Berlingo Brake Lights Not Working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tex Rickard
My Cars: Citroen Berlingo

Re: Berlingo Brake Lights Not Working

Post by Tex Rickard »

Quick Update.

Left the van well alone all week as it was driving me mad. Had a look this morning, I now know the switch is good and pin 1 should have a permanent 12v feed (with ignition on) that flows through to pin 2 when the plunger is depressed. PIn 1 is dead, I took out all fuses in Engine bay and Glove Box, I tested all fuses with a meter and all were good, I then back probed pin 1 and checked all the fuse holders for continuity and got nothing, so assumed there must be a break in the wire from switch to fuse, for some reason probably frustration, I decided check the "fuse box" on top of the battery, and found that there is a grey 8 pin connector on top of the battery and the wire from pin 1 went here. But...................there is no voltage at the wire, so gents can anyone enlighten me as to what this battery fuse cover does, or rather should do because I have feeling my wire shouldn't be there and someone has run it here for an unknown reason. Along with the grey connector block, there is a metal plate which has 4 threaded bolts with 10mm? nuts on them, what appears to be different coloured fuses? and then the same 4 threaded bolts with nuts on the otherside, one has a blue cable running from it.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

That's the correct location - see my post a few days ago. Is there a cover on the front of the connector? Just looked on my C4 and once the top cover is off, there are a handful of fuses on the front of the connector. Can you post a pic of it?
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

This may be it... see the fuses in the centre.

Richard W
Tex Rickard

Post by Tex Rickard »

021.JPG
So looks like this is the problem. The wire goes into the top of the connector and the connector directly below has voltage, so a trip to the breakers to get that yellow bit that clips on and a couple of fuses and I should be good to go. Out of interest what does the other wire into that connector feed?
Tex Rickard

Post by Tex Rickard »

Still stuck.
Richard having re read your posts, I see you did say about the fuses on top of the battery but since there weren't any there. I assumed you meant the main box beside it, hindsights a great thing, makes sense now.

Now I have power to pin 1, always a but, but..........still no lights, I cant get the power to transfer to pin two through the switch, I can get lights by bridging the connector on pins 1 and 2 but not to work when pressing the plunger, so logically it must be the switch. But the switch bells out OK and worked when I tried it in my sons van. It's the same regardless whether I try the original one or the two new ones.
Any ideas? Am I missing something?
Bonham

Post by Bonham »

Hi!
Did you find what was caused the problem?
Hagrid
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: A late 60s Bedford CA Dormobile :@(
A 1984 Cavalier 1.6L estate :@(
A 1980 2L Luton Transit :@(
A 1991 2L Transit minibus :@(
A 1979 Volvo 245DL :@(
i want it back sob even tho it was orange
A 1997 1.6L Vectra :@(
A 2012 1.8D Transit Connect Tourneo :@(
Two M59 1.6L Berlingos :@(
A 2008 C4GP VTI+ 1.8L 7 seater :@) nice in silver
My next wish: either a B9 Berlingo or a Caddy

Post by Hagrid »

I may be wrong but I've been reading up on canbuses lately. It may be that the brake pedal switch has no direct connection to the brake lights at all, but instead sends a signal to the ECU, whivh then sends a signal via a different circuit to the brake lights.

If I'm right, both these connections will consist of four wires, ground and 12v, and two data lines. These are NOT simple power feeds from the pedal switch to the brake light. What you might have done when you swapped the wires is to feed the brake light from the ground and 12v lines by pure chance, but that won't solve the problem. Could be that the ECU is having a wobbly for some reason.
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Okay this is an old thread but if you look at the picture posted by Richard it shows a non molested set of fuses and engine fusebox.
Compare that picture with the one posted by Tex and you can clearly see additional wiring which should not be there and has probably been added as a work around to an issue with the main engine fusebox which is clearly visible on the right in the picture posted by Tex.
Hagrid's post is way above my pay grade electrics baffle me but when i had an issue with my old C4 2005 fusebox i had the brake pedal being pressed causing the engine to stall and the wipers to come on etc. and yes my engine fusebox had been molested before my ownership :)
Colin
Ismael Rangel
My Cars: PEUGEOT PARTNER TEPEE 2013

