Self Drive Cars

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Self Drive Cars

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Out with Greek Philosophy and 13th Century Popes, University Challenge acknowledges Self-Driving Cars with this set of three Bonuses last night....
temp2.png
and the questions
In October 2020 Waymo launched the world's first driverless taxi service that is fully open to the public in which major US City and State Capital :?:
In addition to cameras and radar Waymo's autonomous vehicle uses lasers to detect objects in 3D space around them. The technology is known by what five-letter acronym :?:
An example of partial autonomy in driving the Autopilot feature of which US electric vehicle company appears in products including the Model S and Model X :?:
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Had to guess at the first, I have read about it but the city name escapes me, as do most things now.
The other two were easy enough, we have an unfair advantage though with all the discussions on the forum.
NewcastleFalcon

Whats this FSD like :?:

If anyone is leading in the game its TESLA, in its beta testing phase, and on to FSD 10.10, few things to fix...not quite there yet as of February 2022. Massive resources devoted to developing FSD. There must be an equally massive commercial reward for being first to provide and licence a workable system. I haven't worked out what it is, not a service I personally want or need or could afford or would be willing to pay for if I could.

If you fancy 9 minutes behind the FSD wheel, in a conveniently unbusy Downtown San Jose, on a "Downtown Stress Test" this is what its like...February 2022

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Remote control cars. Been around for ages. Little controller forward back left right, and a speed controller, maybe even all in one on a joystick. Penny's worth of software hardware and electronics.

Have you ever watched something like a TESLA or a Mercedes on a video demonstrating their "summoning" or "auto parking". Very unimpressive.

Now Mercedes have been demonstrating their auto valet park. Demonstration of an App of course, and if you thought the overhead projector, or the powerpoint presentation were the epitome of boringness, have a look at this walk through the Mercedes App for autovalet.

( (Vid not embeddable) link https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/ ... 5637_1.mp4 ).

As well as the car/the app the other part of the system is the sensors and associated hardware and software in the building itself to safely valet park your Merc. without you having to drive it yourself.

Not the same vid but youtube has this one which gives a demonstration...One of the comments
This is ideal. Before you get on your flight, activate this, then when you land you'll only have to wait another 4 hours for your car.

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 10:07
Have you ever watched something like a TESLA or a Mercedes on a video demonstrating their "summoning" or "auto parking". Very unimpressive.

Now Mercedes have been demonstrating their auto valet park. Demonstration of an App of course, and if you thought the overhead projector, or the powerpoint presentation were the epitome of boringness, have a look at this walk through the Mercedes App for autovalet.

( (Vid not embeddable) link https://electrek.co/wp-content/uploads/ ... 5637_1.mp4 ).

REgards Neil
That was the worst car video I've ever watched , especially as the whole thing has no doubt cost a fortune to produce and solves a problem that I've never had!! :roll: :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

I do not expect all the billions of investment put in by the leading players in self driving systems for automobiles is suddenly going to reach a conclusion which is anything other than the fully autonomous self driving automobile becoming a reality. It has already.

So its bound to be TESLA surely? or one of the traditional automakers catching up, or one of the global tech giants, or maybe an outfit you won't have heard about from China partnering with Toyota.

https://electrek.co/2022/04/25/pony-ai- ... -in-china/

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

There are one or two things you have to get over to give the content of this vid a fair airing.

1. The ads at the beginning and the end
2. Its presented by an American
3. Its wordy and he talks fast
4. Its all talk....no moving pictures to entertain
5. You may have a closed mind view on FSD and Robotaxis
6. Like me, the penny may not have dropped, as to why the financial rewards of FSD and Robotaxis , and closed loop in-house insurance and fleet ownership, are on a scale which simply dwarf the returns from making and selling cars into private ownership.

Worth watching the whole thing in a "just have a think" way. I've cut the waffle from the start which is a bit of a turn off. The video did assist in pointing as to why so much energy and investment is being put into FSD and Robotaxis, and not just by TESLA. A feature and a service for which I personally have no current need, but as Henry Ford never said as he pioneered with his car for the masses... “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” :-D

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Not really self-driving but... you'll see

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Self driving cars - it's the future !

This from the news in 1971. Just under 4 minutes long and worth watching just for some of the lovely old cars :)

Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Enjoyed that. Excellent find :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Previously...
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 09:57 Like me, the penny may not have dropped, as to why the financial rewards of FSD and Robotaxis , and closed loop in-house insurance and fleet ownership, are on a scale which simply dwarf the returns from making and selling cars into private ownership.

That is the raison d'être as to why so much energy and investment is being put into FSD and Robotaxis, and not just by TESLA. A feature and a service for which I personally have no current need, but as Henry Ford never said as he pioneered with his car for the masses... “If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” :-D
Moving in a strange world where a fair number of customers, in the millions drive around in Tesla cars, an expensive enough investment on its own right, Tesla have them hooked enough into the brand to sell add-ons of various enhancements to their driving experience through optional upgrades, and an add-on revenue stream for the company.

On the Full Self Driving (FSD) front there has been this recent announcement.

Tesla FSD 10.69 update rolls out with $15K price hike, but is it worth it?

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

An American I can listen to.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That 'yoke' on the Tesla has come in for a bit of criticism... Did Musk once have an Allegro? :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Now, Now, Jim. Nothing wrong with Allegros.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

^ Allegridly