suspension not working properly

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7) - RIP April 2024

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Re: suspension not working properly

Post by Sloppysod »

bobins wrote: 14 Apr 2018, 19:23 However.... if your rack hasn't recently been moved from the car then the pipe "leak" can be a misdiagnosis and it's actually the steering rack pinion seal that's gone and the LDS fluid is just dribbling down past the pipes. .....:(

I agree with Bobbins, my 2011 C5 recently went the same way, the best way to see the leak is to view the input shaft from inside the car, which means disconnecting the steering column and removing the rubber 'Firewall plug' then looking down onto the rack input shaft.
The prices quoted above is about right for the the standard rack, and not a car with variable steering.

Also, why did you car have a boot replaced, was it the drivers side boot?.............could they have found it 'wet' and instantly thought is was leaking, sounds as if it was not the boot but the rack in the first place.

Also.
GiveMeABreak wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 20:49 The rack .............. There has been limited success with refurbished ones. ...............
My refurbished rack seems to be fine, so far, so do not be afraid, just make sure you get a good guarantee from a reputable workshop.

Good luck #-o
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi