How can it be...??!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Re: How can it be...??!!

Post by demag »

I owned a few Ford Anglia's back in the day and they used to burn my ankles. Very good heaters. The bodies used to turn to dust and the engines would expire at 40k but the heaters were excellent. :lol:
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Frauds have always had good heaters Dave.. They were famous for them in the 60s and 70s...

They were the first with through-flow fresh-air (witness the air vents on the C pillars of the MK1 Cortina for instance) and eyeball vents...

Wish my Ka had a decent heater... That may be due to a duff thermostat though so until I know I'll not be too harsh on her...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The best early cars I had for efficient heaters were the early 'E' model Vauxhall Velox and Cresta. they had a huge heater and an air intake pipe about 8" in diameter. I used a scrap one in my Morris minor van, mounted it in a box and fitted it between the back of the drivers seat and the wheel arch, fantastic heat but of course you needed the fan on all the time. The wooden box I had made for it was exuding resin from the heat.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter, your early car antics make really fascinating reading :D Keep 'em coming as I, for one, love them ...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
momag46
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 1999 Xantia V6

Post by momag46 »

In the 70’s I had a Renault 16 that had a great heater, you could have warm feet and cooler air at face level BUT the controls were all over the place. The temperature control was under the RH side of the dash😥

The heater on my V6 Xantia is almost instant ever in freezing weather whereas my new C4 Picasso takes a lot longer - are we going backwards?

Maurice
1999 V6 Xantia
2014 C4 Picasso 1.6hdi Exclusive
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Jim,

I think they would make pretty boring reading if I related to many, but just as a taster: my first car in '56 was a 1939 Ford Prefect with no water pump so no heater, so I did a mod to collect hot air from the radiator. I also got a battery supply friend to make me up an 8 volt battery which improved the starting and lights no end, although I had to mod the dynamo to get enough to charge it. he used to repair batteries for a living, replacing dud cells with good ones from another battery.

Didn't do anything very adventurous until 1959 when I fitted a Perkins 4/99 diesel engine into a '55 Cresta. and about another ten conversions to other cars since, involving modding gearboxes, exhausts, engine mountings and prop shafts, all good fun, between repairing TV's of course.

I wish I had the energy now.

Peter