Dashboard LED's

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Some interesting clobber here, not cheap though.
http://www.ultraleds.co.uk
Dave
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi (Marty?)
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Didnt think thst was an issue when using LEDs of the same type? (ie all 5mm Hyperbrite Blues in this case) <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes - even a tiny difference in Vf will make a big difference to the current. Say you have 10 LEDs, even all from same batch - lowest Vf 2.5, highest 2.52.
If you connect them in parallel and calculate the series resistor to give 20mA, they will ALL have 2.5v across them, so that the current drawn by those with the highest Vf will be much less - the low one will act as a zener. In extreme cases, the highest one may not even turn on.
Mike
Paulxmski
My Cars:

Post by Paulxmski »

Hi yu all,
Ref leds my local store in Bletchley has keychain bright light led lights with red,blue, green and yellow leds they work off 2 x 2016 0r 1 x 2032 at 3 volts and they're £1each the 2032 batteries fit the XM remote and the whole thing is cheaper than most shops charge just for the battery, mayb four of them could be strung together for real christmas tree dash effect ha ha!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by uhn113x</i>

Hi (Marty?) - Yep Marty!
[quote]the low one will act as a zener. In extreme cases, the highest one may not even turn on.
Mike
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ah well, - I stand correcte<b></b>d. Its a loooooong time since i did my Btec in electronics (which i failed - which is why i became a nurse) but i never had any probs with the fiesta dash, as far as i know its still working as i see it occasionaly and the dash is still blue.