Oil change pump

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Re: Oil change pump

Post by doctle »

Car manufacturers will tell you it's fine to drive from London to the suburbs of Sydney and back again on the same engine oil, who that knows even a little about cars believes this? Why do you need so many different tools to do simple jobs on a car? Why are so many fastenings single use? Why do some cars need special diagnostic equipment to reset the service interval? Methinks it's to generate revenue, you need a huge collection of sockets drives bits etc much less hassle to go to a garage or dealer
Oh buggle
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

Personally I don't agree with the principle of suction oil changes, I feel that the oil flowing out of the drain plug carries a lot of the crud out with it from the corners of the sump.

I am tempted by one of these though:

I think the drain plug thread on the 2.0 HDi is M14 x 1.25, so it's about 35 euros..... bit pricey.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

EDC5 wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 19:17 Personally I don't agree with the principle of suction oil changes, I feel that the oil flowing out of the drain plug carries a lot of the crud out with it from the corners of the sump.
Having taken off many sumps and seen the layer of crud stuck to the bottom of them, I don't think it makes any difference at all draining out the sump plug.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

doctle wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 09:01 Car manufacturers will tell you it's fine to drive from London to the suburbs of Sydney and back again on the same engine oil, who that knows even a little about cars believes this? Why do you need so many different tools to do simple jobs on a car? Why are so many fastenings single use? Why do some cars need special diagnostic equipment to reset the service interval? Methinks it's to generate revenue, you need a huge collection of sockets drives bits etc much less hassle to go to a garage or dealer

I serviced my 107 this week. I needed a plug spanner (Well, the narrower plug socket from my socket set), a 17mm socket, a 10mm socket and an 8mm socket. That was it. All done. That was plugs, air filter, oil filter , oil, pollen filter. I could do the Berlingo with less, but needed a Phillips screwdriver for that.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

I tried a vacuum pump on my 1.6hdi and after removed the sump plug, expecting a bit more oil to drain but it was bone dry.