Gabby is broken, fuel pump leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Gabby is broken, fuel pump leak

Post by CitroJim »

I did the timing belt when I owned her Davie... No need to disturb the belt when changing pumps 😉
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 118k one of two? remaining
'97 306 1.6 XS, 24k, The ex-Haynes "Max Power" display car. Bought after being written off & stripped, now being rebuilt without the wide body
('96 ZX 1.9TD SX, ??k roller due to collect at weekend)

Post by ekjdm14 »

Missed this thread. Going back to page 1 a mo, I replaced the dizzy head seal on Black using mainly Jim's guide for reference as well although I did the job in-situ. Nothing at all wrong with Jim's knowledge of these pumps if it enabled a first timer to do that... I think I need to have a thumb through MikeT's guide as well now since I hope to up the power on White eventually once the engine is proven sound finally.

Hope the cambelt can stay in place on Gabby and allow a quick and effective reseal. Also makes me realise how small my health problems are in the big scheme of things, hope you all stay well and don't overexert.
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 118k
'97 306 XS 1.6i, Blaze Yellow, 24k
'96 ZX SX 1.9TD rolling shell, White, ??k
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

CitroJim wrote: 03 Feb 2018, 10:22 I did the timing belt when I owned her Davie... No need to disturb the belt when changing pumps 😉

I know the timing belt is very recent Jim, I’m worried that it may have been running under a shower of veg oil and that could cause it to slip. I’ve not spoken to my mate today, the car was dropped at his yesterday. I will find out tomorrow if the pump is off or not. Just wondering if the belt is covered in oil if I were to spray it with degreaser and then power hose it if that would be acceptable?
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Luckily, timing belts rarely get covered in oil from a leaky pump Davie..

It only might get a little oily if the front (driveshaft) seal fails... If that's all that's failed on it then it can easily be replaced without disassembly...

If it is oily, replace without question - don't try to clean it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...