Xado experiment ( driving without oil )

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Xado experiment ( driving without oil )

Post by white exec »

Reading that MSDS sheet, it's essentially just a mineral oil "with additive" (unspecified).
Will therefore do what most mineral oils do, and likely no more.

Does remind me of some of the dodgier diesel fuel additives that were marketed some years ago, whose MSDS sheets revealed very little, but independent analysis showed them to contain nothing much except . . . . . . . diesel fuel!

Snake oil indeed, and highly profitable.
Chris
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

MSDS sheets only have to disclose harmful chemicals in a mixture, therefore some things are not listed as they don't have to be. A good example of this is those 'spare tyre in a can' things, their MSDS lists a few things which add up to a few percent, the vast majority of the volume is taken up with liquid latex, but, as this isn't harmful, it is simply omitted.

I wouldn't go so far as to say these products were fake or anything. I would expect them to be predominantly mineral oil, just with a few percent more 'additives' than would be contained in a normal motor oil.

Check out this youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2rzsm ... -wuOg_p0Ng

The bloke does lots of wear tests with different additives and oils.

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Its amazing how long an engine will run with no oil if driven gently, if you thrash it seizure is inevitable but driven very carefully so that the oil left on the moving surfaces stays there it can run for miles.

I had a Granada estate fitted with a Perkins 4/108 engine many years ago on which the high pressure oil feed failed, I drove it gently from London back to here, well over 150 miles, repaired the failed oil pipe and drove it for many more miles.

Peter