Old dog, new tricks (emergency braking)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Re: Old dog, new tricks (emergency braking)

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

As far as I know, yes (as the car is now braking far harder than normal).

Michel

Post by Michel »

All EBA really does is apply the brakes as hard as it possibly can, when it detects you're trying to do an emergency stop but are too chicken to really mash the pedal to the bulkhead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_brake_assist

Dommo

Post by Dommo »

As Michel just mentioned, it is designed to detect when you are trying to emergency stop but don't depress the brake fully. I presume it achieves this by determining that you've pressed the brake very sharply/suddenly, but maybe not fully. So it just takes over and gives you maximum braking effort.

I've experienced it once in my C5, I was coming to a T junction and looked one way then the other (while still rolling), then looked back the first way and realised that there was a car there (not sure how I missed it the first time), so I jabbed the brake and it slammed the anchors on. I know I applied the brake enough to stop, however it must have realised the urgency with which I pressed the pedal and decided that I wanted an emergency stop. Very impressive.

Paul-R
Donor 2020

Post by Paul-R »

I made a very hard stop in my Mk1 C5 very early on in my ownership when I steamed into roundabout severely misjudging the speed of a car already coming round. I jammed on the brakes (completely forgetting all that I used to know about cadence braking!) and came to a juddering halt very quickly. Fortunately there was nothing following me.

Interestingly the hazard warning lights came on as a result. Something that hasn't happened since in anything I've driven.

wurlycorner

Post by wurlycorner »

How does the car know it's damp/cold conditions, so needs to keep the brakes warm/clean?
Combination of wipers being on/Rain sensor/external temp sensor?

Fake Concern

Post by Fake Concern »

Well done Mike for missing the dear, they say it's the second one you don't see that you hit! I've only had the emergency brake assist come on once in the C4 VTS when bombing down the road home and came around a bend to find a car heading towards me on my side with another close behind it and yes the hazard lights came on. Shame it didn't also have a self cleaning drivers seat.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Fake Concern wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 23:38
Shame it didn't also have a self cleaning drivers seat.

:rofl2:

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Dommo wrote:
20 Jan 2018, 20:28

... then looked back the first way and realised that there was a car there (not sure how I missed it the first time),

May not apply to your car but in certain vehicles eg Peugeot vans, the "wing mirrors" can block out a decent proportion of the road when you approach certain T-Junctions. Huge great square things.

An aside to the topic which is probably very appropriate for the topic title "Old Dog, New Tricks" has everyone had that "panicky spaniel on a tiled floor" :-D ABS moment with the mildest of provocations.

Usually on a steep downward approach to a T-junction with a few wet leaves on the road, or patchy snow and ice.

Regards Neil

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, some moderns have terrible visibility... I notice that with the Pixo... Compared with the Saxo and Ka it's a bit like driving a WWII pillbox with slits for windows...

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I remember not so long ago Mercedes had an issue with their EBA system. If you LOOKED at the brake pedal a bit hard the car came to an abrupt stop!

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:
21 Jan 2018, 17:46
If you LOOKED at the brake pedal a bit hard the car came to an abrupt stop!

My 207 was a bit like that in the brakes department and I hated it; they were massively over-sensitive and over-servo'd :evil: