Directional headlights fault C5

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wbgenetic
My Cars: Citoren C5 / 2.2 Automatic / Estate (2005) || VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Project name: The Mothership

Re: Directional headlights fault C5

Post by wbgenetic »

Hello Marc,

thanks for the thorough explanation. I did have intentions to keep it - but now I sort of realized that I do have a bit of a lemon here ... So not sure how to proceed...
The DPF/Catalyst removal is on my list of things to restore but not quite on the high priority list as of yet... On the flip side I did buy the car for a rather low cost - I guess this explains why .... :(

How do I restore the BSI to the original settings :? Will this be done somehow setting by setting:? Or can I download the firmware from somewhere and install (although it would seem highly unlikely as it the setting seem to be per VIN / equipment levels ...)

Help over WiFi anyone... :?! :D
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There is no reset of the BSI Iain. The specific BSI software can only be downloaded from the PSA servers (authorised operator accounts), however all the customer options still have to be manually telecoded.

So unless one knows exactly what is and isn’t on the car and more importantly where and how to configure it properly, there is no magic reset button.

The BSI aside, there may well be a modification done to the engine ECU separately, so that would also likely need to be checked out and the software redownloaded if it was tampered with.

Unless the OP is experienced with Lexia and telecoding the correct options for the BSI more specifically, it is going to be difficult to achieve. Difficult, but not impossible if the will and the wallet is there.

It may be worth paying Citroen for diagnostic time to download the Engine ECU and BSI configuration files to start with. Then you can start working on the options and finally determine what are the actual faults.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

I didn't mean there was a reset button or way to simply reset - perhaps insert "restore" or "revert" where I wrote reset and it will read as intended.
Agreed, I think the only way forward is someone that can download the original settings for the car.

I *think* it's possible for after market suppliers to also have this access is it not? (Although whether there is anyone that has set up that access and doesn't have a lexia clone that would automatically be blocked in such an event... is another matter of course!)

:-k
As an idea for a more DIY approach...
I've noticed it's possible on service.citroen to pay for 'one off' access to premium info...
Would this include access to download the original configuration files???
And if so...
Is there then a way to use a clone lexia to upload them (since you have the file rather than needing to connect online)???
nb: no idea at all about above, just hopeful hypothesizing at this stage!!! :lol:
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No the files can only be applied from the servers. :wink: This has been a constant move by PSA to move the majority of telecoding to server configuration, as can be seen in the later versions of Diagbox. There are now less functions that can be manually telecoded with each new release. Another reason for sticking with versions to about 7.62 or under, which is when they started removing manual telecoding from certain models. :cry:

As for software, access for one vehicle is about £42 for a week. However, this requires a compatible Evolution XS VCI and requires the latest software to be downloaded. So there is no guarantee that this will work with a clone interface. The communication is then managed between the Lexia interface and the PSA servers as is the update - but again there may be procedures and questions asked by the software as part of the procedure that one may not understand if the prerequisite training has not been undertaken (as stated when ordering) - and it goes without saying that there is no comeback on PSA if you brick your car. :shock:

Marc
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Well that puts paid to most of that idea then...

However, I have no faith that a dealer would take responsibility if they bricked the car either though, tbh :lol:
No doubt they would claim it was a hard fault on the ECU that they couldn't do anything about etc.

(But maybe that's just me being unkind, suspecting that all dealers offer crap and / or dishonest service... ;) )
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Have faith Iain :-D , there are still some good dealers out there - a lot of it is sticking with one where you know the technicians and follow them around! I've been using the same one for 25 years or so now and that is mainly because I know the After Sales Manager who is still a fully trained Citroen technician over the last 30+ years. But all the staff there are great and treat their customers with respect.

Marc
wbgenetic
My Cars: Citoren C5 / 2.2 Automatic / Estate (2005) || VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by wbgenetic »

I start to lose faith but will not drop the fight :)
I would reckon that dealers in Bulgaria are sort of "different" than dealers in the UK ... will give it a shot at some point though ...
Last edited by wbgenetic on 14 Feb 2018, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
wbgenetic

Post by wbgenetic »

Update: Just saw the ESP/ABS Error this morning :( Could the culprit behind all (well most) of the issues lie within the COM:?
lulu_ned
My Cars: 2005 Citroen C3 1.1 i
2005 Citroen C5 Estate 1.6 HDi
2005 Citroen C5 Estate 2.0 HDi
Past cars:
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i
2000 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.0i
2007 Renault Clio 1.5 dci
2008 VW Passat Variant 2.0 TDI
2004 Renault Laguna 1.6i
1997 Subaru Impreza 1.6i
1992 VW Passat Variant 1.8i
1977 VW Passat Coupe

Post by lulu_ned »

Hello dear citro-lovers! I saw the topic of directional headlights for C5, so instead of opening a new topic, might as well write here. I’ve recently bought a C5 Estate 2.0 HDi Exclusive. The car is equipped with xenon directional headlamps. Since I got the car, I saw a few things wrong with the car, one of them being the headlights. As I start the car, the lights go on. After starting and moving aprox.1/4 mile an error shows up on the display:”directional headlamps faulty”. As the tester(delphi) shows an error : “9110 headlamp levelling motor”. I have done an actuator test and each headlight moves up/down/left/right/center/normal. Is this related with the levelling sensors on the stabilisers? Sorry for my rusty english.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi and welcome.

