Citroen C5 X7 Windscreen Wipers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ASK_dj
My Cars: CX 2400 GTI , CX 2.2 , C5 1.6Hdi ,C5 2.0 HDI exclusive , Xantia 1.6

Re: Citroen C5 X7 Windscreen Wipers

Post by ASK_dj »

Hi find issue to fix wiper motor .when open bottom cover ,with pcb and gear ,on motor spindle find magnet which moving axial when wiper not work . find this magnet must fix and not moving . I apply a drop super glue to fix this part to motor spindle on position where blue line go in green line in picture . ,when faulty magnet part moving axially show in by yellow arrow . After this intervention wiper work fine again , don't forget to seal cover .
C5 x 7 wiper motor
C5 x 7 wiper motor
Moderator note: Click photo ↑ to enlarge, to see marked detail
Bravooo
New User
My Cars: I own a Citroen C5 tourer diesel 2.0 2010

Post by Bravooo »

Dear fried ASK_dy
Your post is highly appreciated. The cause you identified with the lose magnetic bush is awesome. My wipers were not moving at all before my intervention. I found the same issue as you clearly described, I applied then super glue and now the wipers are working fine. I saved about 160 EUR repairing the wipers by my self. Just be careful to do not damage the magnetic envelopment, as I scratch it during the repositioning [but still working].
My best regards to ASK_dj. Awesome picture and great problem solver.
Shafty69
My Cars: Citroen C5 2009

Post by Shafty69 »

Afternoon all.

I had my wipers fail last week, luckily i was nearly home so just wiped the windscreen with a cloth and got back. I checked the fuses and all were OK and thought id be shelling out big money for new motor/s.
I just went out to start disassembly and when i unlocked the car the drivers side wiper moved an almost imperceptible amount. I started the car and they work perfectly. Any thoughts?
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

Sorry to dig up old thread, but is the issue here the gap or the magnet sliding up and down?
The magnet on mine seems stuck with the gap as in the pic.

I cracked open my passenger side and there is a lot of corrosion near the circuit board on the inside.
why?
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

Question, can you test the wiper motors without actually bolting them in with the wipers? ie will they spin up and down or do they need the blades to pass the rain sensor or something else?
why?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The wipers need to be connected to each other for proper testing as they operate in a Master / Slave ECU configuration - with one ECU in one motor commanding the other, so they don't clash. The rain and brightness sensor has nothing to do with the wiper operation directly. That sensor, amongst other things, just lets the BSI know when it's raining and to what degree, so it can command the wipers to operate.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 13:55 The wipers need to be connected to each other for proper testing as they operate in a Master / Slave ECU configuration - with one ECU in one motor commanding the other, so they don't clash. The rain and brightness sensor has nothing to do with the wiper operation directly. That sensor, amongst other things, just lets the BSI know when it's raining and to what degree, so it can command the wipers to operate.
Thanks, I tried it there, without bolting them in to see which combination worked.
why?
Paul_719_AB
My Cars: C5 III X7 1.6L DV6TED4 2010 Estate
206 2004 2L DW10TD Sport
406 1999 2L DW10ATED Estate
405 2L Diesel Turbo Estate

Post by Paul_719_AB »

Hi I have the same issue as others have described here.
1) after a brief jam, drivers (RHS) continued to work but only on intermittent, LHS moved to starting position and thereafter gave small "lurch" on each wipe.
2) On inspection, the magnet? described by Ask_dj was found to be loose. this was glued back to splines. Otherwise internals were good, no sign of moisture overheating or dry joints.
3) After removal and inspection of the units, neither operate.
4) original fault codes were cleared
BSI reset done now "unspecified error" 5FF
Does anyone know of any test procedure for the individual wiper ECUs?
Or any other ideas?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Any testing is done via Diagbox, but the 5FF code you quoted is not coming up as a valid wiper ECU fault, of which there are only 5. None of these are really helpful as all the available codes are 'non-characterised'.

Marc
Paul_719_AB
206 2004 2L DW10TD Sport

Post by Paul_719_AB »

Thanks for the quick reply. The frustrating this is I don't know what voltages are sent to the wiper units to make them operate or sent to the modules to make them believe the other is ok. I am an electronic engineer, so I have the necessary equipment just not enough info to diagnose. grr
Paul_719_AB
206 2004 2L DW10TD Sport

Post by Paul_719_AB »

I do have a proper diag box
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Unfortunately, Citroen don't repair these. They are throw away / recycle and replace so there are no repair diagrams as such. I had mine done under warranty. It can be tricky though, because these are CAN controlled and have a master / slave relationship between the ECUs in the wiper motors, so it's not always apparent which one is faulty from the wiper operation itself.

If you want a wiring diagram of the motor connections, pop your VIN up (Automasked on post submission). It won't have voltages, but will have connections.

Marc
Paul_719_AB
206 2004 2L DW10TD Sport

Post by Paul_719_AB »

Thanks Marc, I have proper manuals with wiring diagrams and connections, but thanks anyway. I think I may have identified the fault, which I now believe is in the PSF1 unit. The loose magnet may have been caused by the removal of the wiper motor assembly, if it was not fixed well. After rechecking the wiring, there appears to be a short where there should not be. I will post my findings when I get to the bottom of it.
I just need to research how to get the PSF1 out and find R5 (relay?).
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

PSF1 is the engine fusebox and the relays are integrated. They're sealed units and aren't user serviceable, so if you suspect a problem here, then it's generally a replacement fusebox. It is quite rare for the fuseboxes on the X7 to fail to be honest - they're pretty robust. If you've got them working intermittently, I suspect it is more to do with the internals of the wiper ECUs / components than the relay - I've never heard of the relay failing for these - it's always been one of the wiper units from experience.

Marc
mihkel
My Cars: Citroen C5 (x7)

Post by mihkel »

Hey!

I had intermittent problems with the wipers. Seemed to get worse in colder and humid weather. Problems like described before - one wiper moving erratically, one standing still or no wiping whatsoever. Since new motors were 300€ each and it was difficult to tell which one was faulty (used ones were around 100€) I decided to give it a go and take a look inside. Upon disassembly it appeared that one motor had been replaced previously as it seemed newer and had an newer tag on it. It also had a lot less corrosion than the older one on the aluminium casing. The corrosion seems to be the main problem as it eats away the sealing face of the casing and lets water and moisture in.

Taking it apart was rather easy, four screws and a little prying because of the old glue. Upon opening moisture damage could be already seen. I sent the casings with the PCB's to a electrician who then disassembled the PCB's from the casings and gave them a proper clean and resoldered places that needed to be. Also added a new varnish coat.

I cleaned the sealing faces as much as I could as the faces were really rotten on one of the motors. I used polyurethane windshield sealant to close the motors. I also re-tightened the motor supply connectors which connect to the PCB as the older ones seemed to be a bit loose. After the sealant had dried I added generous amounts of underbody wax to the outside of the motor casings to prevent further rotting and keeping moisture away. Since then it seems to be working fine! Total amount spent was 65€ and some hours of fiddling.