion - the spark may still arc over in the plug caps.
This can be prevented by cleaning the caps first in petrol - then in alcohol (yes - 2 cleaning stages needed !) - then let dry - and spray/brush with silicone - NOT WD40 !!!
Let the rubber soak the silicone - then wipe off excess.
Paulxmski
My Cars:

Post by Paulxmski »

Hi,
Thanks arry_b and AndersDK I will try that,and regale you with new sagas in due course no doubt.
pugsy
My Cars:

Post by pugsy »

I had the same problem with a 505 v6 which uses the same engine and the rotor arm caused it on mine
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

it may actualy be the ECU dropping into Linp home made because of a faulty sensor. its worth checking to see if there are any error codes showing on the ecu's memory.
Andy
Paulxmski
My Cars:

Post by Paulxmski »

Thanks Andy, pugsy,
according to Russek the engine management light should come on if a permanent fault is recorded, on the other hand my engine management light flashes all the time when the ignition is switched on but the engine is not started. This occurs with both my V6s' it goes out when started. When the Gunson is plugged in it flashes all the time also even when switched off so I haven't been able to get any codes off the ECU.
The distributor looks like new, but I must dismantle it and look closely!!
I will keep on searching. I will find it eventually!!
julian2002

Post by julian2002 »

i had a similar problem with my 406 v6 coupe a while ago. whilst accelerating the engien / revs would cut out sporadicly (a bit like hitting the rev limiter only at 2000 rpm). my local pug garage fixed it by replacing a bunch of engine sensors even though the ecu logs showed no problems with them (i had to drive an engineer round to prove it happened). good luck.
cheers
julian