Post by Ismael Rangel »

Hello
I just bought a 2013 partner tepee/Berlingo, with no brake lights... :( the brake switch looks fine, i can't find the brake light fuse location, the vehicle didn't came with owners manual. Any help with the fuse location/diagram please.. Thank you

Update:
I already fixed the problem of the brake lights, it was the base where the bulb sits, it was separated, broken, which did not allow to make contact between the bulb and the base
Maca3398
My Cars: Berlingo 2nd generation

Post by Maca3398 »

Did you ever solve brake problem . Having same issue any update appreciated 😜
Maca3398

Post by Maca3398 »

Tex when bridged 1 and 3 the wiper and fan came on . Just earlier you asked what other wires leading to switch did . Still have working switches via tests but same as you .just seen diagram for under battery cover
3.resistance of brake pedal switch fuse 15A

Assignment
Charge Status Module – 5A
Diagnostic connector – 15A
Resistance of the brake pedal switches – 15A

Power steering electric pump group power – 80A
Pre-heating control module – 70A
Protection blocking module 3 relays – 100A

Simple motor protection relay – 30A
Doo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2000 Range Rover V8 4.0
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2
2007 Citroen C4 1.6hdi SX
2012 Berlingo Multispace e-hdi XTR (nice drive :-)
2016 Suzuki Burgman AN650 Executive
I miss my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo....

Post by Doo »

When I wired wife's C4 with a 7 pin tow bar socket (a temporary arrangement while waiting for a controller), I managed to confuse a wire and ended up with no tail lights. The BSI cut the power while the short circuit was in place. I tracked it dow to me picking a wrong wire (+ to - ) and I fixed it, disconnected the battery allowing the BSI to reset. Everything worked after that.

Another problem I've found in the past is poor connections due to water ingress or condensation. That's a pain to fix as it involves disconnecting the affected bulb holder and scraping the crud off. Another possible is as Ismael said, broken connection. However, as the OP was getting power when doing various things, that rules out broken connections, but it can get through grotty connections if applying direct power, although this can affect the BSI....
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
Maca3398

Post by Maca3398 »

Thanks for input Doo but 3 brake lights out . Had to clean holders in cars in the past and with lights working on same bulb assuming would rule this out . This switch sending signal to cpu makes sense and why Tex had a wire maybe to bypass and would have been good to know how he got on .Tried disconnecting battery to do checked all fuses etc and had van from new so no donkey wiring fix. Seemed to happen during freezing weather sure condensation played a part
Doo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2000 Range Rover V8 4.0
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2
2007 Citroen C4 1.6hdi SX
2012 Berlingo Multispace e-hdi XTR (nice drive :-)
2016 Suzuki Burgman AN650 Executive
I miss my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo....

Post by Doo »

Maca3398 wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 20:09 Thanks for input Doo but 3 brake lights out . Had to clean holders in cars in the past and with lights working on same bulb assuming would rule this out . This switch sending signal to cpu makes sense and why Tex had a wire maybe to bypass and would have been good to know how he got on .Tried disconnecting battery to do checked all fuses etc and had van from new so no donkey wiring fix. Seemed to happen during freezing weather sure condensation played a part
Have you checked the bulbs themselves? I've had occasion for a bulb to light up under direct application of 12v, but when placed back in the CanBus system, it just didn't want to know. There was a partial short on the bulb which affected the CanBus. They don't like jittery bulbs. The CanBus sends a small voltage around the circuit (5v I think) to see if it's in range. If not, it will shut down untill it's fixed. Sometimes not enough amps to blow the fuse, but enough to stop the system working.
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
Maca3398

Post by Maca3398 »

Can’t believe I checked fuses , switch etc before checking bulbs . Automatically assumed that chance of 3 bulbs going at same time well yes they did . What a Plonka I am