If the height correctors are faulty, it will disable the directional function of the Headlamps for safety reasons. That isn't a PSA code - do you have a prefix or the full code?

Marc
lulu_ned
Past cars:
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i
2004 Renault Laguna 1.6i
1997 Subaru Impreza 1.6i
1977 VW Passat Coupe

Post by lulu_ned »

No, there is no prefix, usually there is a P or U or something, but I do not have it. And last night I raised the car up, lowered it and the headlights adjust accordingly, as soon as I start driving a few hundred meters the "Directional headlamps faulty" message comes on. Anyway, I will try to squirt some lubricant on the connectors for the levelling sensors, or just take them off and giving them a good scrub and then try to put them back on. But I'm concerned how to set-up the correct height and level. I think I saw something online but I'm not sure.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Be very careful here:

Even though the car may raise and lower without fault at standstill, that won't determine a faulty levelling motor (if it is faulty). The motors need to respond whilst the car is moving and rapidly. If one or more of the motors is not responding quickly enough, then it will report a fault. On starting up the headlamps, the system will self-diagnose - but this can't account for any faults occurring when the car is actually moving afterwards. So the Azimuth settings (left and right) may have an issue when turning when the car is moving. It is also possible that you have a problem with the comms unit in the steering wheel (Steering Wheel Angle Sensor) which informs the ABS /ESP system.

So what are the other faults on the car as there may be more going on here than a single fault - and it is extremely common for faults to be related where they share data communications or have inter-dependability.

Be careful if you are going to check height sensors. Always support the car independently and do not get underneath it unless you have supports - the suspension may drop down at any moment and crush you....Be careful not to take the clamps off or you will risk altering the height settings.

I really don't think you have a height sensor problem, otherwise you would likely be getting a suspension fault too, or have intermittent height issues and you didn't mention that. If you are not experiencing any suspension height faults, I would look at the wiring connections to the height sensors and the headlamp motors and check the condition of earth points.

But you really need to get the full fault codes from a Lexia - any other diagnostic machine may not be able to read the manufacturer specific fault codes. Typically there is a fault code: "Xenon bulb headlamp height adjuster fault"

Marc
lulu_ned
Past cars:
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i
2004 Renault Laguna 1.6i
1997 Subaru Impreza 1.6i
1977 VW Passat Coupe

Post by lulu_ned »

Sorry for not telling the whole story, seemed irrelevant at the time, but now I think it really more to it.
Here is the whole list of faults discovered last night:
P1351 - pre-postheating relay control circuit fault
U1205 - No communication with steering wheel angle sensor - incorectly recieved - permanent
U2005 - Triggering(vehicle speed receipt anomaly) - Intermittent
9110 - Headlamp levelling motor - Intermittent
These are all the codes that i pulled last night with my diagnostic tool Delphi ds150e. I will scan it once more this evening. My concern is that the suspension and steering sensor are at fault. The ride height on this car is 2-3 cm lower than the other C5 estate that i have and it seems that the back end is lower than the front end. Also thinking to replace the com2000(i think i'm saying it right) the unit with the stalks and the sensors. On the other C5 i have the same issue with the steering wheel angle sensor, but there it throws an ESP error, also it does not have xenon headlamps. I just need a lead so I can start to investigate, last resort being the dealership. I have not found any useful information online, so any help is greatly appreciated.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, this is starting to make sense now -always better to list the whole story :-D

First of all please can you post your VIN (automatically masked from public view) , so I know exactly what options and systems are fitted.

If you have a fault with the steering wheel angle sensor, that will affect the ESP / ABS ECU and will affect the directional headlamps as it reads this data and turns the headlamp motors in the correct direction. If the angle sensor has not been calibrated properly then it will affect the directional headlamp (left and right turning) which only happens when the car is moving. As there is also a speed fault listed, that is likely to affect the same ECU. So before you start replacing parts, let's see what those codes are.

Once you have put your VIN up I'll see what I have.

Marc
lulu_ned
Past cars:
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i
2004 Renault Laguna 1.6i
1997 Subaru Impreza 1.6i
1977 VW Passat Coupe

Post by lulu_ned »

Ok thank you very much! The VIN is : VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff].
Hope it helps!