MOT changes

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: MOT changes

Post by CitroJim »

You raise some very valid points there Simon...

I can only think those rules were written for motorcycles - where all of the above is possible and can be easily checked without wheel removal - and then accidentally got into the car drafts as well...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I agree - it means there are going to have to be so many exemptions / exceptions - depending on car model. But, nobody has mentioned yet that with all this 'preliminary reading and checking of the manual against every section for the new changes, plus all the new actual physical checks that will have to take place, how much more time and therefore additional cost an MOT is going to be when the new changes are enforced? I suspect it won't be long before a £100 MOT charge is seen as a bargain!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

bobins wrote: 27 Jan 2018, 10:42 Rather alarmingly, there have been mutterings about moving the MOT to a two yearly test with the car's first examnination at 4 years :shock:

I wouldn't be alarmed by that, I think it's probably fair, although there should maybe be a mileage level included for the rep who does 50k miles a year.

I did MOT testing right from its inception and the three year period at that time was certainly necessary but the quality of cars has improved immensely in all safety respects since then.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

Mandrake wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 12:03 Smacks of someone in an office somewhere with a little but not enough knowledge writing these tests....
I think to be fair that the apparent errors and absurdities probably come from someone in the Autoexpress office badly paraphrasing parts of the new manual. As far as I can make out, the relevant section of the manual is 1.1.14:
MOT manual
MOT manual
1.1.14(a)(i)- "A brake disc or drum significantly and (not "or") obviously worn.

I'm not sure what purpose the 'obviousness' requirement serves here, surely the thing to be tested is simply whether or not the disc is worn, whether or not the wear is obvious (presumably meaning immediately apparent) is irrelevant, although as a matter of practical reality the wear would by necessity need to be 'obvious' to be detected in the wheels-on MOT.

Moreover, the use of the word 'significant' seems a little ambiguous and sloppy. As you note Mandrake, all discs have a stated minimum thickness. It seems arguable that even 1mm of wear to a disc is significant, yet would not be great enough to render the disc unsafe. Surely the more correct word would have been 'excessively'?

I wonder if the final version of the manual will be better worded.

1.1.14(a)(d) - "Brake drum back plate secure".

This is presumably the reg that the Autoexpress hack is interpreting as requiring the disc to be secured to the wheel hub.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi 2003

Post by 411514 »

The draft manual as a whole does seem poorly worded.
Mot manual
Mot manual
Ignoring the issue that, to my knowledge, almost all suspension systems incorporate a fluid damper of one form of another, and that the "gas" and "air" words, being subsets of "fluid" are superfluous, 5.3.5(b)(i) would appear to allow a tester to fail a hydro Cit with spheres that are 1bar down on spec, for the reason that even that small pressure loss would "adversely affect the functioning". It seems again that "excessively" or similar would have been a better word.

I hope the manual will be tidied up before it is finalised.
Sam

2003 C5 2.0HDI 110
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

"(c) - Missing"

I can't imagine anyone presenting a car for a test with a missing disc or drum!

There will always be cheap MoTs... Often they're seen as a 'loss-leader'. I know my local man charges £35 safe in the knowledge he gets the work to resolve the many failures and this is both an excellent earner for him and offsets any loss made on the MoT itself...

He tells me the cheap MoT really draws in the punters...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

The dealers i worked at in early 00's said you can charge what you want for mot's, however the price is based on the number of tickets you bought, the more you bought the cheaper you would get them etc. I am pretty sure its some different now as you dont have a Book of tickets as they used to, my mot is £50, has cost the same for the past 3 years, i know i could get it cheaper locally but I trust the mot tester, he moved garages when the local expanded, always gave a fair test,
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Spurious
My Cars: Well missed Xantia Activa
Another missed Xantia 2.0hdi
Current C5 Estate HDi

Post by Spurious »

There's also a council run independent tester nearby to me. Would they be worth going to? They don't do repairs.

In Ireland there's only independent government contracted test centres. They just test and don't do repairs. The testing regulations are more or less the same. Bi-annual testing for cars less than 10 years old, annual thereafter. You're exempt from needing a roadworthiness test for the first 4 years on cars. Commercial vehicles are annual regardless of age.
Phase 2 Xantia HDi
Sold
Phase 1 Xantia Activia
Sold :(
Phase 2 Citroen C5
Sold

And a current semi-working MK1 C5 Hdi 110.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

The tester I normally use will do small repairs that are possible during the test, but only does tests, does not do any major repairs. I'm just really talking about bulbs, wipers act, he sometimes gives a fail for such items then immediately gives a retest and pass. I have always found him totally fair, and have used him for 30 years!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Spurious wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 14:21 There's also a council run independent tester nearby to me. Would they be worth going to? They don't do repairs.

Yes. I only use independent testing stations that don't do repairs. The possibilities of being ripped off are endless if you don't.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Michel wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 16:19
Spurious wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 14:21 There's also a council run independent tester nearby to me. Would they be worth going to? They don't do repairs.

Yes. I only use independent testing stations that don't do repairs. The possibilities of being ripped off are endless if you don't.

Unless you know your local one very well that's very true... Mine does all repairs and charges £35. He knows me too well and wouldn't dare take the p...

Being a true old-school indy he stands and falls by his local reputation... If word got out he'd ripped a client off there'd be hell to pay and likely he'd be hounded out of town; bad news travels fast around these parts...

Zel uses him too.

He's also Citroen-friendly; he used to run XMs so he understands hydraulic Citroens very well.

He'll be MOT'ing my Ka tomorrow morning...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

This short thread may be of interest. In it I put up this link UK Council Mot Centres Can't vouch for its acccuracy eg there are 2 in Northumberland the site just comes up with NCC's general number you have to dig around their website to find them.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

CitroJim wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 13:34 "(c) - Missing"

You'd be surprised!
Have a look around the MOT testers' forums for some 'interesting' failures.
I suspect that this is the sort of thing they have in mind when they say 'significantly worn' http://mtaeta.info/thread/2533/brakes-who-anyway, but there's a better one somewhere, where the disc has completely disappeared, leaving only its hub. I think that counts as 'missing'!
Last edited by RichardW on 30 Jan 2018, 06:27, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the urL tags
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

dnsey wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 18:47
CitroJim wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 13:34 "(c) - Missing"

You'd be surprised!

Surprised? I'm shocked to the core!
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 18:09

This short thread may be of interest.

Regards Neil

That's exactly why I'd be concerned if they extended the MOT to two year intervals :shock: Most of us on here have some mechanical sympathy, but there are plenty out there (getting in my way on the roads :lol: ) who don't have a clue to what's going on with their cars.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(