Whenever I come here all I see are C5 questions. Are they terrible, popular, or both?!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Whenever I come here all I see are C5 questions. Are they terrible, popular, or both?!

Post by Peter.N. »

That's why I run 406's, no DPF and very few more other bits than the XUD - apart from the electronics, unless you get water in them, that's what wrote off my first one, but otherwise they seem to go on almost forever.

Peter
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Re: Whenever I come here all I see are C5 questions. Are they terrible, popular, or both?!

Post by EDC5 »

Really interesting post there Marc showing the changes between the B and C variants of the DW10. It appears to me that a lot more engineering went in to complying with regs than increasing performance which seems to have been the main change between the A and B variants.

I understand the pessimism that White Exec shows when it comes to the ICE but it's not dead yet. New generations of 2.0 diesel engines from Volvo and Jaguar are making 100 more horsepower than standard diesel engines 10 years ago (240 vs 140 PS), which I think is amazing. Whilst EGR has been an unmitigated disaster in every possible sense the AdBlue system seems to have the potential to replace it, providing people could be persuaded to top up their AdBlue more (Having the filler somewhere accessible would be a good start PSA!)

The X7 is my third car and truthfully has been a pleasure to own. Whilst I've only had to change a strut, there is evidence that a new steering rack and BSM have been replaced at some point in the past which I would not expect to have to change on a modern car.

Underneath the X7is based on a 407, so it should be fairly reliable.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Peter.N. wrote: 31 Aug 2018, 20:13 That's why I run 406's, no DPF and very few more other bits than the XUD - apart from the electronics, unless you get water in them, that's what wrote off my first one, but otherwise they seem to go on almost forever.

Peter

I would flatten a 406 with the gear I carry. I can raise my towbars at front and back to attach or release. On high I can run rough ground.
This boat is ready to be charged into the water and then brakes slammed on for it to slide of and shoot itself afloat.
Attachments
IMG_0308.JPG
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I would agree the hydropneumatic's are without doubt ideal for towing but the 407 weighs about the same and uses the same running gear, having owned and driven both the 406 gets my vote for reliability and handling, at least over the 2.0. the 2.2 rides much better, I've had both.

Peter