Forums still dead ?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

User avatar
Paul-R
donor 2020
Posts: 3904
Joined: 07 May 2009, 16:24
x 373

Re: Forums still dead ?

Post by Paul-R »

Ah, WhatsApp. Almost my sole concession* to social media.

Been a user of that since the days when you had to pay 99c a year for the use of the service. Much better than texting (it's been described as texting on steroids) as it can take my verbosity and desire for correct punctuation and grammar. It's an easy way to send photos as well.

I was VERY suspicious of the takeover by FB and have turned down every request by FB to amalgamate information. So far they've kept to the founders' principle of not having any advertising. I do wonder what their business model is and how they make any money though.

*My other concession is LinkedIn. I registered for a specific purpose and have not added to my information there in all the years I've been a member. AFAICR it's basically just my name. Now that I'm retired it's arguable that I should probably delete my account there anyway.

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
Posts: 9809
Joined: 02 Apr 2005, 16:11
x 289

Re: Forums still dead ?

Post by Peter.N. »

My son uses Facebook and I must agree Jim that it is useful for local news but I don't have one of those new fangled phones, mine is only for talking on just as my camera only takes pictures. :?

Peter

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41632
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1079

Re: Forums still dead ?

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 10:13
My son uses Facebook and I must agree Jim that it is useful for local news but I don't have one of those new fangled phones, mine is only for talking on just as my camera only takes pictures. :?


Peter, you don't need a new-fangled Carlos Fandango smartphone for Facebook... It's also available on the web at www.facebook.com although arguably, like Strava and many others, the phone (Android or Apple) app. works better and has more features than the web site...

Facebook really is great for local stuff... I'm a member of the 'Newport Pagnell Chit-Chat' group and through it I get to know about much arcane local news and events... It's far better than our advert-ridden local rags to which I'm allergic anyway...

Something in the nasty oily printing inks they use...

User avatar
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 19524
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 1885

Re: Forums still dead ?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Can't understand the need for people to know what each other had for dinner, what their shoe sizes are and the other drivel - but I am glad that people have started to wake up to how their data is mined and used at long last.

I watched an article this morning from Rory Cellan Jones about his FB account and it seems that although he opened his account back in 2007 IIRC, it seems that every entry in his phonebook has been shared out, including some later phone numbers he just entered which are now available for all and sundry to see!

I hope this is a wake up call and that it encourages people to re-check their privacy options.

Although I use WhatsApp (owned by Facebook, I have it pretty well locked down) and that's it.

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon
Posts: 10234
Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
x 912

Re: Forums still dead ?

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That is one reason I am not a Facebook user.

User avatar
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 19524
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 1885

Re: Forums still dead ?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Paul-R wrote:
25 Mar 2018, 12:12
Wow, those certainly were "late night at the computer while drinking" posts. But they were in the right section surely?
Mad late night drunken ravings aside, RTOC (Renault Turbo Owners Club) and all the other rantings certainly don't belong in the Citroen technical forum. :)

User avatar
Michel
Posts: 1750
Joined: 29 May 2017, 13:50
x 327

Re: Forums still dead ?

Post by Michel »

GiveMeABreak wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 16:38
Can't understand the need for people to know what each other had for dinner, what their shoe sizes are and the other drivel - but I am glad that people have started to wake up to how their data is mined and used at long last.


I use facebook, but I've been well aware since the start that data is mined and used. That's why nothing about me that could be classed as useful has ever been accurate. My DOB for example, is actually the sort code of a long-closed bank account..

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41632
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1079

Re: Forums still dead ?

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 16:43
That is one reason I am not a Facebook user.


James, I'm quite frankly surprised you are not a Facebook user given your personality and nature of your posts on here...

As for privacy... I have a rule that all I post on-line either on here or on Facebook I'm happy for the whole world to see.

And I do have my Facebook (and Strava*) account very heavily locked-down - by as much as it possibly can be...

And never do I say what I've had for dinner :lol:

Oh, hold on...
Own Work
Own Work
Sorry, guilty as charged - that was an awesome dahl my daughter cooked us for lunch last week :D

* Strava is an athlete's social media platform where we upload and share our various (amongst others) running, swimming and cycling activities as recorded by our smart watches and smartphone apps whilst out training or competing. It allows us to measure and record our performance, gather lots of metrics and see how we're developing... It is a most valuable resource.

User avatar
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 19524
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 1885

Re: Forums still dead ?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Michel wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 16:52
GiveMeABreak wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 16:38
Can't understand the need for people to know what each other had for dinner, what their shoe sizes are and the other drivel - but I am glad that people have started to wake up to how their data is mined and used at long last.


I use facebook, but I've been well aware since the start that data is mined and used. That's why nothing about me that could be classed as useful has ever been accurate. My DOB for example, is actually the sort code of a long-closed bank account..
That's the way to do it Mike.

It's another reason why I fail to see how any person with half a brain cell could be influenced one way or the other in any election / referendum or similar based on this hooey.

I think it's an insult to suggest people can be influenced and that people don't know what they are voting for!

User avatar
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 19524
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 1885

Re: Forums still dead ?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

CitroJim wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 16:55
And never do I say what I've had for dinner :lol:

Oh, hold on...

dinner.jpg

Sorry, guilty as charged - that was an awesome dahl my daughter cooked us for lunch last week :D
Image
'Wot no Meat'?

User avatar
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
Posts: 19524
Joined: 15 Sep 2015, 19:38
x 1885

Re: Forums still dead ?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Michel wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 16:52
GiveMeABreak wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 16:38
Can't understand the need for people to know what each other had for dinner, what their shoe sizes are and the other drivel - but I am glad that people have started to wake up to how their data is mined and used at long last.
I use facebook, but I've been well aware since the start that data is mined and used. That's why nothing about me that could be classed as useful has ever been accurate. My DOB for example, is actually the sort code of a long-closed bank account..
That's the way to do it Mike.

It's another reason why I fail to see how any person with half a brain cell could be influenced one way or the other in any election / referendum or similar based on this hooey.

I think it's an insult to suggest people can be seriously influenced in this way, so as to affect an outcome and that people don't know what they are voting for!

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41632
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1079

Re: Forums still dead ?

Post by CitroJim »

GiveMeABreak wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 17:00
'Wot no Meat'?


No, 100% vegan and after eating it I'd never run or cycled so fast in my life!

User avatar
Michel
Posts: 1750
Joined: 29 May 2017, 13:50
x 327

Re: Forums still dead ?

Post by Michel »

CitroJim wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 17:14
GiveMeABreak wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 17:00
'Wot no Meat'?


No, 100% vegan and after eating it I'd never run or cycled so fast in my life!


Nor would I, but I'd be running to the butchers for a nice piece of steak.

User avatar
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
Posts: 41632
Joined: 30 Apr 2005, 23:33
x 1079

Re: Forums still dead ?

Post by CitroJim »

Michel wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 17:17
CitroJim wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 17:14
GiveMeABreak wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 17:00
'Wot no Meat'?


No, 100% vegan and after eating it I'd never run or cycled so fast in my life!


Nor would I, but I'd be running to the butchers for a nice piece of steak.


:lol:

Gibbo2286
donor 2020
Posts: 4411
Joined: 08 Jun 2011, 18:04
x 683

Re: Forums still dead ?

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 17:14
GiveMeABreak wrote:
26 Mar 2018, 17:00
'Wot no Meat'?


No, 100% vegan and after eating it I'd never run or cycled so fast in my life!


That reminds me of the day the guy in the workshop put petrol in the cat's bowl, it went round and round so fast you could hardly see it, then dropped silently to the ground,



Dead? Nah! run out of petrol.