X7 steering rack damage prevention

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: X7 steering rack damage prevention

Post by bobins »

The rack that came off my 2009 C5 definitely didn't have a green ring fitted and I've owned the car since it was about 2 years old, so I'm confident it was the original rack. The replacement (second hand) rack I fitted was only a few months old and came with a ring, so I assumed that recent genuine replacement racks come with green rings.
It's quite possible that racks that come with green rings are quite capable of rusting out as before, just that the green ring helps to protect the seal. If that's the case then it's quite possible (though unlikely) that some 'green ring' racks have already gone through a recon process. Stretching the theory even further, Elis' car could already have had a replacement rack and the green ring of the previous rack was left behind stuck in the rubber cover by mistake, and the rack that is currently fitted is a new and even more improved design - or a recon one where the company that did the work actually made a good job of it and protected the shaft.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

That's a very good set of points. I took a chance when I bought the car as I didn't have any service history to prove / back-up those theories.

I suppose I could contact Citroen and see if the car was ever repaired under warranty but I doubt they’d have the records easily available.

I'm just happy that it's not knackered and hopefully with a greasing it should stay that way :-D .
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

EDC5 wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 21:38 I suppose I could contact Citroen and see if the car was ever repaired under warranty but I doubt they’d have the records easily available.

Any dealer can easily check the full warranty history of the car with the VIN.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes they have a centralised system - when I got a printout on my MK II before I sold it on, they produced 2 inches thick of computer printouts :-D That was down to all the work and servicing I had done with them no doubt! Whether they would just be able to tell you or not might be easier, but it would probably mean someone scanning through all the records visually, but doable.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

Bandit12 wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 18:13 I presume that if there is a problem the whole rack needs changing and not just the pinion cos that looks like it might come out through the inspection hole in footwell.

If the rack has to come off you need to replace the seals or they will leak. Unless someone has come up with an alternative that means buying whole new supply and return pipes from Citroen at some extortionate price.