Remember these.? All our yesterdays

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Remember these.? All our yesterdays

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 10:33 Amazing. I paid 17 pounds 10 shillings for my first Elora set, that was about my weeks wages at the time. :roll:

Peter
Dad had an Elora socket set for as long as I can remember. Good quality and proved good to last a lifetime 😃 I saved it when I cleared dad's garage and passed it on to Zel of this parish 🙂
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Unfortunately I've lost most of mine Jim. Also bought a Bradbury 30 cwt trolly jack, that was 25 pounds - I still have that though and it still works. 8-)

Peter
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

Peter.N. wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 10:33 Amazing. I paid 17 pounds 10 shillings for my first Elora set, that was about my weeks wages at the time. :roll:

Peter
The younger mechanics seem to favour the battery gun for many things too many things IMO. I'm just going to buy a speed brace probably not use it much
Oh buggle
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

My son bought me a mains electric one, its very good also very heavy but I seldom use it, a socket on my 3 foot flexy bar shifts most things, if it doesn't I slide the Bradbury jack handle over it and that doubles the length.

Peter
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Peter
i

I paid £7/10/0 for mine Peter, still got most of it

. I think that one in Doctle's link will either be a mistake or made from cheese, :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

They used to be made from cheese, generally the opposite now, they explode or at least shatter. :shock:

Peter
doctle

Post by doctle »

Its a no name brand but I'm tempted to order them just to see how bad they are or aren't. In fairness he has over 100,000 feedback and only 11 negative this year. It would be worth it to get the speed brace. When I was a young fella there was a man called Victor lived near us, he was a mechanic and I remember watching him using his speed brace he was like a conductor in a mechanical orchestra.

Pity there's no 11/16 socket thats the size of the trailer wheel nuts and I can't fine mine had to use an 18 mm!
Oh buggle
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Let us know, I wouldn't mind one if they are any good. I have a whole draw full of sockets and accessories but I need to be able to find one quickly sometimes. The brace and a few sockets are all I have left of my Elora.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've never found much use for a speedbrace in all the years I've been playing cars...

I can twirl a T-Bar around very quickly when the need arises ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My dad had several woodworking ones that disappeared after my mother died. Would have loved to keep them. Loads of his tools wen missing.
Just had to use one of his hand drills as all my cordless ones were at my son's. Been trying to get him one of his own, which of course showed up the following day.
doctle

Post by doctle »

CitroJim wrote: 14 Dec 2020, 17:31 I've never found much use for a speedbrace in all the years I've been playing cars...

I can twirl a T-Bar around very quickly when the need arises ;)
I don't have much use for it either maybe be useful for doing up the nuts on a V8 flathead, which I don't have I just want a speed brace :-D
Oh buggle
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Odeons
Got a mention on Bargain hunt. Some art deco gems still exist across the country, and Philip Butler has photographed them and has a book on them.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Our old Odeon is a listed building now, where we used to pay 3d for the Saturday matinee, Gene Autry or Flash Gordon :)

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/i ... t-667291
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

When I were a wee lad we had no less than six cinemas in Watford which were The Empire - Merton Road, The Essoldo - King Street, The Gaumont - The Parade, The Odeon - High Street, The Carlton - Clarendon Road and The Odeon - St Albans Road. I lived roughly 200 yds from the St Albans Road Odeon but only ever went there a few times, usually for Davy Crockett films on Saturday mornings. I have never been a great cinema goer but when possible we would choose The Gaumont over the rest as it was far bigger, nicer and tended to get the films I wanted to see. The Essoldo became a bingo hall which, as far as I know, is still there, all the others have changed use to shops, offices or housing and Watford now boasts two huge Multiscreen sites, one in the INTU Centre, formerly The Harlequin, and one at Woodside Leisure centre. I think they boast twenty plus screens between them!! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 02 Jan 2021, 14:04 Our old Odeon is a listed building now, where we used to pay 3d for the Saturday matinee, Gene Autry or Flash Gordon :)

Geograph pic
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/i ... t-667291
Mecca bingo hall

© Copyright Derek Bennett and
licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

Geograph pic
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey