C4 1.6 hdi Injector

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Junglist
My Cars: Citroen c4 hdi.

Re: C4 1.6 hdi Injector

Post by Junglist »

Sooo Power has gone again.
Sometimes it’s there and sometimes it isn’t.
If I’m accelerating and I’ve got no power I can simply release the pedal slightly and press it again and the power is back with instant boost.

Whilst on a motorway car drives fine in 4th & 5th.
Makes no difference if the car is hot or cold.

I removed the maf to see if it made any difference and it does I’ve slightly less power than normal but the car is drivable except some white smoke.
plug it back in and problems return. I’ve replaced the MAF with a brand new Pierburg from eurocar parts and £100 (sensata made with a pierburg sticker on it) But it’s the same still no good with it plugged in.
I’m guessing with it unplugged the car is going into a default fuelling and cancelling something off.

With the Map sensor removed the car drives fine but slow (not as slow as with the maf plugged in).

No lights on the dash.
I’ve read the fault codes just this.
Permanent fault
P1351 pre-post heating relay circuit, plugs never supplied.

I’m aware the glow plugs are used not just for starting and aid in DPF cleaning but I’m trying to exhaust all over options before tackling the plugs.

I’ll be doing a leak off test on the injectors this weekend after that I’ll check the resistance of the glow plugs and replace and duffs.
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

I’ve changed the EGR blank plate for one without a hole in. Car is a bit better but not perfect.
It’s like everything I do it gets a little bit better 🤣,
Had a quick look at the glow plugs the one nearest the EGR is dead , but fml it’s gonna be a a pain to get to the others.
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

No lights have come on the dash after fitting the blanking plate after 5 trips over 20 Miles
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

Now looking into a Teraclean.
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

Not bothering with teraclean. Gonna sort glow plugs out 1st.
Will post back results once I’ve done them.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

Ugh, enjoy that one. Be super careful with removing the GP's as losing a tip can be a head-off job.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Our C4 (and the 307 before it) have run for 000s of miles with a glowplug fault without any trouble. I really wouldn't try disturbing them! Is this a 110 or a 90? If it's a 110, push down on the actuator on the front of the turbo, and check that it moves smoothly, and springs straight back. The vanes can bung up, and cause all sorts of the odd issues.
Richard W
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

On every 1.6hdi I've had I've removed the turbo to find the actuator not working as it should. Removed it from the turbo, stripped it down, copious amounts of cleaning fluid until it worked fully, new rubber return pipe and the difference is marked.
crapday69
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 eHDi VTR+NAV

Post by crapday69 »

Eddie, also when I checked out youtube for more info on the actuate, I found this too.

Dont know if it will make difference as I have never seen this on my engine, but it must be there.
Last edited by myglaren on 13 Apr 2018, 07:03, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube link
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

Thanks I’ll check the actuator first. It does move by itself after I switch off and moves when I accelerate with no load.
Not sure I’ve seen that vacuum valve in this engine before.
It’s a 110
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

I’ve read people have had sane problems resolved after fixing dead glow plugs. They apparently help with combustion & emissions , could be giving a fidget Reading to a sensor somewhere??

It’s odd how when I have no power a simple or off and re apply if throttle will bring the power back.

The power has started to come back now at 2500-3000rpm and kicks in with force like head in the back of seat , made me think sticking veins in the turbo ?? .
I’ve had a can of EGR cleaner through it and a bottle of turbo cleaner in the fuel with little luck.
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

Also the only code on the reader is p1351 glow plugs pre post heating relay plugs never supplied.
Nothing else and nothing on the dash.
I’d expect a under / over boost if the turbo was sticking , wouldn’t I ?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If the vanes are sticking you often get an over boost error, which is the opposite of what you are seeing. On the 1.6 HDi the vac valve lives down the back of the block... I would look in live data when the engine is being used - check the requested position of the electrovalve and the reference position they should be the same, check also the reference boost pressure and the actual pressure. If these are OK, then you should probably check the vacuum level.
Richard W
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

I’ve just checked the glow plugs 2&4 are dead.
I also checked for power going to the plugs ,
when ignition is turned 2 clicks I get just 0.44v to the plugs.
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

2 dead plugs changed today , one came out easy the other was in a bit tight so took it easy a couple of turns then wd40 / carb cleaner between turns, on a hot engine.

Doesn’t seem to have made any difference to my problem lols but at least that’s done.

I’ll grab a glow plug relay and an electronic turbo actuator from the scrappy next time I’m near.

I their was a vacuum problem, the actuator wouldn’t ’ move right ?

Quick question , The Little filter / breather on top of the engine near the fuel primer,,, is that a breather connected to the turbo vac solenoid? What does it do ? Is meant to suck / blow or anything??
There was a disintegrated foam filter in it that I’ve removed now.
Many thanks.