Marc's X7, Rants, Raves & Everything Else

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Re: Marc's X7, Rants, Raves & Everything Else

Post by xantia_v6 »

Paul-R wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 13:32
Is there really so much alloy wheel theft nowadays to justify the fitment of any locking wheel bolts? I replaced them with standard bolts on both our 308 and X7 shortly after they joined our household.
About 2 years ago, in our town in France, a team of (believed Eastern European) criminals came into town, and in one night removed about 20 sets of alloy wheels from parked cars around the town. They did not seem to discriminate on the class of car or wheel. Fortunately my cars were garaged at the time.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's interesting and also confirms what I've been hearing about in UK towns and cities, a few examples here:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/m ... s-16178627

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

I should add that on that same night, our friends also lost the 4 wheel trims from their bases-spec Renault Clio with steel wheels, so the thieves had broad tastes. The Clio was parked where I normally park the XM (which had new tyres at the time), so I was quite lucky.

ksanturion10

Post by ksanturion10 »

xantia_v6 wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 19:05
a team of (believed Eastern European) criminals
Come onnnn, here is the cradle of the European civilization... :-D

Gibbo2286
Donor 2020

Post by Gibbo2286 »

GiveMeABreak wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 19:58
That's interesting and also confirms what I've been hearing about in UK towns and cities, a few examples here:

There was a spate of cars targeted in the Sutton Coldfield area this month with one set of wheels worth £5.5k taken off a BMW X6.

I've never paid that much for a whole car. :-D

Michel
Donor 2020

Post by Michel »

Gibbo2286 wrote:
13 Oct 2020, 09:40
GiveMeABreak wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 19:58

There was a spate of cars targeted in the Sutton Coldfield area this month with one set of wheels worth £5.5k taken off a BMW X6.

I've never paid that much for a whole car. :-D
You and me both Eric! 🤣

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well a bit of a surprise today. We had the C3 in for its 2 year service (time based due to low miles), had all the filters replaced and it turns out a mouse had got up inside the air intake pipe and made a nest inside the air filter housing.

Our mechanic showed us the heap of chewed plastic bags and other crud it had brought in as well as the gnarled filter.

The mouse had obviously put his pad up for rent as he’d legged it by all accounts.

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, here is another example of somebody removing alloy wheels;

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/lon ... d=msedgntp

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

A sad day for me on what will be the last main post by me on this particular thread as I have just sold my C5 X7. :-({|=

Sad because 'The Golden Hornet' was the last Hydropneumatic / Hydractive suspension model made by Citroen and the last I will probably ever own. Although I have driven oodles of other vehicles and makes, every single one of my personal vehicles has been a Hydraulic Citroen since I was 17.

It has been a stressful 2 weeks since advertising my car, having to deal with not only the scammers, but also the odd nit-picker that wears you down over a small stone chip where the mud guard is fitted. I normally part-exchange my vehicles as I can't be bothered with the hassle that goes with selling a car, but knowing all the warranty and very recent work that has been done on my car, I was not prepared to accept some derisory automated offers that are invariably well-out.

So I was very pleased to be able to sell it to a young enthusiast in London, who made the 500+ mile round trip to Wales today to buy her. Everyone in the party who got in the car all emitted a collective "wow" and the rest is now history. I still have the occasional mild panic attack when I look outside and see my old car gone!

So now begins the long wait to find something slightly smaller that meets our needs now, rather than the big cruiser that just wasn't getting the miles. After that, it will be time for 'The Silver Hornet' to move on too.

mickthemaverick
Donor 2019

Post by mickthemaverick »

:cry: :-({|= :cry: :-({|= :cry:

white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

End of an era, Marc, but also farewell to the irritations of the X7, all of which you had to master. Not Citroen's finest hour.